Status
Not open for further replies.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
Not "just to keep it working". To keep it running the way it should. I have been using Pekos for a while now. This is how I roll. I think what you're missing is that some people wanted less maintenance, so they asked for some advice on how. Hench the plethora of posts.

Running as I do with dual 5/64id 29g 6 wrap 1.35r coils (tensioned to adhesion) for a total of 0.7r, I can say no. There is no blackening. But brass tarnishes. There is a BIG difference in a well maintained mod (of any type) as opposed to a poorly maintained one.

Fortune favors the Bottom Feeders.

I get that, and I guess what I was saying, is maintenance shouldn't be a major task,

first, make sure you use an oxidation ......ant (De-Oxit Gold) after cleanings
secondly, make sure you have no play on the negative contact, to reduce arching,

It should take minutes a week, to clean exposed areas

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
I replaced the brass rod with a piece of 10 gauge bare copper, and the upper with a super flexible silicone (don't remember the size), magnets instead of spring, used the old style Reo 510 center pin, and made silver plated beryllium copper contacts for the 510 connections when I built my Beta and have never had it apart since the modifications done before the V1 was released except removed the top cap once to paint it. I run .7 ohms daily in a very hostile environment at work. About every 2 weeks I thoroughly clean it with hot water and let it dry. No muss no fuss and still extremely low voltage drop.

2014-09-05%2018.03.37_zpsnz0liwsv.jpg

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I've been running my 18650 since early January, I believe, and have never had to take it apart for anything to this day, with exception of loosening the 510 when changing atty's on it). I have run .3Ω regularly in it since day 1 and on occasion as low as .23Ω. The only maintenance I have had to do on it is clean the positive contact screw with an eraser and apply De-ox-it, maybe once every 45-60 days. Though it is not my ADV everyday, it is my ADV during the summer months when I'm landscaping 5-6 days a week. It shares vape time with my 26650 and 2 REO's most of the time otherwise. When I first got it I was vaping 3mg but since June/July I have been vaping 0mg with hardly a notice of missing the nic...

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
So I cleaned the negative screw and place a 4.13V charged hg2. Voltage is 3.57V with a 0.315 ohm coil. Which means drop is 0.56V which makes the resistance of mod plus battery at 0.049 not accounting for initial sag. Hg2 is at 0.02 ohms so resistance of mod is at 0.029 which is with the best mods I have.

TL;DR no need to do full disassembly and clean, never did since day 1 and still hits more than any other mod i have.

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
I got all the soldering finished and was putting it back together. Everything together and I noticed the button pin was sticking out a little to far. Started adjusting it and realized something was not right. The nut had popped loose, and then my magnet did too. lol... Its drying now, I am ready to get it back running but will have to wait for the epoxy to cure. Once it does I will post pics.

Reactions: Moxienator

Moxienator

Super Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Central Mass
I got all the soldering finished and was putting it back together. Everything together and I noticed the button pin was sticking out a little to far. Started adjusting it and realized something was not right. The nut had popped loose, and then my magnet did too. lol... Its drying now, I am ready to get it back running but will have to wait for the epoxy to cure. Once it does I will post pics.

I ended up using the heavy spring on all my Pekos due to the wire mods being so flexible. That throw is going to be LIGHT!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tagi

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Hmmmm, that sounds too severe to be just a contact arc, I never get black on my firing pin screw, something is loose somewhere
Not sure if it's because of the 0.3 ohms, but there is nothing loose. I have pitting on my 4 pekos. If anyone knows of a way to stop the pitting i would be more than happy :)

Moxienator

Super Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Central Mass
Not sure if it's because of the 0.3 ohms, but there is nothing loose. I have pitting on my 4 pekos. If anyone knows of a way to stop the pitting i would be more than happy :)
I run at 0.7 with clean contacts on 2 pekos. No pitting. :unsure:

If everything is tight, maybe it is due to the low resistance. There is not a lot of mass to conduct the current. Do your contacts get hot?

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
I run at 0.7 with clean contacts on 2 pekos. No pitting. :unsure:

If everything is tight, maybe it is due to the low resistance. There is not a lot of mass to conduct the current. Do your contacts get hot?

No hot contacts. From the voltage drop everything seems in order. Weird. I thought pitting was normal :ohmy:.

Remember guys I don't have any mod on the mod. So the negative screw goes at an angle and the contact point is really small. Plus I don't think the contact point is smooth. I will try to take a picture later on to show the black spots.

Moxienator

Super Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Central Mass
No hot contacts. From the voltage drop everything seems in order. Weird. I thought pitting was normal :ohmy:.

Remember guys I don't have any mod on the mod. So the negative screw goes at an angle and the contact point is really small. Plus I don't think the contact point is smooth. I will try to take a picture later on to show the black spots.
Ah. Yeah, I never really liked that angled button throw. When I made the solid switch arm, I tried to curve the arm so the button would travel straight. Tough to do...

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Ah. Yeah, I never really liked that angled button throw. When I made the solid switch arm, I tried to curve the arm so the button would travel straight. Tough to do...

Well I think that pitting would happen anyway unless maybe I use noalox. Deoxit doesn't seem to prevent it. We are talking about 11-12 amps through a small contact point. I'm sure that's the problem.

Pdib moved from breaking contact with the battery in the pinch design because of pitting. So i think it is inevitable until I find a way to increase contact point.

If George is reading this I would love a suggestion :)

Reactions: Moxienator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread