USA
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Sumratio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh
Has anyone tried using RIT dye to color Scuplteo plastics? Just a thought but I have used it at work to color code plastic fittings and the dye penetrates pretty deep, I have never seen it wear off and it is vibrant. Might be worth trying on some of the scrap pieces like the connector ring. I will try it on my next build.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
  • Deleted by Unforeseen

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
  • Deleted by Unforeseen

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
  • Deleted by Unforeseen

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
  • Deleted by Unforeseen

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
  • Deleted by Unforeseen

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
So, the Beta Team never sleeps.....

Kataphraktos came up with a great idea to self secure the top cap mini connectors. :)

One of the more intensive steps in the assembly, is to get glue precisely around the mini-connectors in the the top cap internal with out making a mess. There is not a lot of room and this can be challenging. Kata came up with a simplified approach that can eliminate the glue. Basically we go to a compression fit and put a bar down the middle of the inside of the top cap that rests on the inside of the mini-connectors top surface. When the top cap is fully assembled, it would immobilize the mini-connectors. Well it worked! The only new technique is that you need to make sure your solders are a bit more precise in placement. You basically make sure that the solder points are on the top and/or outside of the mini-connector solder pins.

So for the test fit you just put the internal into the top cap after placement of the mini-connector and made sure of two things. The first is that at the 510 hole you can see the internal is flush against the top cap and has no wobble and the second is that while holding the caps tight together, you cant push the mini connect in from the out side. You can shave the bar down slightly if your solders aren't quite in the right place. If you like glue, you can still use glue as well.

Good news is that its already in the Updated v4.2 :) So if you recently got prints, you have the new feature.

Here is a picture from Drunk_J showing great solder placement and technique and the new securement bar in the top cap. (We are calling it the "D" Leg)

qfWwcTI.jpg

The build doc has also been updated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1t37eb2yi2k0o36/GDNA Build Doc.pdf?dl=0

I ordered new internals over the weekend (sunday)

they didn't print yet

does this mean I'll have that as well? it wasn't the "shards" that was causing the issue. it was the dean connectors and glue

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
  • Deleted by Unforeseen

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
  • Deleted by Unforeseen

RGLP4Lyfe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
PA
I have this new feature. I've got everything all wired up mostly. My board seems to be all correct and decent solder.. I'm so close to having it done. Only problem I'm having is getting solder to stick on the brass washer in the top cap!!! Its broke loose 3 times. I even tried soldering on a SS washer. No luck... it keeps breaking free. I'm so close and this frustrated me so much last night I just put it all away
Any tips professionals?

-Mark

BigLungs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2012
Champaign, Illinois
I have this new feature. I've got everything all wired up mostly. My board seems to be all correct and decent solder.. I'm so close to having it done. Only problem I'm having is getting solder to stick on the brass washer in the top cap!!! Its broke loose 3 times. I even tried soldering on a SS washer. No luck... it keeps breaking free. I'm so close and this frustrated me so much last night I just put it all away
Any tips professionals?

-Mark

Sounds like you need to hold the soldering iron on longer, not getting the brass washer hot enough. My :2c:

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
The stainless steel washer will be harder to solder to. Solder doesn't like to stick to stainless steel. You could try using more flux on the washer. Maybe even sanding the edge of the washer clean first to get the solder to stick better. Finally, you do need to get that washer hot for the solder to flow and stick.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Any tips professionals?

-Mark

Clean the brass with some sandpaper or a fine wire brush then tin it and tin the wire before trying to solder the two together. Also, make sure your iron tip is clean and tinned. Use something with low heat absorption like a wooden close pin to hold the brass washer and get it hot enough to melt the solder you tinned on it and while still holding the iron on it touch the pre tinned wire to the iron and washer. As soon as you see the solder from the wire flow into the solder on the washer remove the iron but hold the wire still against the washer. If you move it while the solder is solidifying it will make a "cold" solder joint that won't hold or conduct well.

RGLP4Lyfe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
PA
Clean the brass with some sandpaper or a fine wire brush then tin it and tin the wire before trying to solder the two together. Also, make sure your iron tip is clean and tinned. Use something with low heat absorption like a wooden close pin to hold the brass washer and get it hot enough to melt the solder you tinned on it and while still holding the iron on it touch the pre tinned wire to the iron and washer. As soon as you see the solder from the wire flow into the solder on the washer remove the iron but hold the wire still against the washer. If you move it while the solder is solidifying it will make a "cold" solder joint that won't hold or conduct well.
Thank you all for your input. I did file the brass washer to get a clean scratchy surface, and I did also tin both the wire and washer. Alex Mundy, one thing I can say is that the tip of my solder iron is NOT clean. I guess I should take some sandpaper to it! And I did hold it there for a while but when I moved it to adjust it to the vent screw it popped off. 4 times! I will clean my iron and try this again tomorrow after work.

-Mark

moresalt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tucson,Az
Nice innovation on that top cap. I also like the idea of not having to glue that...too bad I already got both of my prints and the top cap is done on 1 of them. But then again there is a small trick to glueing the deans connectors. I push the deans connector up just a bit and then you can get some of that gel (on a toothpick) on 2 sides of the deans connector through the side window. That seems to be sufficient for my builds and there's not much mess.

BTW, Gdeal, did you ever hear anything more about those prints that had the raised strip?

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
  • Deleted by Unforeseen

moresalt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tucson,Az
Nice trick on the glue!

No progress from Sculpteo. I sent multiple emails, tried to get a technician or engineer on the phone, they dont like to talk directly to their customers apparently. Eventually after just getting the standard, its within print tolerance, blah blah blah, I sorta gave up. Its just a shame that most of their prints are really good (excluding the recent dye jobs) and there is no second good alternative at this point.
No worries. Even with the body still half painted you can only see the strip with it turned so the light hits it just right. Sorry you ended up going through that hassle.

And Rossum, thanks.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
  • Deleted by Unforeseen

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013