Printed DNA 40 Bottom Feeder Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanMoore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
United States
How fast can you swap your battery and refill your juice challenge..... :)

... right around 23 seconds, but I have to open the top of the juice bottle. Thanks for the awesome mod! I can literally do it before SWMBO gets her stuff to get in the car. It's great.

Reactions: gdeal

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
any ideas how to mod the printed button for the mini connector to work on the tact switch? basically, fit something in there to make the protrusion smaller
It should have came with two buttons, one for each switch type. I am 90% sure mine did.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
It should have came with two buttons, one for each switch type. I am 90% sure mine did.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Yea it did. I didn't realize this at the time and only clear coated the one button. When putting the device together I figured out I did the wrong button. I've been using the unfinished button and it doesn't look nearly as good as the finished button. I would like to mod the finished button to work with the tact switch

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Yea it did. I didn't realize this at the time and only clear coated the one button. When putting the device together I figured out I did the wrong button. I've been using the unfinished button and it doesn't look nearly as good as the finished button. I would like to mod the finished button to work with the tact switch

Much simpler to clear coat the correct button. I don't know if the newer ones are similar, but I modified one of the Beta buttons (They were Alps fire button only IIRC) to take a ball tact switch and I can tell you the slightest screwup would have ruined it.

BTW, I don't know if you guys realize how far this design has come since the Beta, but G deserves a big Thank You for evolving it to where it is today.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
The alps button just has an extended pin in the center of the fire button. Just make it the same depth as the one in the tact switch version. It shouldn't be that difficult to do. Do a depth measurement with a caliper and dremel away...

don't have a dremel but I might try my drill press out

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
I used the drill press like a Dremel and it worked out lol

0466cea254e37ec4a4848688df95a9d0.jpg

Was able to flush mount the atty too

SeanMoore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
United States
Just paid for my DNA chips through mikepetros' co-op, stoke level:80%.

The plan is to get a hakko, mod my ZNA to carry a DNA25 then build two gDNA40s. Anyone want to talk me out of buying the Hakko soldering station on amazon?

Are the kits from livewire for the DNA40 as complete as the peko kit? I haven't even looked at them yet, do they have a good switch and all that? Would you replace the switch it came with with a different switch if you had it to do again?

Reactions: SkinyFatMan

autobiogphnation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago
Just paid for my DNA chips through mikepetros' co-op, stoke level:80%.

The plan is to get a hakko, mod my ZNA to carry a DNA25 then build two gDNA40s. Anyone want to talk me out of buying the Hakko soldering station on amazon?

Are the kits from livewire for the DNA40 as complete as the peko kit? I haven't even looked at them yet, do they have a good switch and all that? Would you replace the switch it came with with a different switch if you had it to do again?
No need for a hakko. I just used a Weller 35watt with a fine tip. As for the switch, you get two options in the kit. No complaints with the options provided.

SeanMoore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
United States
Weller 35watt with a fine tip.

You're fine with that $40 weller on amazon huh? I want to use this project to springboard into other electronics projects so I thought that spending the $100 for the hakko would be a good idea. It's for me and my stepson and I'm sure we'll get use out of the soldering station beyond me making a couple ecigs. I want to be able to solder big brass washers to big wire for radio stuff in the future.

Good to know about the switches, thanks.

autobiogphnation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago
You're fine with that $40 weller on amazon huh? I want to use this project to springboard into other electronics projects so I thought that spending the $100 for the hakko would be a good idea. It's for me and my stepson and I'm sure we'll get use out of the soldering station beyond me making a couple ecigs. I want to be able to solder big brass washers to big wire for radio stuff in the future.

Good to know about the switches, thanks.
I don't recall the cost of the Weller I used, it's at work and I didn't pay for it (Thank you work), but I believe the model is wp35. But I work as a electronics repair technician on CNC controls/servos etc and that Weller works good enough for me to make clean solder joints day in and day out on both my work related and personal projects.
A good tool only gets you so far, the rest is all in proper technique. If you go with the Weller a proper tinning on the initial use in a timely manner is crucial because if you don't get it good, the varnish coating that they have on the tips will burn up and your solder will have a tough time sticking and you'll have to scrape the coating off which can scratch up the tip and kill the longevity. Basically I just sit there as it heats up, trying to tin it every few seconds when I know it's getting warm until it finally melts. My coworker goes through tips nearly twice as fast as me because he doesn't tin it right away, he just let's it heat up and the varnish burns and then has to ride the struggle bus.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

SeanMoore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
United States
Yeah, that sounds worth the extra $60 to me, Drunk_J. I never mind spending some money on tools if I think I'm going to use it past the first project. One use? Harbor Freight. Three uses? Home Depot. Lifetime? Go to the supply store. Marshalltown trowels have saved me so much agony on tilesetting jobs that I just buy a red handle on instinct.

Walter Ego

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wild West
Here you go KS
RE560911714SE
I'm making buttons out of copper, brass and aluminium, I have a 3.1 alps button, I need offer buttons and switches for measurements. If anyone had some spared they can part with please pm .

There the 3.1 alps button.
b7707c50d27077f560fe4840e24c66b9.jpg
815c07da23fe7d2f7c1baa8938a2c837.jpg
d556a92aeba87962c7507fa368d2b80f.jpg
/v2/15/03/13/3a2c1ab5a2203845b7d255e5ec650c4f.jpg[/IMG]
040877565fd81da07db46c1f5906c4d8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread