Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzziefreakie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
Long Island, New York
I'm on hold waiting for enough $$$ and an opportunity in my budget to get a Provari mini. I was browsing through sites yesterday checking out mods (still a beginner) and i found the smok Zmax. It has so many of the features of the Provari, and price with accessories is about $100 less than the Provari mini with accessories. I firmly believe that you get what you pay for, so I'm wondering, what's the catch? Does anyone own both mods who can give me a comparison? I'd like to hear experiences people have had with the Zmax. Any bad experiences? What are the features that make the Provari the better choice?

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I have both mods. Just sold the Z, and I cannot recommend the Z. I am a high end collector and I have owned most devices. The Z does not put out what it sways its putting out. Also it continues to fire after the button is released. The menu is a jumbled mess. Even with the manual in hand it is quite confusing. The manual has a lot lost in the Chinese to English translation. Save your money and buy the tried and true Provari. I was actually part of a study group that tested the Z and the overall consensus was No Go. :2c:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hi fuzzie - from what I've read here (long thread) about the ZMax http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...tech-zmax-owners-pics-tips-tricks-quirks.html

The voltage is out by about 0.5 volts - so tends to go a little higher than the voltage reading. The wattage readings are said to be spot on tho. There's some good videos in that thread. The volts don't matter so much if you are prefer to go by wattage adjustment anyway.
Advantages - has recess that takes Ego threading so no adapter needed. Variable wattage and wattage consistency is good. I've ordered a ZMax as a 6 month smoke free celebration present to myself.

That thread also has user responses to the "keeps firing" issue - they say it isn't continuing to fire - you are just getting the extra vapor from the power it packs. I tend to believe what they've said as I've experienced the same thing on a regular fatt batt pv. I just stop pressing and draw for another second.

The Provari is probably going to be more sturdy and will be consistent on the vv - but you'd expect that for the cost. I would have got a Provari but with the extras it was too much for me right now. I also want to try out the vw on the ZMax. If you can afford a Provari you won't go wrong , but I'm sure you know that. :)

The ZMax manual is here. Looks fine to me.
I think they made some changes from the prototypes that a few folk got to start with.

Last edited:

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
At lower voltage settings it is off closer to a full volt, wattage is off because it uses same calculations. Seems consistant but isn't correct. Built cheaply. Not worth over $80 in my opinion.

That said, Provari has precision and build is great. I wouldn't spend their asking price, but many people do. It is nice and will last longer, but $200 for a small circuit board and SS battery holder is steep.

Good luck on your decision!

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
The Z does not have eGo threading. It simply has a deep recessed well that will accept some cones, like the stardust. There are no threads on the outside, like on an eGo. There is just a regular 510 connector.

I didn't say it has Ego threading. I said it has a recess that takes Ego threading. :)

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
... I firmly believe that you get what you pay for, so I'm wondering, what's the catch?

You already hit the nail on the head.

The Provari (no, I do not own one) is tried, tested and proven over a few years of real-world sales and operation. Provape have proved their customer service excellence and the product has been consistently shown to be worthwhile.

The Smok Zmax is a new entry, with no track record, from a manufacturer who appears to use initial sales as part of their beta-testing phase for new products - witness the revisions to the Vmax. Although the Zmax offers the same functionality, at a greatly reduced price, it has not yet demonstrated long-term reliability.

You pays your money and you takes your choice! If I could, I would go with the Provari - or wait a while to see what bugs and kinks appear (and whether they are dealt with) in the Zmax.

:vapor:

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
There's been an of incident where the Zmax has fired on it's own and carried on firing until the carto started to smoke. There also been a couple of incidents where the Zmax carried on firing without a finger being on the button.

This would concern me quite a lot.

Faults are beginning to emerge and I'm wondering if Smoktech are capable of producing a device which isn't plagued by some sort of failure.

Wattage with the 18650 is consistent but out;

VW mode 18650:
Target 1.4 Ohm 1.8 Ohm 2.2 Ohm 2.6 Ohm
3.0 W 6.9 W 6.8 W 6.4 W 6.2 W
5.0 W 9.0 W 8.8 W 8.4 W 8.3 W
7.0 W 11,0 W 10,3 W 10.0 W 9.7 W
9.0 W 12.0 W 11.7 W 11.2 W 11,0 W
11,0 W 13.3 W 12.9 W 12.5 W 12.3 W
13.0 W 14.3 W 13.9 W 13.4 W 13.4 W
15.0 W 15.4 W 14.9 W 13.9 W 13.4 W

Wattage with 18350 is not even slightly consistent in stacked mode, ridiculously out.

VW mode 18350:
Target 1.4 Ohm 1.8 Ohm 2.2 Ohm 2.6 Ohm
3.0 W 13.0 W 10.7 W 9.0 W 8.1 W
5.0 W 13.4 W 12.4 W 11,0 W 10.8 W
7.0 W 16.1 W 15.1 W 13.2 W 12.6 W
9.0 W 18.2 W 17.2 W 15.0 W 14.4 W
11,0 W 20.3 W 18.8 W 16.7 W 15.9 W
13.0 W 21.8 W 20.0 W 18.0 W 17.5 W
15.0 W 23.2 W 22.2 W 19.4 W 18.6 W

I own a Provari and I've owned a Zmax - in my opinion the Provari is a way superior device.

Last edited:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Provari. I swear by them I got mine a while back as a second battery will first so I could use my twist as backup. Well it had gotten some errors and it died. Sent it back and got it back in about 5 days including shipping. I also got the extended warranty which will give me a total of 2 years coverage. My dad had a bad habit of doing stuff on the cheap. Then would get ticked off when that screwdriver or what ever broke. When I possibly can I go for as good as I can justify. So if your planning on doing this for a while?

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
There's been an of incident where the Zmax has fired on it's own and carried on firing until the carto started to smoke.

Total speculation and assumption based on the reported incident, but absolutely ZERO proof it's 'misfired'!

The owner wasn't even present and later found the devise too hot to handle, which clearly indicates a short circuited battery that was left unattended....which may have even been caused by the user? There's just not enough evidence to make any kind of summation of what happened.

No pictures, no proof, nothin'....all guesses.

You can make the argument about the carto smoking, but it still wouldn't prove that the unit misfired as the heat from a dead shorted cell would travel through the Zmax body, to the connector and through the carto body.

The board may not have anything to do with what happened to this reported incident.

M&R B

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Sometimes it feels like people tend to have the attitude if its not Provari than its crap and you wasting your money. I don't have much money and saving isn't the easiest thing to do for many people these days. So when regular joes like myself are looking for a APV I can't quite avoid a Provari but want something at a decent quality, saying save for a Provari or shooting everything else down isn't helpful and comes off elitist. I can't join the special Provari club so help a brotha out lol. Thought the point of a forum was to help each other =).

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Total speculation and assumption based on the reported incident, but absolutely ZERO proof it's 'misfired'!

The owner wasn't even present and later found the devise too hot to handle, which clearly indicates a short circuited battery that was left unattended....which may have even been caused by the user? There's just not enough evidence to make any kind of summation of what happened.

No pictures, no proof, nothin'....all guesses.

You can make the argument about the carto smoking, but it still wouldn't prove that the unit misfired as the heat from a dead shorted cell would travel through the Zmax body, to the connector and through the carto body.

The board may not have anything to do with what happened to this reported incident.

You may be right, but according to what you have said it applies to your statement as well!! Total speculation!!

You ever put your APV down and walk out of the room? I would almost guess the answer is yes! We all have at some point, though it never seems like it as it just seems it is always in one hand or the other a very high percentage of time. Who are "you" to suggest that he was neglective in any way shape or form? Are you the APV guru? No wait, according to your statement, you are the battery guru obviously!! As in most incidents we have to pretty much go on speculation, (as in this case, the same as others)..... If you have been keeping up on the V/Zmax threads as of late you would know there have been several people reporting cases that their units have misfired in some way, shape, or form.... This is just the first case reported where something a little more than a misfire has occurred..... I would suggest you go back and read through the V/Zmax threads once again and rethink your comments here....

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Honestly I don't care if anyone believes this or that. It is up to the individual person to decide if it is up to their standards. If you are the type of person to believe a certain group's opinion, then you are likely similar to those folks enough to base your own conclusion. This is why reviews work. Everyone has their favortie reviewer for what ever reason they've chosen, so if that reviewer feels as though its this or that, or this event occurred, then go with your own thoughts.

I say that to lead to this; the Smok Zmax is not, in my opinion, ready for release to the public. My Zmax has functioned nicely for a week and a half. Since then, it has been acting straight crazy-beans. When firing it will sometimes scroll through menus and change settings, sometimes it doesn't fire at all, sometimes the LED display dims and brightens all on its own accord. I use Panny CGR 18650 batteries, and the stock cap.

Pros: nice button, nice display, best size I could ask for, weight feels appropriate.
Cons: cap threads are kindergarten level design, cap spring isn't the type that can compress greatly, as the coils are same size throughout (this causes serious strain on the positive connection/board), electronics do not appear to be reliable.

Draw your own conclusions from my opinions, but I personally wouldn't mention the Zmax and ProVari as being anywhere near equals. The ProVari isn't my favorite PV either, so not really a fanboy. I think it is overpriced for what it is, so that makes me feel the Zmax is a bigger ripoff at suggested retail. At street rates you may get some value if purchased from a vendor who will back up the warranty.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This is interesting ... a Zmax in acrylic. First I've heard of this ... seems like it might open a lot of design doors, and depending on what they're using, acrylics are pretty tough. GrimmGreen had a little look at this while he was at VaperCon ...
Mad Vapes website quote, "This is a variable volt APV made by madvapes that uses the same circuit board as the Zmax."

I'm not certain that I'd want to be advertising that. :blink:

Sorry, I'm stirring the pot.

Last edited:

lrage

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2010
Florida
There is certainly a cult of Provari that is almost Mac like. Like Mac is a quality product.

The zmax hasn't been out very long so actual long term quality is up in the air. In the hand I like it better then the provari, and I like the menu system better. Everyone says it's off and compared to my other devices it is. That does not mean it's a dealbreaker. I don't care if a number reads 3.2 or 4.1 or has 3 purple rotating lights as long as I know what to set it to and can dial it in when needed.

I used a v1 lavatube for a long time and had no issues. I could dial it in easy enough. If you need the best, spend the extra $100 and get a provari. If you want something that by all accounts works good and you're not risk adverse maybe try the zmax. In the end the extra $80 is up to you if it's worth it. If I had my own provari I'd probably use it over a zmax. Obviously since I don't it wasn't worth the extra $80 to me. Maybe v3 down the line I'll get one. I tend to throw some percent of my quit-smoking-savings at devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread