Powerful batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sorry, but it's "just hype" and your imagination..

There are no 40 amp, 18650 batteries, period. There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A!

That "40 amp" rating is either false advertising or a "pulse" rating, which is useless. A pulse rating, for those companies that actually use them, is meant to be a "one time" episode of electrical power surge when the battery is used with a BMS (battery management system) in a battery pack.

It appears you have a lot to learn about 18650 battery ratings and which batteries are best to use for our mods. I highly recommend that you watch the below videos from a battery expert who is dedicated to teaching vapers all over the world the truth about batteries and the companies that sell them.

The batteries that you are currently using come from China and are known as battery rewraps. These almost always have grossly inflated specifications. Learn what this means to you as a consumer. Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery?

Just out of curiosity, which batteries specifically are you using (brand and model number)? Chances are Mooch has bench tested them for their true specifications in his battery lab. Mooch's Complete List of Battery Tests.

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I use 40 amp 18650 batteries. They r supposed to be more powerful. I think they hit harder but it cud just be my imagination. R they really stronger then 20 amp or is it just hype?
What mod are you using? And as @Baditude has already asked, what brand and model batteries are you using?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Here is what mooch's testing showed.
Imren Purple 40A 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only a 20A battery, runs very hot

With that device, being regulated, you will not notice it hitting harder with different batteries. You may see some under powered batteries being weak at high wattage though.

Edit- I should also mention, 20a batteries are good up to 60w per cell. Since your device uses two, it is good up to 120w.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Ephraim, I’ve got to tell you I’m a bit worried about you.

Based on your use of texting shorthand I think you are young, young comes with the 8’ tall and bullet proof bravado.

Most of your posts seem to be related to a quest for more power. More power in a mod and battery can be a very dangerous quest.

You’ve bought a really expensive mod and know little to nothing about it (kudos for coming here to ask questions) but you seem to want/need validation that it is the most powerful mod made.

You want the most powerful battery available but have no understanding of batteries. THis lack of understanding can lead to a battery becoming a bomb rather quickly.

Baditude and ZaryK gave you links to mooch. You should watch all 11 episode of Minding Your mAhs. Understand Ohms Law, Watts Law, what causes a battery to go nuclear on you.

I am not trying to put you down, I’m truly concerned for you. In your vernacular, dood youre gonna blow your face off. WIll definitely be bad for you but in the end it hurts all of us as a community. It gives the news one story to sensationalize about the dangers of vaping and why more government oversight is needed.

Please keep coming back and asking questions. Lots of knowledgeable people here to help you. I’d hang out and post more for you but a 7:30 AM meeting but didn’t want to go to bed until I shared these few thoughts with you.

BTW the HexOhm V3 is a nice mod, if it was mine I’d want it to tell me the charge status of my batteries so they didn’t die on me unexpectedly, no biggie car spares but carry them in protective cases so you dont blow a big chunk out of your leg when they go thermal in your post let form shorting against your keys.

Take care Ephraim.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Ephraim, I’ve got to tell you I’m a bit worried about you.

Based on your use of texting shorthand I think you are young, young comes with the 8’ tall and bullet proof bravado.

Most of your posts seem to be related to a quest for more power. More power in a mod and battery can be a very dangerous quest.

You’ve bought a really expensive mod and know little to nothing about it (kudos for coming here to ask questions) but you seem to want/need validation that it is the most powerful mod made.

You want the most powerful battery available but have no understanding of batteries. THis lack of understanding can lead to a battery becoming a bomb rather quickly.

Baditude and ZaryK gave you links to mooch. You should watch all 11 episode of Minding Your mAhs. Understand Ohms Law, Watts Law, what causes a battery to go nuclear on you.

I am not trying to put you down, I’m truly concerned for you. In your vernacular, dood youre gonna blow your face off. WIll definitely be bad for you but in the end it hurts all of us as a community. It gives the news one story to sensationalize about the dangers of vaping and why more government oversight is needed.

Please keep coming back and asking questions. Lots of knowledgeable people here to help you. I’d hang out and post more for you but a 7:30 AM meeting but didn’t want to go to bed until I shared these few thoughts with you.

BTW the HexOhm V3 is a nice mod, if it was mine I’d want it to tell me the charge status of my batteries so they didn’t die on me unexpectedly, no biggie car spares but carry them in protective cases so you dont blow a big chunk out of your leg when they go thermal in your post let form shorting against your keys.

Take care Ephraim.
Im 42. I use short hand just cause its easier. My vape shop told me the hex ohm was the most powerful. Thats why I asked. And they sold me these bateries and said they were slightly more powerful. I took their word on it. They said they werent a lot more powerful but a little. I got the layer cake cause district 5fve told me it had the best flavor. Im in no danger cause my mod never leaves the house or ever eners my pocket and I use the same coils all the time. I ask u guys questions so I get non bias answers. Ive been vaping a year but still have a lot to learn. The hex ohm does blow big clouds now Im just searching for the perfect rda. Any suggestions?

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Im 42. I use short hand just cause its easier. My vape shop told me the hex ohm was the most powerful. Thats why I asked. And they sold me these bateries and said they were slightly more powerful. I took their word on it. They said they werent a lot more powerful but a little. I got the layer cake cause district 5fve told me it had the best flavor. Im in no danger cause my mod never leaves the house or ever eners my pocket and I use the same coils all the time. I ask u guys questions so I get non bias answers. Ive been vaping a year but still have a lot to learn. The hex ohm does blow big clouds now Im just searching for the perfect rda. Any suggestions?
I also use shorthand cause my spelling sucks.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
First of all, your vapeshop sucks.
The Hexohm isn't the most powerful mod available, and your batteries are overpriced junk. So is the Layercake.
If I were you, I'd give them the middle finger and feed them their crap through the backdoor.

You want to go past 120W on a regular basis? Take a triple or quad battery mod, because with a dual setup, overall runtime will be ridiculously low, power output sucks or the batteries just get strained too much. Or a combination thereof.

On an unregulated mod you just get the power that the batteries are able to provide, depending on voltage and resistance of the attached atomizer.
Strain or amp draw on the batteries decreases as the voltage drops.

On a regulated device, depending on how much your batteries are drained, actual maximum wattage will decrease, if the mod doesn't have a boost circuit. However if it has a boost circuit, the power output will aproximately be the same with full and low charged batteries, but it will strain the batteries a lot more, when the batts are near the cut off voltage.

Concerning RDA recommendations, just go back to your layercake thread.;)

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
First of all, your vapeshop sucks.
The Hexohm isn't the most powerful mod available, and your batteries are overpriced junk. So is the Layercake.
If I were you, I'd give them the middle finger and feed them their crap through the backdoor.

You want to go past 120W on a regular basis? Take a triple or quad battery mod, because with a dual setup, overall runtime will be ridiculously low, power output sucks or the batteries just get strained too much. Or a combination thereof.

On an unregulated mod you just get the power that the batteries are able to provide, depending on voltage and resistance of the attached atomizer.
Strain or amp draw on the batteries decreases as the voltage drops.

On a regulated device, depending on how much your batteries are drained, actual maximum wattage will decrease, if the mod doesn't have a boost circuit. However if it has a boost circuit, the power output will aproximately be the same with full and low charged batteries, but it will strain the batteries a lot more, when the batts are near the cut off voltage.

Concerning RDA recommendations, just go back to your layercake thread.;)
Thanks. Is the hex ohm still pretty powerful?

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Thanks. Is the hex ohm still pretty powerful?
I do really like the Layercake though even though a lot dont. My favorite rda was the Cosmonaut but they discontinued it. I still have on but I figured Id give the Layercake a try. I dont have any complaints. The flavor is good and the vapor compatible to the Cosmonaut. The only difference in the 2 is the Layercake has a more restricted airflow. But Im up for better options. U seem really really smart. What rda do u use? Id love to try it.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I do really like the Layercake though even though a lot dont. My favorite rda was the Cosmonaut but they discontinued it. I still have on but I figured Id give the Layercake a try. I dont have any complaints. The flavor is good and the vapor compatible to the Cosmonaut. The only difference in the 2 is the Layercake has a more restricted airflow. But Im up for better options. U seem really really smart. What rda do u use? Id love to try it.
I got my batteries cheap on batteries.com. I didnt pay a lot for them. I got them cause the vape shop said they were good. Guess I shud have posted here before I bought them. They r Imren 40amp purple batteries. Feel free to give me any advice u have. I listen to smart people and u seem really smart.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
With 300W+ mods available on the market, I'd say it's a midrange mod.
But even comparing it to equally designed mods and concerning raw power, for example the Tesla Invader 2 or 2/3 easily stomp over it though. And that for a fraction of the price of a Hex.

If you want the best bang for your buck right now, get the Sony VTC5A. There are even better batteries from Samsung in the pipeline, but they aren't readily available yet.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
With 300W+ mods available on the market, I'd say it's a midrange mod.
But even comparing it to equally designed mods and concerning raw power, for example the Tesla Invader 2 or 2/3 easily stomp over it though. And that for a fraction of the price of a Hex.

If you want the best bang for your buck right now, get the Sony VTC5A. There are even better batteries from Samsung in the pipeline, but they aren't readily available yet.
Can u send me a link to the VTC5A?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You've already been given good advice in this thread, the very first thing to do is read, watch & understand it.
Jumping in way over your head with the power device you're using can end up being dangerous.
No one can spoon feed you every little tidbit or walk you through everything you need to know.
Start with the basics.
Battery selection & safety.
To vape safely, the continuous discharge rate (CDR) of a cell is more important than mah.

The batteries you're using are erroneously labeled low quality rewrap cells, something I would not use at all for a quasi regulated series power device.

How much power a device has / can produce is meaningless to vape quality.

Obviously your vape shop didn't explain to you the hex ohm v3 is intended for;
This device is strictly for ADVANCED USERS and it is NOT recommended for beginners or those who do not fully understand your battery's Amp Limits in correlation with your Atomizer's Resistance.
Use a married pair of new/genuine high drain batteries with this device. There is no over-current protection, so keep in mind the amp limitations of your batteries as well. Use with extreme caution and always check your resistance with a meter (check often)! By purchasing the product, you agree that you are knowledgeable on how to properly use this product and that we are NOT responsible for any misuse or accidental malfunctions of this product.

Your best course of action is to set aside the hex ohm for later and get a decent regulated power device to use as you learn.
Decent meaning - fully regulated, full / normal protection circuitry, a screen that displays all pertinent info, comes with an instruction / owners manual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread