Protank 2 simply DOES NOT WORK! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy777

Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
EU
Hello Everyone!

This is my first post on ECF but I have spent last few weeks reading thousands of posts here. Many Thanks for all the advice and tips I have learned so far! :)

I'm relatively new to vaping (1month+) but LOVE IT SO MUCH that I would really hate giving it up because of the technical issues I'm having with protanks. I quit analogues on the same day I bought my first cig-alike kit and have never looked back. I don't want normal cigarettes anymore as I do like vaping so much better! (I'm still wondering why didn't I switch sooner?).

Anyway, I'm having SEVERE problems getting Protanks 2 work right for me...

I have 5 x Protank 2, 5 x Protank 2 mini + 4 x Ego batteries and Provari.

I'm using DIY juice, only 3% nicotine (YEP, I made that progress very fast) usually 70/30, PG/VG. The juice is not thick at all (bubbles go up in tank very quickly, it's very thin).

NO MATTER what I do, I get burnt taste with it! I have tried everything:

* Washing everything before use;
* Taking out flavour wicks
* Changing tons of heads
* Changing voltage from 3 up to 5 volts.

No matter what I do, I can take 3-4 normal draws and then I'll get a burnt one.

To me it looks like it simply does not wick fast enough. It's not like I'm chain vaping though - I usually take a 5 minute vaping break every hour.

The only way I get it work to some extent is un-screwing tank a little bit, then see bubbles, and screw it back - this works for 2-3 hits. Then again I have to un-screw tank to see some bubbles and get some wicking going on.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I'm basically giving up on Protanks and already ordered some Boge and Smoktech cartomizers, hopefully they'll work hassle free. What's your opinion on this switch from protanks to cartomizers? Re-filling is really not a problem for me as I'm in front of PC all day long.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy777

Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
EU
Is this on the Ego's only or on the Provari? I am thinking the wattage/ volts to high for your coil. i am a newbie also but I will say that I did not enjoy the Ego at all, it seemed harsh and unenjoyable to me. I used it for one day before buying an Evic and then a Itaste SVD for my backup.

On eGo it's better but I'll still get burnt vapes from time to time.

On Provari I vape @ 4 - 4.2 volts (2.5 omh heads), so it shouldn't be the problem...

From what I see, it's the wicking thing.

Andy777

Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
EU

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
Flip the rubber gasket that sits above the wicks upside down.

This has worked for me in reducing burnt hits. I don't really have that problem with my first Protank II, but the second one I ordered can't seem to help it. Then again, this could easily be due to the different liquids I use in each tank. The first one I save for caustic flavors, Red Hot Cinnamon, etc... these juices I have are VERY thin. The second one I use only with NETs. They seem to be thicker.

I've tried taking out flavor wicks, but I get flooding. The best success I had was rebuilding the heads with a mini coil, bumping the wattage way down to ~6.5w, and flipping that rubber gasket upside down. 5-6 hits before it gets dry, primer puff, 5-6 good hits, primer puff, etc...

You mentioned you're usually sitting down. Might want to look into dripping on an RDA ;)

Andy777

Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
EU
it sounds like from your description that there's not enough air flow to the protank. did you try not screwing it down the entire way?

i also think you'd want to keep the flavor wicks in

N, no probs with air draw as I quickly learned that I protanks can't be screwed down tightly on Provari.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Protank and all BCC are pressure systems. These require enough draw to pull e-liquid into the wicks. Light draws may simply vaporize what little liquid is on the wick. Next Vape = dry
Think of it like using a straw in a fashion. Suck light and short and the liquid falls back never reaching your mouth. suck to hard and you may choke on the in rush from the straw.

The actual action in a BCC is Venturi draw - as air passes the wick negative pressure is created. This draws liquid to the wick.
When Draw stops, air rushes back into the tube and is drawn into the tank replacing e-liquid now in the wick.

There are many individual issues with the Use of BCC tanks all have solutions and very few are from improper engineering.
Les single biggest problem is figuring out what any particular individual may need to so to correct their particular issue.

If e-liquid is thin 70/30, the Protanks should work, even chain vaping.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Does anyone know - will I get similar vape from Boge/Smoktech cartomizers? Or it will be weaker?

I'm very close to giving up pro tanks altogether if cartomizers are more reliable in terms of burnt taste.

Sorry flipping the gasket didn't help. Yes cartos are great as long as you first fill them properly...fully saturated otherwise the filler burns. If you like them you could always buy a tank and punched cartos (or punch your own).

Key in the process below is to do it VERY SLOWLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread