Powerful batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What the difference in the voltage of a battery and the amps?
Voltage, amp rating, and capacity are battery specifications.

Voltage is the energy the battery has to fire a coil. 4.2 volts fully charged. 3.7 volts is the nominal, or average charge of the battery during use. Around 3.4 volts a regulated mod will cut off. In a dual battery series mod, two batteries = 8.4 volts, but the HexOhm limits the total voltage output to 6 volts.

The amp rating is the current limit a particular battery can be used safely. Usually 15, 20, 25, or 30 amps continuous discharge depending upon the model of battery.

Capacity is a very rough approximation of how long a battery will deliver its current over a single charge. Generally speaking, more mAh = longer battery time per charge.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

Are you sure you are of age to vape or participate in these forums?
Have you read any of the many responses, supplied links or watched any of the videos explaining all this?

Yes, so you are still on the safe side because like I said, .3 is the lowest you can go on your mod to be on the safe side if using 20A batteries, and, as for the batteries you said you are using now, they are 20A batteries so that's that.

When using any re wrap erroneously labeled cell there is no guarantee or anyway for anyone to be certain what exact cell is being used or what the true CDR for that exact cell might or might not be.
Telling someone with this little understanding of the very beginning basics ' go ahead you'll be fine ' is not at all good or safe advice.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I guess we agree to disagree here. I do not consider a rudimentary potentiometer a true regulated mod with all of the usual protection circuitry. The HexOhm 3 does not apparently have short circuit protection, high temperature protection, over current protection. I still consider the HexOhm 3 just a two battery series mech mod with some minimalist protection.

You seem to be implying that two batteries used in series doubles the amps. It doesn't, it only increases the voltage (6 volts in the Hex), not the current rating nor the mAh rating. It is the same as if using a single battery mod.

0.35 ohm I believe is his current build. That's super low ohms in my book. It's nearing the threshold of a single 20 amp battery like he was using. And that build is way over what many experts recommend for a series mech mod (again, we probably agree to disagree).

4c11d818-d88d-4c8e-a53c-6489448a7e60-jpeg.759655

I'm also concerned that original poster appears to have a major lack of battery knowledge and how different electrical circuits are applied. And probably a poor understanding of Ohm's Law.

He is using what many consider to be an advanced setup, not for beginners. Yes he's been using this setup for 6 months without an incident. But just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Unregulated mods are not mech mods. I'm not implying it doubles the amps, and I have no idea why you think I am implying that it does. It doesn't. The HexOhm V3 will not fire the coils if the potentiometer is set to its maximum of 100% and the coil build is below .2 ohms (which effectively limits the mod to 30A because the voltage is limited to 6V), and, it will not fire the coils if the potentiometer is set to above somewhere around 50% and the coil build is at .1 ohms (because, again, the mod is limited to 6V and 30A, for safety). If the coil build is below .1 ohm, the mod will not fire the coils. And the mod has an on/off switch for even more safety. HexOhm doesn't recommend going below .2 ohms on this mod. But the OP has already pointed out he is going to stay at .35 ohms. This is a quality device that doesn't require the user to be advanced.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Seriously,,, is this why the manufacturer advises re sellers / vendors to pass along this warning that many / most do not

" This device is strictly for ADVANCED USERS and it is NOT recommended for beginners or those who do not fully understand your battery's Amp Limits in correlation with your Atomizer's Resistance. Use a married pair of new/genuine high drain batteries with this device. There is also no over-current protection, so keep in mind the amp limitations of your batteries as well. Use with extreme caution and always check your resistance with a meter (check often)! By purchasing the product, you agree that you are knowledgeable on how to properly use this product and that we are NOT responsible for any misuse or accidental malfunctions of this product."

No one said this a a bad or dangerous power device, it does not have hard amp limits like a fully regulated power device does.
It isn't unusual at all for this device to fire above the boards 30a maximum rating, up to & past the point it starts making noises.
Sure most of the time it does refuse to fire, but it has no actual amp input or output limiting circuitry, it is a byproduct of over loading the mosfet causing feedback into the board.
It is great device for experienced users that do not want various features common on fully regulated power devices and do not want hard limits.

It is a tremendously lousy device for someone that doesn't understand the very first thing about the batteries we use, what mah is, what voltage means, what amps are, why CDR is important or even the size differences ...

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Seriously,,, is this why the manufacturer advises re sellers / vendors to pass along this warning that many / most do not

" This device is strictly for ADVANCED USERS and it is NOT recommended for beginners or those who do not fully understand your battery's Amp Limits in correlation with your Atomizer's Resistance. Use a married pair of new/genuine high drain batteries with this device. There is also no over-current protection, so keep in mind the amp limitations of your batteries as well. Use with extreme caution and always check your resistance with a meter (check often)! By purchasing the product, you agree that you are knowledgeable on how to properly use this product and that we are NOT responsible for any misuse or accidental malfunctions of this product."

It is a tremendously lousy device for someone that doesn't understand the very first thing about the batteries we use, what mah is, what voltage means, why CDR is important or even the size differences ...
giphy.gif

Last edited:

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
The voltage of a battery can be somewhat confusing. The typical round cells we use are usually 3.7V nominal, but the nominal voltage is just some kind of weighted average number so not very useful. If the battery is fully charged it will be at 4.2V, and that is if the battery is not placed under load, i.e. if the battery is just resting. Resting means there's no current flowing through the battery and there has been no current flowing through it for at least 30 seconds (or for several minutes if you want to measure it more accurately). The voltage if the battery is resting is called the resting voltage. So the resting voltage of a typical round cell (like an 18650 for example) is 4.2V if the battery is fully charged. You can measure it with a multimeter.

The amps are the intensity of the electric current. In a simplified language, higher voltage pushes the amps up higher, whilst higher ohms pushes them down, and that is determined by Ohm's law, as the amps are equal to the volts divided by the ohms. So if the battery is placed under load, an electric current starts to flow through the battery, and the intensity of this current that we draw from the battery as a result from placing it under load is the number of amps we get. The maximum amp draw, or current load that a battery can handle with relative safety in mind, is called the CDR (Continuous Discharge Rate). Different batteries can have a different CDR rating. It is mostly determined by the relationship between how hot the battery gets if placed continuously under a constant load and the number of amps this constant load is at. More heat = higher level of risk. Staying at or below the CDR will not guarantee perfect safety, as these batteries can never be totally safe, but reasonable safety is why we have to recommend it to new vapers. The CDR of various many different batteries to choose between can be found in Mooch's list of battery ratings on his blog. But you should read what's written on his blog, and IMO you should also visit his personal YouTube channel where he goes under the name of Battery Mooch, as there's just too much important information to teach about battery safety and battery performance.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium

No one said this a a bad or dangerous power device, it does not have hard amp limits like a fully regulated power device does.
It isn't unusual at all for this device to fire above the boards 30a maximum rating, up to & past the point it starts making noises.
Sure most of the time it does refuse to fire, but it has no actual amp input or output limiting circuitry, it is a byproduct of over loading the mosfet causing feedback into the board.
It is great device for experienced users that do not want various features common on fully regulated power devices and do not want hard limits.

It is a tremendously lousy device for someone that doesn't understand the very first thing about the batteries we use, what mah is, what voltage means, what amps are, why CDR is important or even the size differences ...
No such warning can be found on the official product page for the HexOhm 3.0 because you are just simply making this up.

• Creative
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
No such warning can be found on the official product page for the HexOhm 3.0 because you are just simply making this up.
Responsible vendors that truly care about their customers' well being will include a user warning such as ...
This device is strictly for ADVANCED USERS and it is NOT recommended for beginners or those who do not fully understand your battery's Amp Limits in correlation with your Atomizer's Resistance

Element Vape
8 Vape

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

That is because it is something that is between the manufacturer & dealers, which can chose to or not to mention it at all.

I'm not participating in this thread to entertain someone who's main goal is to argue with anyone that will, I am trying to help the OP, someone that is extremely confused about the very basics of vaping safely.

Clearly you have never used one, like I said many times before, the device usually won't fire in an over current situation, most often it will refuse to fire, but, not always.
Sometimes it will fire in an over current situation, even while the silly thing is humming buzzing squealing from obvious overload.

One reason it is a sought after device for experienced vapers that enjoy or experiment with pushing boundaries, because if you either know how to or do it by accident it will fire beyond the boards 30a rating.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um @dripster this may be a foreign concept to you, but there are these things called newcomers to the vape world, sometimes very confused newcomers, who could actually you know, be harmed by your particular take on vaping, and accusing members of making stuff up when they don't isn't cool at all.

Like, could you go beat your dead horse somewhere that won't impede the safe traffic of newcomer vapers who are better equipped to deal with your utterances of unsafety.

I don't care how YOU vape and maybe you will put me on ignore again, but your behavior isn't acceptable and I'd also like your name and identifying information in order that I never vape next to you, because I don't want to have to deal with YOUR shrapnel and yes I would sue you for every penny that you have, but I have a hunch that you don't have enough money to fix my glorious face.

Please do remember that people can get harmed by your advice and very nearness to you, despite your ever-present haze of bravado. Bravado is not the same as full body armor or an IUD protectant suit. Which I suggest you buy and wear all the time, it would be neighborly to those around you and you'd be typing slower, also a bonus, as maybe some wisdom might slip out.

There is no excuse for this. YOU KNOW IT, TOO.

Anna

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
That is because it is something that is between the manufacturer & dealers, which can chose to or not to mention it at all.

I'm not participating in this thread to entertain someone who's main goal is to argue with anyone that will, I am trying to help the OP, someone that is extremely confused about the very basics of vaping safely.

Clearly you have never used one, like I said many times before, the device usually won't fire in an over current situation, most often it will refuse to fire, but, not always.
Sometimes it will fire in an over current situation, even while the silly thing is humming buzzing squealing from obvious overload.

One reason it is a sought after device for experienced vapers that enjoy or experiment with pushing boundaries, because if you either know how to or do it by accident it will fire beyond the boards 30a rating.
Where's your evidence that it can still go into overload even after you followed the manufacturer's recommendation of staying at or above .2 ohms?

• Optimistic

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Responsible vendors that truly care about their customers' well being will include a user warning such as ...
This device is strictly for ADVANCED USERS and it is NOT recommended for beginners or those who do not fully understand your battery's Amp Limits in correlation with your Atomizer's Resistance

Element Vape
8 Vape
8 Vape also warns about this:
Please be aware that there is no low-voltage protection in this unregulated box, so be aware of what voltage your batteries are firing at.

My point is these vendors can just put up whatever warning text that they desire, as everyone who did a little research already knows that this is just fake information having been copied by some inexperienced employee. The HexOhm 3.0 does have low-voltage protection so please go and give me a break.

• Optimistic

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Mute point guys. OP is going to continue to use the Hex3. Help him with keeping safe using it.
Great suggestion, this was my original intent last night. I notice Ephraim hasn’t been back in a while, my guess is we lost him along the way.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I wish I could help more but don't understand the battery stuff very well myself. I ask and was always kindly given the answers I was seeking. Some of us just need our questions answered to keep safe. I will never quite understand the electrical side of vaping but I am capable of learning what tools keep me and those around me safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread