Preparing For "Civil Disobedience".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
Giraut - not sure if you are aware of this forum here: Modding Forum

You may find some useful information there to help with this project. :)

Yeah I'm aware of the modding forum. I've spent quite some time reading the threads there. But it won't help me much in this case: my project isn't about designing the perfect mod (although I hope it'll be pretty nice), nor being compatible with existing vaping hardware, but rather is a "clean room" design that purposedly ignores what can be obtained today in vaping stores or on the internet, and ignores the legacy standards all mod makers seem to insist on following today.

I'm imagining a world in which vaping has been banned, and trying to come up with a nice mod design that can be made in such a world, with off-the-shelf components that have nothing to do with vaping. The design will be totally open, and available to anybody who cares to make it. If someone else comes up with a similar project to create nicotine liquids, it'll ensure The Man can never ban it - and I wouldn't put it past our corrupt governments to try some day if they have a chance.

Not to mention, I think some of the technical choices in current mod designs are rather poor, and I want to explore other ways of doing things.

When my first prototype is complete though, I will most certainly open a thread in the modding forum.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I am pretty sure taxes have a lot to do with ecig regulation. The PACT act ending RYO shops was passed solely on the basis of "it's a loophole around taxes". Not only do you have state sales taxes but also the Tobacco Master Settlement makes payouts to states based on the number of cigarettes sold. In most states, that money has already been budgeted and spent far in advance of anyone actualy recieving the funds. It's paid for a lot of tax cuts.

Vaping should in fact lead to a net increase in state revenues: tax incomes on tobacco drop, but so do health insurance expenses due to tobacco-related illnesses - at least in Europe. However, the problems are:

1/ Taxes on tobacco products are a "dense" source of revenue (i.e. one product, one tax, beaucoup bucks) while health-related savings are diffuse and hard to measure (fewer cancers, but also happier, more active, more productive people who work better/harder... that sort of thing).

2/ The drop in cancers and associated savings will kick in 10 to 20 years from now, while politicians never plan for the future past the next election.

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
It's paid for a lot of tax cuts.
For those who actually think about it, this is an infuriating bit if 1984ish newspeak.

"Pay" for tax cuts? Like it's the .gov's money and we have to have some sort of an excuse to deprive them of it?

How about the politically incorrect "letting people keep what is theirs?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread