Status
Not open for further replies.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
Well there must be Vamo clones and/or there was a change in the firmware between V1 & V2. Mine is V2 and does not remember the watt setting when the battery is swapped.

It's not a version issue. It's definitely a firmware issue. Either certain factories are using a completely different chipset with different firmware or its the same chipset but their firmware is different.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
The stainless steel tube version. And unfortunately I don't think we can post in the Vamo forum right now. It seems to be locked for whatever reason.
I noticed that earlier today, I wanted to post the link to this thread in that forum and couldn't.
What the heck is that about ???

Any mods care to respond ...

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
It's a permission issue most likely. And the current mods online don't have the permission to set the permissions. :D

I noticed that also. It is being worked on. Dusty_D and Classwife need to find another mod who has the ability to change forum permissions. I guess it is my fault for asking for the Vamo sub forum to be created in the first place. :ohmy:

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
Fascinating read for me since I'm considering getting a Vamo! Just a thought on a workaround for the problem Vamos - change batteries and install a 3 ohm or greater device on it. Fire until it gets itself straightened out. Install your 'real' device and proceed. Does this make any sense at all?

It would just be easier to hold down the right button until the resistance is displayed once before vaping.

XfooYen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
SoCal
Just because you can stack batteries in a regulated mod doesn't mean you should. My fix for this is don't stack batteries. It's a decent mod but it's cheap. Stick with a 2000mah if you want it to last a day. I don't understand how anyone needs to vape at over 8 or 9 watts on a boosted circuit. If you want unregulated power, use a mech. This isn't a problem with the Vamo imo.

Ictinike

A Minion of Cthulhu
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
NE Ohio, USA
I actually prefer and find myself using the dual 18350 config more than a single 18650.

I'm vaping around 10-11w on anything around a 2~2.8 ohm coil and I've not had this issue but typically I do check resistance by holding button 2 before the first fire. While there are some dangers with stacking batteries I find the dual 18350 mod giving me more of what I need in the way of warmer vape than the 18650. Only when my 2 sets of 350's are in need of charge do I pull out the 650.

I think protection is there but at anytime even a single 650 could vent, the chances are higher yes with a stacked config but as long as you practice safer battery management (like keeping 2 in pair and charge/discharge always) you can mitigate some of the increased risk. I have 2 pairs that I use all the time and cycle between them daily and have seen no issues in performance, capacity drain issues or over/under charging. I think charging them, draining them as a "set" helps reduce this risk and if one of the 2 in the pair were to go bad I would not use the other in another pair but more for a single 350 mode if needed and buy 2 new to start another set.

Cheers,
~Icky

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Just because you can stack batteries in a regulated mod doesn't mean you should. My fix for this is don't stack batteries. It's a decent mod but it's cheap. Stick with a 2000mah if you want it to last a day. I don't understand how anyone needs to vape at over 8 or 9 watts on a boosted circuit. If you want unregulated power, use a mech. This isn't a problem with the Vamo imo.

Actually, I have no problem with two 600-800mAh 18350s lasting all day on a PWM mod.

The thing about a stacked configuration is that it's not so much about the fact that it can give you more power -- beyond a certain point no sane person would vape at those levels -- but about efficiency and accuracy.

In single 18650 mode the boost circuit has to engage. This draws power from the battery -- not a lot, but it does. It also has to put more effort into maintaining voltage under load, especially as the battery drains.

Stacked batteries do not need the boost circuit except when they collectively drain below 6V and 6V is needed, then both the boost circuit and voltage regulator have to engage. (But if you're using your batteries down to 3V each you're cutting it pretty close to critical and the cutoff should kick in around there anyway.) Instead it just has to limit the current. This requires only the voltage regulator, so right away it uses less power. Furthermore the regulator has an easier time of maintaining voltage levels under load because it doesn't rely on the boost circuit to nudge the voltage higher, it just has to limit the current. So the vape experience is much more level across the charge and overall superior to the vape experience under the boost circuit on a single battery.

Yes, there are increased risks to using a stacked configuration, but as Ictinike pointed out, as long as you pair your batteries and keep them well charged, the risk is extremely minimal.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
I got my Vamo from Canvape about 3 days ago and it retains my watt setting after I switch batteries.

Let me check again...........yep, it's still at 7 watts. :)

Okay, that is odd considering I also got mine from Canvape.

I had to recheck just to be sure ...

Wattage = 7
Powered off / on device, wattage = 7

Wattage = 7
Removed batts
Inserted batts
Powered on device, wattage = 3

Wattage = 7
Powered off device
Removed batts
Inserted batts
Powered on device
Wattage = 3

Last edited:

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Got my Vamo 5 days ago from VAPORALLY.com (Heavy user) it a lot. No issues with it works great. Remenbers watts when I change batteries. Useing 18350 and 18650 flat head top.Vamo shuts down when battery reaches 4.2 volts. I recharge batteries everyday back to 8.2 volts. My vamo is working perfect. Been vaping with it about 70 hours so far.

jackbox

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2012
    Thailand (U.S. Expat)
    Okay, that is odd considering I also got mine from Canvape.

I had to recheck just to be sure ...

Wattage = 7
    Powered off / on device, wattage = 7

Wattage = 7
    Removed batts
    Inserted batts
    Powered on device, wattage = 3

Wattage = 7
    Powered off device
    Removed batts
    Inserted batts
    Powered on device
    Wattage = 3

Are you in mode "NO1" for AVG or mode "NO2" for RMS? Maybe that makes a difference if it remembers or not?

larktdl

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 7, 2009
    Strathmore, AB
    I have confirmed the following ...

1) Switching between N01 and N02 sets the wattage to 3.

2) Regardless of the N0 setting, powering off / on the device does not impact the currently selected wattage setting.

3) Regardless of the N0 setting, swapping the batteries ---> the device defaults to 3 watts.

XfooYen

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 11, 2012
    SoCal
    I have confirmed the following ...

1) Switching between N01 and N02 sets the wattage to 3.

2) Regardless of the N0 setting, powering off / on the device does not impact the currently selected wattage setting.

3) Regardless of the N0 setting, swapping the batteries ---> the device defaults to 3 watts.
    Sounds like a V1 chip.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 7, 2009
    Strathmore, AB
    Actually, I have no problem with two 600-800mAh 18350s lasting all day on a PWM mod.

The thing about a stacked configuration is that it's not so much about the fact that it can give you more power -- beyond a certain point no sane person would vape at those levels -- but about efficiency and accuracy.

In single 18650 mode the boost circuit has to engage. This draws power from the battery -- not a lot, but it does. It also has to put more effort into maintaining voltage under load, especially as the battery drains.

Stacked batteries do not need the boost circuit except when they collectively drain below 6V and 6V is needed, then both the boost circuit and voltage regulator have to engage. (But if you're using your batteries down to 3V each you're cutting it pretty close to critical and the cutoff should kick in around there anyway.) Instead it just has to limit the current. This requires only the voltage regulator, so right away it uses less power. Furthermore the regulator has an easier time of maintaining voltage levels under load because it doesn't rely on the boost circuit to nudge the voltage higher, it just has to limit the current. So the vape experience is much more level across the charge and overall superior to the vape experience under the boost circuit on a single battery.

Yes, there are increased risks to using a stacked configuration, but as Ictinike pointed out, as long as you pair your batteries and keep them well charged, the risk is extremely minimal.

When I use stacked batts, each vape is the same until the output voltage drops to around 6.7 volts. At this point the Vamo seems to misfire. When this occurs I change out the batts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread