Not open for further replies.

GrimmGreen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2009
Carson City, Nevada, United States
IMO Grimmgreen has it won.

Derek

ha ha... what?! thank you , but i feel like mine is a little inferior to a few of these other ones , i love mgrimes designs ... and i really like this one..

attempt4.jpg

vjtk

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Norman, OK
www.primevisual.com
CaSHMeRe, shouldn't you address multiple listings, and more than one entry per user in the final poll? If I'd known I could design an infinite number of variations to increase my chances of winning I would have.

BTW I like most of the designs, but they are usually too busy for a logo or not good for engraving. Gradients, text effects, and multi-colored submissions probably would NOT transfer to the engraver. Grimmgreen's design is a good example, it looks good on a computer, but no engraver can handle the text outlines and gradient, also the letter spacing is off.

It also MUST be vector art. Many are using raster programs.

Also look at all the pro logos out there, they hardly EVER use a symbol, it is usually only the word, like "SONY". One of the most important lessons I've learned in logo design is to keep it simple.

Last edited:

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
hey vjtk ... I'm not going to be able to put 100% of all logo's up on the chopping block. Not sure a poll will allow for that many.

Casey and I were going to go through some of the ones we liked, and post those for people to vote on. So whether you put up 1 logo, or 10, it really just depends on whether or not it catches our eye :)

We will also have a 2nd and 3rd place ... Just in case, the 1st or 2nd is to intricate to duplicate via lazer etching! I'm not familiar with vector art or raster programs. If you could help explain this to me, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks bud!

indyjoey

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
We will also have a 2nd and 3rd place ... Just in case, the 1st or 2nd is to intricate to duplicate via lazer etching! I'm not familiar with vector art or raster programs. If you could help explain this to me, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks bud!

Vector art is used for print work and I would imagine this to be true for your needs in engraving/etching. Raster images are just like photographs. Vector art can be scaled to match needs for the print work without degrading quality. Raster artwork like a photograph is only scalable down. An example would be a 72DPI photo that is 500x500 needs to be printed on an 8x11 sheet of paper will not scale well and look choppy and not very detailed.

Not sure how an engraving machine works, but it may not even be able to work with rasterized graphics. But not 100% sure.

vjtk

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Norman, OK
www.primevisual.com
CaSHMeRe - For the poll, I'd only pick designs suitable for engraving. That way peeps who vote don't choose one that WONT work well with an engraver. Like I said, many submissions look great but are not suitable for engraving.

I also noticed many designs do not include the "V" in "V2", but simply went "squared". Mine was like this at first too, but I changed it because the product is actually called "Prodigy V2", not "Prodigy2"

Last edited:

Birdy

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2009
Houston
Dood, your whole post just sounds kind of sour. If people vote for yours you'll win ...without having to knock out the competition one knit picky detail at a time.

Let Steve pick the ones he likes and worry about the details later.

CaSHMeRe, shouldn't you address multiple listings, and more than one entry per user in the final poll? If I'd known I could design an infinite number of variations to increase my chances of winning I would have.

BTW I like most of the designs, but they are usually too busy for a logo or not good for engraving. Gradients, text effects, and multi-colored submissions probably would NOT transfer to the engraver. Grimmgreen's design is a good example, it looks good on a computer, but no engraver can handle the text outlines and gradient, also the letter spacing is off.

It also MUST be vector art. Many are using raster programs.

Also look at all the pro logos out there, they hardly EVER use a symbol, it is usually only the word, like "SONY". One of the most important lessons I've learned in logo design is to keep it simple.

buGG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
brush²
CaSHMeRe - For the poll, I'd only pick designs suitable for engraving. That way peeps who vote don't choose one that WONT work well with an engraver. Like I said, many submissions look great but are not suitable for engraving.

I also noticed many designs do not include the "V" in "V2", but simply went "squared". Mine was like this at first too, but I changed it because the product is actually called "Prodigy V2", not "Prodigy2"

cash, whoever does your laser etching will know immediately whether or not they're using raster or vector...often raster is more costly, but depending on the material and the technique this is not always the case.

in terms of the "2" vs. "v2" it seems rather arbitrary. the usb pass is a v2, but no v2 anywhere on the unit...so i think it's just best to stick with the designs you like, as opposed to whether or not they stand for prodigyXprodigy=prodigy to the second power, or whether they emulate an outdated sony game system, or appear closer to banner art or something perhaps better suited for "other" custom mods already out there.

also, conversion from raster to vector, while not being the very best quality when not done directly by hand, is still relatively easy to do with programs that some of us have. i haven't seen any design yet put up here that should pose a problem, engraving the end result, however, is another issue altogether.

but one thing is certain, ps has a very creative (and dedicated) customer base here. pretty cool seeing everyone get so involved.

buGG

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
how do I find out which ones are vector and which ones are raster?

Just ask your engraver/laser etcher what they need from you. You'll probably want or need to tweak the winner a bit anyway. There's a lot of people who can take these samples and recreate them with minor changes in whatever format you want in just a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread