Prodigy V2 and Protege Troubleshooting Guide (With Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey Everyone:

Here's a guide for trouble shooting the Prodigy V2 and Protege.

Prodigy V2/Protege Assembly:

1) When Assembling the Prodigy V2 or Protege, make sure to keep the switch housing plastic approx 1/4" above the rim of the tube. Then screw on your adapter. This helps keep contact between the Adapter and the Switch housing and keeps it from getting stuck down below the rim of the tube.

Example:
IMG_1920.jpg

2) When attaching the atomizer, do NOT over-tighten. When screwing the atomizer on, you will be able to freely spin the atomizer on. When you feel any resistance what-so-ever, or it *snugging* up at all, STOP tightening it. Once snug, you should be set. A quarter extra turn is fine, anything further and you risk shorting the atomizer and the unit.

Casey's How To Video on How To Properly Attach an Atomizer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36XH5-qtv0U

Switch Troubleshooting:

1) Tongue Tingle Test (used when no multimeter is handy):
* Take the adapter off your unit, and you will see a silver/aluminum colored contact post. Put your tongue on the post and hit the button. If properly working, you should feel an ever so slight tingle.

2) My Switch Misfires or only works 50/75% of the time.
A) I have noticed, when I use my index finger, I will occasionally get a misfire. Since using the middle of my thumb instead of index finger, I no longer have such an issue. Give this a shot to see if consistency gets better.

Example:

IMG_1922.jpg

B) There are several components to the mechanical switches in these devices, therefore, they all need to be properly aligned to work correctly. The adapter helps align these pieces and keeps them where they need to be. If you notice you have to press a bit harder when the adapter is firmly screwed down, try backing the adapter off by a quarter/half turn to see if that helps adjust the switch and make it easier to depress.

C) Take the switch out of the tube. Be VERY careful when doing so. Make sure to hold switch down and slide out slowly or the spring/button may go flying. Once the switch it out, take the button and button housing (top 2 black pieces) off, and you will see what looks like a hole. You will also see 2 shiny contact posts. These contact posts should be free from debris. Once in a while you may see a sliver or small piece of Delrin (plastic) sitting on top of these two posts. Make sure to remove, and give your switch another shot.

Example: (The Small Black Piece Shown In The Red Circle Needs to Be Removed)
IMG_1925Rev.jpg

D) If you have tried the above 3 suggestions, the 4th is to turn the contact posts from their standard *flat* side, to the rounded side. To do this, you will need pliers. Take the button back apart, and with your pliers, spin the aluminum contact post until you see both sides are round on top.

Example #1: (Flat Side Showing - Standard)
IMG_1927.jpg

Example #2: (Round Side Facing Up/Showing)

IMG_1928.jpg

E) Lastly, if none of the above 4 suggestions work, never hesitate to contact us at PureSmoker and we'll be happy to take care of it for you. We can be reached at Info@PureSmoker.com or you can reach us by logging in to our site and clicking "Contact PureSmoker".

Maintenance:
1) Atomizers:
A) Most atomizers, when dripped, will take 2-4 drops at a time depending on the atomizer. The average user will get anywhere between 4 - 12 inhales, before needing to be refilled again (This varies depending on type of atomizer and draw length) For the sake of this example, I will be referring to an 801 atomizer.

When first starting out in the morning, I drip 4 drops of liquid in to the atomizer. I take roughly 8-9 hits before its time to refill again. The key to keeping your atomizer in tip top shape is finding that 1 hit that tastes just a tad bit *off* and refilling right away before you get the burnt taste.

8-9 Draws --> Slightly Off Tasting Hit --> Burnt flavor. The key is to find that slightly off tasting hit.

B) Blow out your atomizers and wipe down the atomizer threads and the brass/canal around the adapter 2-3 times a day. I just take a folded up piece of paper towel, detach the atomizer from the Prodigy/Protege, and give it several good hard blows until there is no more liquid coming out of the bottom. I then wipe those threads clean and set it aside. I then take the papertowel, and completely dry off the adapter threads. I use a corner of the papertowel to reach down in the *well/canal* of the adapter to sop up the extra liquid there as well. Once everything is clean, I reattach the atomizer, drip 4-5 drops of liquid, and I'm good to go.

2) Adapter/Tube/Endcap:
A) To keep Threads and aluminum components in tip top shape, I recommend using Noalox. Noalox can be found at your local Hardware store or found online here: Amazon.com: Noalox® Anti-oxidant Compound (4 Oz. Bottle): Industrial & Scientific

B) At night, I disconnect my atomizer, and leave it sitting on a papertowel overnight to drain. I also take the batteries out of the tube, and if they need recharging, I place them on the charger, otherwise, I place them right next to the tube ready to go for the next day.

Foot Notes:
1. We recommend DSE801 and RN4072 atomizers on our devices. Most BE112 atomizers should work, but Janty/Joye302 atomizers will likely not work at all. We aren't entirely sure why, but the Joye302 atomizer short the unit when used.

2. For 510 users, we recommend using true Joye510 atomizers. This is the *Standard* among 510's on the market today. However, our adapter should work with SLB/JLB510 atomizers as well.

Enjoy Vaping Everyone, and if you feel there is anything else I should cover above or if you have any questions, don't hesitate to post and let me know :)

invidregis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2008
Chicago, USA
Hey Steve, Just a FYI: Every BE112 I have tried on the V2 works perfect,(tried 12) it's my preferred atty. The Janty/Joye302 atomizers do short out on the V2, at least mine do (1 302 and 2 Jantys). The Janty/Joye302 atomizers do work perfect on the V1 and Protege, I believe they short because of the lowered center post. The lower center works better for the BE112s, now they actually screw on more than a half turn.

If I posted this in the wrong spot please delete it for me.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Thanks Steve........

I've yet to have ANY issues with my protege to date, yet noticed recently that the switch is occasionally having a misfire here and there (which certainly hasn't discouraged me in the least). So I'll take it apart and see if the problem is as you've indicated.

Having actual pictures of the construction with tips and suggestions will certainly help many, and I thank you !!

VapeOn,
Greg

Shan123

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Tampa, FL USA
Gotta throw in. I was having serious problems with getting a hit maybe every 4th attempt, after screwing, unscrewing, cleaning, readjusting, thwacking, praying. It was driving me NUTS. I was about ready to send my V2 back and say, "Please troubleshoot this because I'm too stupid to figure it out."

Friday night I unscrewed the endcap and cleaned the threads, inside the barrel and on the endcap itself, with a silver-polishing cloth. In over 24 hours I haven't had a single failure. That was apparently the entire problem -- crap I very nearly couldn't see on the threads. The difference is astounding.

benriz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2010
miami
Gotta throw in. I was having serious problems with getting a hit maybe every 4th attempt, after screwing, unscrewing, cleaning, readjusting, thwacking, praying. It was driving me NUTS. I was about ready to send my V2 back and say, "Please troubleshoot this because I'm too stupid to figure it out."

Friday night I unscrewed the endcap and cleaned the threads, inside the barrel and on the endcap itself, with a silver-polishing cloth. In over 24 hours I haven't had a single failure. That was apparently the entire problem -- crap I very nearly couldn't see on the threads. The difference is astounding.

when I got my prodogy v2 it did not work. I sent it back and after 2 weeks they returned it. during the first set of batteries i fried the included 510 atomizer, during the second set of batteries, I fried the atomizer and melted 2 carts. The product is not Well designed and should only be purchased by those who like to tinker

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
when I got my prodogy v2 it did not work. I sent it back and after 2 weeks they returned it. during the first set of batteries i fried the included 510 atomizer, during the second set of batteries, I fried the atomizer and melted 2 carts. The product is not Well designed and should only be purchased by those who like to tinker

Frying atty's has nothing to do with the device bud :rolleyes: The user is the one that presses the button and asserts the necessary voltage to the atomizer .... There's a learning experience on HV mods ;)

Cherice

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Palm Harbor, FL
Frying atty's has nothing to do with the device bud :rolleyes: The user is the one that presses the button and asserts the necessary voltage to the atomizer .... There's a learning experience on HV mods ;)
I couldn't agree more. I have yet to fry an atty on my v2. It's a great unit and is rapidly taking over as my favorite over my Xhaler and BB :)

Shan123

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Tampa, FL USA
Hey, if somebody's found a PV that requires no tinkering -- or cleaning, which is why I posted what I did, what a SIMPLE fix it was -- I am intrigued and would like to subscribe to their newsletter. :cool:

Until that day comes (and it likely never will), I'll stick with both Prodigys, the Protege, and the passthru from PS, all of which are currently in use at my house, are indeed well-designed, and work very reliably, especially considering how relatively new this technology is.

Dorian_Gray

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Stepford, Fla
If you pry the big end contact shown here in silver up just a mite...and then wind some tooth floss around the shaft which will prevent it going back into the plastic, it will give it enough extra height to make consistant, excellent contact.

Use a knife blade to pry up the contact and be careful to only raise it a very small amount and NOT break the solder joint or switch leg.

Works well.

P.S. Steve....not answering your steve@ mail?

Al

IMG_1920.jpg

Drayvyn

Dec 19, 2009
Central Fl.
I just wanted to pop in and say that all of you that posted tips and maint ideas have made my "I love you" list =p

I got my V2 a couple weeks ago and I loved it out of the box! These last few days tho have been frustrating as I now have some serious bruised thumbs and index fingers. I was having to push so damn hard to even attempt a hit. I was actually coming to the forum to PM Steve and see what could be done.

I did everything said here ...even Dorian's idea and omg! lol...I am now having to back up off this thing a lil *grins* The throat hit is...to quote Grim "reckless" =p

To sum it up.... Amazing product Steve and all at PS. Anyone interested in a strong PV that wants to trade in their full flavored analogs....this it the go to unit!

I do have one question tho Steve. My 510 atys when screwed on have a lean to them as in not straight up and down. I can also move them just a lil bit if I push. Will this cause me issues down the road? I just really cant see letting you have this back for any reason unless it is going to be a serious issue.

Thanks again to all =)

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
The problem maybe on the V2's center electrode height being too tall or the diameter is too large. If the center electrode height is fixed in the V2 it will have a compatibility problems with some generic 801, Joyce 302, etc. I think the best solution is to add spring tension in the V2's center electrode and reduce the diameter a little bit if it is too big. I don't think those atomizer manufacturers thought about compatibility issues themselves.

Last edited:

Acesfool

Apr 10, 2009
Houston, TX
My V2 (801) just suddenly quit working. It worked flawlessly out of the box for about 3 days. Then just suddenly quit. And no, I didn't forget to change the batteries :D. Now it seems to kill any atty I attach to it. So I'm not sure what I can do because I'm afraid of burning up all of my extra attys.

About the only thing I noticed as an issue was when it quit firing I noticed the battery housing got hot but the atty didn't. I took the batteries out at that point.

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
I am sure you have a short and most likely caused by the 801 adapter, since there is a major issue on this particular atomizer/adapter. I would remove the adapter from the V2 completely and then screw the 801 atomizer onto it and take a resistance reading on the center (bottom) of the adapter to the threaded end of the adapter. Set the resistance dial on the lowest scale. If there is a short the reading will be "0". If it reads "0", slowly loosen the atomizer until the short goes away, (reading 3.+ ohms). I hope I don't offend anyone on what I suspect to be the problem. My intension is just to be helpfull, Thanks.

JDSupreme

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I do have one question tho Steve. My 510 atys when screwed on have a lean to them as in not straight up and down. I can also move them just a lil bit if I push. Will this cause me issues down the road? I just really cant see letting you have this back for any reason unless it is going to be a serious issue.

Thanks again to all =)

Ditto. I screw the 510 attys in properly and they have some wiggle room. The adapter is on correct and I don't chain vape and i've killed 5 attys in a week. 3 510's now and 2 901's. I sent a email to PS and havn't heard back yet. It's only been a few hours but maybe someone on here can help because im on my last atty (had to order 4 more with a quick shipping upgrade) so now i've almost spent as much as I did on the kit as I am on attys! I'm guessing its maybe a fault in the device. I pulled it apart and checked everything and it seems fine. Switch fires 95% of the time. No crap inside the switch housing. Help. I really don't want to have to go back to my 510 backup with blu attys because thats all im gonna have left! Month wait on JB still :( AHHHHHHHH !!!! haha

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
JDSupreme, an open contact connection will not burn out an atomizer, I suspect the bottom contacts on the atomizer or the adapter center contact maybe dirty due to some arcing since you like screwing the atomizer loose for wiggle room. Screw it on snugly. I was doing the same on my atomizer before to create more breathing effect but I notice my battery and atomizer center electrodes getting pitted and black due to arcing. Your V2 may not have a dropping resistor, like someone forgot to install it at the factory. Take a resistance reading. Remove the switch. Clean the switch copper disc and the two prongs in the well. Connect one probe on the batt end and the other probe on ato end. press the switch like you would do when vaping. You should not read "0" but somewhere around 1.5 to 2 ohms. Zero ohm reading means no resistor was installed in the switch, or wrong switch was installed. Thus, burn atomizers by the dozens. I hope this will lead you into solving the problem. Let me know...
Nico

Last edited:

rfw2003

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Yantis, Texas
www.4x4mayhem.com
Nicotinologist, there is no resistor in the V2, the contact disc in the switch is a natural resistor itself, and is greyish in color. As far as the Atty being able to wiggle alittle that is kinda normal with some Atty's with the softer silicone insulator on them, since with the Pure Smoker adapters they are made a little bit taller on the center post for the 510 so they fit all of the 510 varients it does not allot the Atty to screw all the way down where the shoulder meets with the outside edge of the adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread