►►► Prodigy V1 Troubleshooting Guide ◄◄◄

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiddler

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
New York City
I am just not believing this! I keep my Prodigy CLEAN. I'm religious about wiping down the threads and connectors. I flatten a Q-tip and keep it, as I said, CLEAN!

I thought, what the heck, I'll try this and see if "any" more comes off. I had an OLD can of Brasso. Did the Q-tip clean with one end of a Q-tip. Wow, the black stuff that came off. OK, I'll try the other end and see if there is any more, again, WOW, more black stuff. Tried it with another Q-tip. Both ends, WOW, both ends coming up really black.

Took a piece of tissue and cleaned the top, flat connector piece, BLACK, yet it looked shiny.

My Prodigy was just a little off, not much, and I wasn't even sure. Now I know it wasn't vaping like it should because it sure is vaping now! I thought maybe my batteries were dying. Just wasn't getting quite as much strength to my vaping, wasn't sure.

Thank you so much for this!! I am really impressed and grateful!

I'll have to try that as my Prodigy does collect gunk in the threads and occasionally looses contact.

BTW: I love mixing vintage stuff with new technology. BRASSO is actually a Victorian age product, well over 100 years old; and still the same today as it was then. ( I spotted Hudson using it in "Upstairs/Downstairs", and it was approved for use in the "1900 House")

I'll have to try that as my Prodigy does collect gunk in the threads and occasionally looses contact.

BTW: I love mixing vintage stuff with new technology. BRASSO is actually a Victorian age product, well over 100 years old; and still the same today as it was then. ( I spotted Hudson using it in "Upstairs/Downstairs", and it was approved for use in the "1900 House")

LOL, I didn't know that. I do know this can of Brasso has to be 10+ years old! Still good ;)!

Zben504

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa, OK
www.VaporBliss.com
Ok here's my problem. Vaped amazingly for about four days then burned my atty. I started using an old funky tasting atomizer that worked perfect. Then I got my new shipment of parts and kits my store today and of the five attys I got for personal use, none work at all. Now why would perfectly new attys not work? These are putting out zero vapor and aren't even getting hot. My old one works fine but the new ones don't.
WTF am I doing wrong???

EDIT: I tested all these attys on 901 batts and they work fine.

Last edited:

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
This is what happened to me! My Prodigy died, nothing, no vapor, cold just DEAD. I tried several suggestions for cleaning, including wiping with a cloth, a lens cleaner towelette, a pencil eraser and finally a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Still DEAD, COLD as a fish...darn!!!! Opened a ticket with PS, relied on PT and regular 901 and fumed about not having the Prodigy.

Decided to show hubby the problem. I mean, basically, there can't be a whole lot wrong with the thing. The switch looked fine, no wires loose, nothing twisted and all contact points clean... On the last try, I noticed it. The switch is rubber. When putting the switch back in the tube, I would give it a little extra nudge to make sure it was seated. THAT was the problem. When I nudged it just a little, it pushed the center where the contact point is in just a tiny bit and it was no longer making contact. I then set the assembled switch apparatus on the table and pushed the tube down over it...THEN I DID NOT TOUCH THE SWITCH ASSEMBLY AGAIN. Fired it up and it vapes like a champ!

So far, so good! I think I fixed it.

Duh...I am electronically challenged :)

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
Edit: I'm going to repost this in the general forum - I just noticed that there isn't much traffic going on in here right now....

Got my Prodigy yesterday :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: and it is an awesome device.

I'm having a couple of minor problems - my charger isn't working quite right...I have to lean it on something at just the right angle to keep any light on.

I have been envious of all the 'haven't had an analog since I got my *insert device name here*.

I haven't even gotten close. I know the Prodigy is going to change this, but I need a little help on dripping. I'm using a 510 atty, but I haven't used the new one that came with the Prodigy b/c I wanted to try it out first without any primer taste.

I guess I'm more of a puffer...I like to take several short little drags followed by a longer one...Not a giant drag, maybe 2 seconds.

I know that it's best to drip, and that's ok, but I'm having to drip too often because of those extra girly puffs. I know it's a waste of liquid and all, but I really like the flavor and vapor that comes with them. :p

So, I'm putting in 2-3 drops, I'm getting a burnt taste after only a few (maybe 4) drags. So I'm having to drip so often it's a pain.

Is there anyway to get a bit more liquid in there without flooding? Any suggestions to make this a bit workable for me?

Last edited:

Yirabeth

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Michigan, USA
JustMe, you sound like me in your vaping habits, so I thought I'd tell you, I *DO* use a cart with my Prodigy. I know it's not the "recommended" usage, but it's also not going to hurt it to do so -- IF!! you keep your cartridge moist. Don't suck it down to bone dry, the liquid in the cart keeps the atty moist which keeps the atty from blowing.

I do want to say I use a 901 atty, which may or may not be different than your 510, I don't know as I've not used one. But I'm not the only cart user with the Prodigy. I think perhaps dripping is for hardcore vapers, and us wimps can use carts with little problems as long as we follow the golden rules -- don't let the atty get dry (hence keeping the cart topped off when the flavor changes even slightly) and don't let the atty get HOT.

~Yira

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
JustMe, you sound like me in your vaping habits, so I thought I'd tell you, I *DO* use a cart with my Prodigy. I know it's not the "recommended" usage, but it's also not going to hurt it to do so -- IF!! you keep your cartridge moist. Don't suck it down to bone dry, the liquid in the cart keeps the atty moist which keeps the atty from blowing.

I do want to say I use a 901 atty, which may or may not be different than your 510, I don't know as I've not used one. But I'm not the only cart user with the Prodigy. I think perhaps dripping is for hardcore vapers, and us wimps can use carts with little problems as long as we follow the golden rules -- don't let the atty get dry (hence keeping the cart topped off when the flavor changes even slightly) and don't let the atty get HOT.

~Yira

I am not sure what qualifies someone as a hardcore vaper, but I go through at least 5 ml of liquid per day, so I am at least a "heavy" vaper. :) I am using Prodigy with 510 and I always use cartridges and top off.

I had similar experience as the earlier poster, topping off 2-3 drops at the time until I tried the PTB cart modification, which allows me to get in 8-10 drops per top-off. The thread about the modification is available here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/34401-ptb-plug-full-510-cart.html

gjrhine

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Sunny South Carolina
It's quite easy filling carts completely with this -

3746185007_a18fc8195d.jpg

Yirabeth

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Michigan, USA
I am not sure what qualifies someone as a hardcore vaper, but I go through at least 5 ml of liquid per day, so I am at least a "heavy" vaper. :) I am using Prodigy with 510 and I always use cartridges and top off.

I had similar experience as the earlier poster, topping off 2-3 drops at the time until I tried the PTB cart modification, which allows me to get in 8-10 drops per top-off. The thread about the modification is available here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/34401-ptb-plug-full-510-cart.html

Hehe, I meant the "hardcore" ones are the ones that can suck for half of eternity before letting the PV rest... LOL! I consider myself a heavy vaper too, at 3-4ml a day, although not quite as heavy as you :)

I think I misunderstood the problem, though -- or you did, one of us :) I thought they meant about trying to drip, since carts have been 'unrecommended' by PS. I was just saying I do indeed use carts but make sure to keep my cart moist, topping it up when the taste changes a bit. That usually takes me 5-6 drops, which means there's a drop or so left in the filler, but, that's better than letting the atty burn too dry I think. (I use a 901)

Either it was that, or it was, like you said, a problem having to top up every 2-3 drops..in which case your link is just what they need! So we got it covered all 'round..hehe

~Yira

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I've had my Prodigy for a little over a week now. Yesterday I noticed that my 801 was drawing too easily. So I switched over to my 510 adapter. And that is also drawing too easily.

Checking things on my 510 adapter, there is a bit of a gap between the top of the Prodigy 510 adapter and the bottom brass band on the atomizer.

My guess is that, for some reason, the center post of the adapter has risen up a hair. I want to make sure that this gap should not exist. If it shouldn't, I will attempt to lower the center post using the reverse of the steps that Steve documented in Post 13 of this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...digy-v1-troubleshooting-guide.html#post364016.

Before I do this, I want to make sure that my thoughts are correct.
1 - Should this gap exist?
2 - Should I attempt to lower the center post?

Last edited:

doyourideabike

Aug 8, 2009
Anyone know a replacement or tip-trick to get a prod with a defective button back to life? Sent it in on warranty but seems to be some kind of problem with getting parts or button repairs or ? So it looks like it will be returned on Monday, per my request, if its still not repaired as its been there about a week or so with no repair progress, and Ill try and come up with something to get it back working. Got to much in it to just toss away and getting very tempted to go back on the "death sticks" so, Any ideas?

UPDATE---just got emailed its fixed and sent out yesterday,,YAYAYAYA,,,they were caught up in the new model and very busy,,,

Last edited:
...since carts have been 'unrecommended' by PS. I was just saying I do indeed use carts
I'm curious. Why would you use carts with a Prodigy when a) they're unnecessary -- the Prodigy's battery is fully sealed against leakage; b) they're not recommended; c) they give you a lot less control over exactly how much fluid you're using, which shortens atty life in my experience; d) they deliver a weaker vape; and e) you can't help but wonder if you're burning and vaping the filler material as well as the liquid.

Just curious. I have a ton of carts that I hope never to have to use as long as my Prodigy's going strong, which it is.

~~Cheryl

gjrhine

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Sunny South Carolina
I'm curious. Why would you use carts with a Prodigy

Well for me I have a Prodigy, 2 PTs with Powerpacks and a Protege on the way. Fill them all once a day and I'm done. No more messing with liquid, cleanup, carrying the stuff around, trying to drive or do anything else at the same time, etc. That plus personal preference.

Bob569

Sep 16, 2009
Since this is the prodigy troubleshooting thread I thought I'd throw this question out there. From all my dripping I seem to have gunked up my 901 adaptor, and due to the design I'm a little confused as how to to clean it to draw the vapor quality I have grown used to.

My laymans knowledge tells me I should soak it overnight in something strong...like vodka vinegar or rubbing alcohol, but I don't want to render the sucker useless.

Any advice to have me vaping like a champion again?

aoti

Oct 10, 2009
I'm quite confused, my Prodigy doesn't work at all. I've tested all the connections with multimeter, for example that current comes to the adapter head and adaptor head does connect to the atomizator. Only weird thing is that there should be resistor with the switch but it still gives ~6.0 volts to the adaptor, though without load because i really can't measure the current while the atomizator is attached.

So in nutshell i have owned Prodigy v1 for a week, it hasn't worked at all for that time. Doesn't produce vapor and doesn't warm up the atomizator, duh.

I have tested all the atomizators and all give about ~3Ω, none over 5Ω.

Im getting quite frustrated about this :(. All help and tips are appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread