Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You can lead a horse to water, but,,,

We are all glad you're happy with your power device, no one is knocking it.
It is a good device for someone that fits its target market.
An experienced user that understands the device is strictly for ADVANCED USERS and it is NOT recommended for beginners or those who do not fully understand your battery's Amp Limits. In other words not recommended for those that don't understand basic battery safety & selection.
You had no idea the cells you were / are using are low quality rewrap erroneously labeled cells, the definition, difference & benefits of mah vs CDR.
Just those basic simple facts and the nature of the questions you ask make it crystal clear you're in way over your head & don't at all understand what you're doing.
You were basing your safety on what an incredibly ignorant vape shop told you...

The protections are very basic, crude & limited, not what anyone would define as comprehensive or reliable.
Again it is designed for use by experienced advanced vapers that already have firm understanding and working knowledge of all aspects of vaping safely.

If you don't understand the charts in the previous post, the one above this one,,, best to set it aside until you do.
Not throw it away or trash it,, get a fully regulated fully protected power device until you learn the basics.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Im not in any dangers. I use the same mod, same batteries, and same build all the time. I never change. Just getting advice. I never put my mod in my pocket. I only vape at home. I do everything safe. Just getting input thats all.
Often what we don't know can hurt us. Sincerely, none of us are being judgemental on your apparant lack of knowledge. I'm pleased as punch that you are coming here to ask questions. We are all here to help you and to be safe.

You seem to be seriously lacking in a basic understanding of battery specifications by not knowing what "mAh" means. Which battery spec is most important for sub-ohm vaping? Current rating (amps) or capacity (mAh)? The answer is the amp rating (continuous discharge rating). mAh simply is an approximation of how long a battery will stay charged during use, but extra mAh's are useless if the battery doesn't have the minimum amp rating needed to fire a coil safely.

You are apparently seriously lacking in a basic understanding of how a dual battery mechanical mod works: do you understand the difference between a "series" circuit vs "parallel" circuit mechanical mod? They are extremely different in how they work and perform.

In which circuit does voltage increase? Which circuit increases battery current (amps). Which circuit increases capacity (mAh)?

Your Hex Ohm 3 is a "series" mech mod. With a series mech, you don't actually have to (in fact, shouldn't) build down to super sub-ohm resistances because the voltage output is double what a single battery mech or parallel two battery mech has. You can see that in the diagram below of parallel 2-battery vs. single battery vs. 2-battery series circuits. Watch the video by Mooch which I provided earlier on the difference between dual battery parallel vs. dual battery series mods.

Do you know how to use an Ohm's Law calcultor to determine the "amp draw" of you coils, and understand how many amps your batteries need to have to vape safely?

You say that your Hex Ohm 3 keeps you safe because it has protection circuitry. Yes, it has some, but it doesn't have as much protection as a true regulated mod. I still consider the Hex Ohm to be a mech mod. It has a rudimentary potentiator to adjust voltage slightly, but it is not a regulated device. As Topwater said, "Obviously your vape shop didn't explain to you what the hex ohm v3 is intended for". Maybe they don't know either. I used to work in a vape shop, and the misinformation and ignorance given in many vape shops is staggering.

Your device is strictly for ADVANCED USERS and it is NOT recommended for beginners or those who do not fully understand their battery's Amp Limits in correlation with your Atomizer's Resistance. There is no over-current protection, so keep in mind the amp limitations of your batteries.

It would be impossible to spoon feed you what you don't know or understand in this thread. You have to do your homework. You been given videos and links to blogs designed to provide the information that you need. Watch and read them all. You have a lot of catching up to do to become an advanced user. If you still have questions, some advanced user on this forum will help you.

Here's more homework lessons for you:

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

UNREGULATED PARALLEL BOX MOD VS. UNREGULATED SERIES BOX MOD | VAPING BATTERY SAFETY

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod

Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?

4c11d818-d88d-4c8e-a53c-6489448a7e60-jpeg.759655

Above diagram assumes you are using at least a 25 amp CDR battery.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Look I realize you are getting upset by the answers you are getting. They are for your own safety. Honestly being unfamiliar with your device, I found contradictory information about it being regulated vs. a mech with some basic protections, but it is the latter, you should treat it as the latter and etc.

I will say MUCH of the time, what people do as a species, contains a little unsafety with it. I know people who drip while driving for example, or refill a tank, and maybe they are better drivers than me but honestly I would personally never take that chance. I don't text and drive or talk a ton in depth to my passengers, because the majority of my attention needs to be on the road. I have a realistic assessment of my driving capacities.

You don't have a realistic assessment of your vaping abilities OR your vape gear, and it is time for you to learn. PERIOD.

TAKE the time to watch videos, to read blogs, don't come on here asking sort of repetitive defensive questions and then throw up your hands and say, "Well, you do it FOR me."

If you want to vape complicated equipment or heck ANY equipment you need to SIT DOWN AND LEARN. The last thing I would ever trust my safety to would be the internet, or at least the internet generally, because I did not want to read and learn.

When someone posts something that seems complex to you the answer is NOT to say "Well you just tell me what to do," because that is not LEARNIGN that is blind obedience to, well first it was the vape shop, then it was just googling, now it is ECF.

You are not ready for this equipment and the last thing you NEED is more power at the moment. What you need is a SAFE battery that will work FOR YOU an understanding of the limitations of your equipment, and an understanding that MORE POWER is not the goal, all the time, non stop 24-7.

I don't care if you have been using this gear 6 months without incident, OTHER THAN the fact that you are SIX MONTHS closer to overstressing your battery and mod to the point that it will enter thermal runaway and vent on you.

All protections don't work 100% of the time and even with very simple basic, low power equipment.

You need to understand the dangers and the risks, because EVERY day you vape with what you have, and the batteries you have, you are ONE STEP closer to blowing up your gear and equipment, having used it for 6 months is NOT A VIRTUE it just means you were very LUCKY so far, and all luck eventually runs out, at a certain point in time.

If you want crazy power get a 3 battery 18650 mod or a two battery 27-- series battery mod. Get a regulated one. Get safe, legit batteries from recommended manufacturers.

DO ALL THAT correctly you will most CERTAINLY have the possibility of going higher than on what you have, building lower resistance, the sky is the limit THERE because you have more protections although you should never, ever, ever overstress your batteries, because that places you in a dangerous situation.

Doing what you are doing now is not appropriate. It's not. It just isn't. Doing it to your wife is even worse.

While there are times I say "Yeah Darwin triumphs and there is nothing I can do about it," I want to believe you can LEARN TO BE SAFE.

It's really doable but for the love of god, slow down.
Anna

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Often what we don't know can hurt us. Sincerely, none of us are being judgemental on your apparant lack of knowledge. I'm pleased as punch that you are coming here to ask questions. We are all here to help you and to be safe.

You seem to be seriously lacking in a basic understanding of battery specifications by not knowing what "mAh" means. Which battery spec is most important for sub-ohm vaping? Current rating (amps) or capacity (mAh)? The answer is the amp rating (continuous discharge rating). mAh simply is an approximation of how long a battery will stay charged during use, but extra mAh's are useless if the battery doesn't have the minimum amp rating needed to fire a coil safely.

You are apparently seriously lacking in a basic understanding of how a dual battery mechanical mod works: do you understand the difference between a "series" circuit vs "parallel" circuit mechanical mod? They are extremely different in how they work and perform.

In which circuit does voltage increase? Which circuit increases battery current (amps). Which circuit increases capacity (mAh)?

Your Hex Ohm 3 is a "series" mech mod. With a series mech, you don't actually have to (in fact, shouldn't) build down to super sub-ohm resistances because the voltage output is double what a single battery mech or parallel two battery mech has. You can see that in the diagram below of parallel 2-battery vs. single battery vs. 2-battery series circuits. Watch the video by Mooch which I provided earlier on the difference between dual battery parallel vs. dual battery series mods.

Do you know how to use an Ohm's Law calcultor to determine the "amp draw" of you coils, and understand how many amps your batteries need to have to vape safely?

You say that your Hex Ohm 3 keeps you safe because it has protection circuitry. Yes, it has some, but it doesn't have as much protection as a true regulated mod. I still consider the Hex Ohm to be a mech mod. It has a rudimentary potentiator to adjust voltage slightly, but it is not a regulated device. As Topwater said, "Obviously your vape shop didn't explain to you what the hex ohm v3 is intended for". Maybe they don't know either. I used to work in a vape shop, and the misinformation and ignorance given in many vape shops is staggering.

Your device is strictly for ADVANCED USERS and it is NOT recommended for beginners or those who do not fully understand their battery's Amp Limits in correlation with your Atomizer's Resistance. There is no over-current protection, so keep in mind the amp limitations of your batteries.

It would be impossible to spoon feed you what you don't know or understand in this thread. You have to do your homework. You been given videos and links to blogs designed to provide the information that you need. Watch and read them all. You have a lot of catching up to do to become an advanced user. If you still have questions, some advanced user on this forum will help you.

Here's more homework lessons for you:

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

UNREGULATED PARALLEL BOX MOD VS. UNREGULATED SERIES BOX MOD | VAPING BATTERY SAFETY

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod

Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?

Above diagram assumes you are using at least a 25 amp CDR battery.
The HexOhm V3 is not a mech mod. It does have built-in safety features such as low voltage cut-off, reverse battery protection, and a 10-second puff cut-off timer. It will fire at .2 ohms or above at 100% (potentiometer dial), whereas at .1 ohm it will fire at or below around 50%. With a pair of Samsung 20S batteries installed in it, there is very little that you can do wrong with the device that you can't equally do wrong with just about any decent regulated mod, and besides, he already said he isn't going to build to super low ohms. So what are you worried about? :p

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Sorry, but it's "just hype" and your imagination..

There are no 40 amp, 18650 batteries, period. There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A!

That "40 amp" rating is either false advertising or a "pulse" rating, which is useless. A pulse rating, for those companies that actually use them, is meant to be a "one time" episode of electrical power surge when the battery is used with a BMS (battery management system) in a battery pack.

It appears you have a lot to learn about 18650 battery ratings and which batteries are best to use for our mods. I highly recommend that you watch the below videos from a battery expert who is dedicated to teaching vapers all over the world the truth about batteries and the companies that sell them.

The batteries that you are currently using come from China and are known as battery rewraps. These almost always have grossly inflated specifications. Learn what this means to you as a consumer. Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery?

Just out of curiosity, which batteries specifically are you using (brand and model number)? Chances are Mooch has bench tested them for their true specifications in his battery lab. Mooch's Complete List of Battery Tests.

I just talked to a buddy of mine thats been vaping for years and says hes used 20 amp batteries in his Hex Ohm for over a year. He's never had to buy new batteries nor has he ever had an issue and he runs his on full power like me. He uses a mech mod now but still uses his Hex Ohm. He uses a double stack purge mech mod so I wud assume he knows all about batteries and ohms laws. He said it doesnt hurt a thing.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I just talked to a buddy of mine thats been vaping for years and says hes used 20 amp batteries in his Hex Ohm for over a year. He's never had to buy new batteries nor has he ever had an issue and he runs his on full power like me. He uses a mech mod now but still uses his Hex Ohm. He uses a double stack purge mech mod so I wud assume he knows all about batteries and ohms laws. He said it doesnt hurt a thing.
You could assume that he knows what he is doing, but I have seen PLENTY of guys that claim they do, but still build and run their mechs in a very dangerous fashion. It is your health, do what you want with it. You obviously just want to justify your choices and do not really want advice.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
You could assume that he knows what he is doing, but I have seen PLENTY of guys that claim they do, but still build and run their mechs in a very dangerous fashion. It is your health, do what you want with it. You obviously just want to justify your choices and do not really want advice.
Im taking advice. I been looking at batteries all day.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Well I own 21 purge mechs that also includes a 4-battery stack, and, because 6V is the max voltage that the HexOhm V3 can output, the lowest that you can build on it to be on the safe side if using 20A batteries (such as the ones that you have now) is .3 ohms. 6V / .3 ohms = 20A

Purge Maelstrom stacked.jpg

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Well I own 21 purge mechs that also includes a 4-battery stack, and, because 6V is the max voltage that the HexOhm V3 can output, the lowest that you can build on it to be on the safe side if using 20A batteries (such as the ones that you have now) is .3 ohms. 6V / .3 ohms = 20A

View attachment 760819
What batteries do u use in ur purge?

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018

View attachment 760819
My build is .35

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Im taking advice. I been looking at batteries all day.
That is resepctable. Your safety should be your primary concern. With the build you have, you are maxing out at ~105ish watts, so 20a batteries would get you there, but I would highly suggest better brands or a 25a batteries for more of a safety buffer zone.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
That is resepctable. Your safety should be your primary concern. With the build you have, you are maxing out at ~105ish watts, so 20a batteries would get you there, but I would highly suggest better brands or a 25a batteries for more of a safety buffer zone.
I ohm out a .35.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The HexOhm V3 is not a mech mod. It does have built-in safety features such as low voltage cut-off, reverse battery protection, and a 10-second puff cut-off timer. It will fire at .2 ohms or above at 100% (potentiometer dial), whereas at .1 ohm it will fire at or below around 50%.
I guess we agree to disagree here. I do not consider a rudimentary potentiometer a true regulated mod with all of the usual protection circuitry. The HexOhm 3 does not apparently have short circuit protection, high temperature protection, over current protection. I still consider the HexOhm 3 just a two battery series mech mod with some minimalist protection.

With a pair of Samsung 20S batteries installed in it, there is very little that you can do wrong with the device that you can't equally do wrong with just about any decent regulated mod...
You seem to be implying that two batteries used in series doubles the amps. It doesn't, it only increases the voltage (6 volts in the Hex), not the current rating nor the mAh rating. It is the same as if using a single battery mod.

... and besides, he already said he isn't going to build to super low ohms. So what are you worried about? :p
0.35 ohm I believe is his current build. That's super low ohms in my book. It's nearing the threshold of a single 20 amp battery like he was using. And that build is way over what many experts recommend for a series mech mod (again, we probably agree to disagree).

I'm also concerned that original poster appears to have a major lack of battery knowledge and how different electrical circuits are applied. And probably a poor understanding of Ohm's Law.

He is using what many consider to be an advanced setup, not for beginners. Yes he's been using this setup for 6 months without an incident. But just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Last edited:

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I guess we agree to disagree here. I do not consider a rudimentary potentiometer a true regulated mod with all of the usual protection circuitry. The HexOhm 3 does not apparently have short circuit protection, high temperature protection, over current protection. I still consider the HexOhm 3 just a two battery series mech mod with some minimalist protection.

You seem to be implying that two batteries used in series doubles the amps. It doesn't, it only increases the voltage (6 volts in the Hex), not the current rating nor the mAh rating.

0.3 ohm I believe is his current build. That's super low ohms in my book. It's nearing the threshold of a single 30 amp battery. And that build is way over what many experts recommend for a series mech mod (again, we probably agree to disagree).

I'm also concerned that original poster appears to have a major lack of battery knowledge and how different electrical circuits are applied. And probably a poor understanding of Ohm's Law.
I ohm out at.35. Thats pretty decent.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
My build is .35
Yes, so you are still on the safe side because like I said, .3 is the lowest you can go on your mod to be on the safe side if using 20A batteries, and, as for the batteries you said you are using now, they are 20A batteries so that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread