Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
For the last time, Revision 2 Zmax IS very accurate. While that is true, the jury is out on how long the internals will last. As far as I know, the Zmax does employ the same constant tuning that the Provari utilizes, that will keep it tuned from day 1 to year 6, to the last day your mod works... But is this true? and is the Zmax stable internally? We need to wait and see. 1 thing is for sure: If the Zmax breaks, there is no one out there thats gonna fix it for you. If your Provari breaks, Provari will fix it for you.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Yeah but eventually, sooner than later, the Zmax price will permanently be around there on all websites. No rush! lol. Its not going to go UP, thats for sure. Its not made in small quantities slowly and meticulously, its made to make thousands of people happy. It will follow suit with the mods in it's category and have a nice mid range price in the peak of its popularity I'm hoping. The LT, the Vmax, etc etc.. Although, the Zmax does have that game changer variable wattage feature so its obviously going to level out a bit higher than most VV devices. Fine with me. I just hope it turns out to be a well built PV for being over $120 right now.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I have never tried a ProVari, but with Madvape sale i couldn't pass up the chance to get me a SS ZMax. Was 89 bucks shipped and their going fast. I bet their stock doesn't make it threw the weekend, they had 160+ yesterday when i got the newsletter and ordered. Just checked and their down to 61 :p

It's a great deal at that price. I got a Zmax v2 for just under $100 a while back through a discount coupon at another vendor. I have a chrome v1, and am waiting on my stainless steel v2. I think you'll like this mod.
I picked up one of these lanyards - Zmax Lanyard, Black
Very cheap, and mine seems quite durable.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
i ordered the gunmetal v2, a skull driptip and the zmax lanyard today too :) patiently waiting.. came out under a 100 bucks for all!!! $4 international shipping, you cant beat that

Cool. I'll have to get used to the accurate setting on v2. Right now I'm vaping the v1. at what is really about 8.5 watts.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
nice! worth the price and then some. see the price of these smoktech mods far make up for the whole "but smoktech will not fix it if it breaks" debate thats been going on here for as long back as I can remember. If your ordering from a reputable retailer, you can trust that your retailer will take care of you if it breaks within a week of receiving it, y'know? sometimes, retailers add to the price of the mod and give you a 6 week or 6 month or X amount of time warranty as well. But when you've got the mod past the retailer's promises, its on your shoulders to take care of the mod, don't be rough with it, etc. No, smoktech won't fix 1 of their mods. But, the mod's price reflects that and IF smoktech manufactures these with enough standards, where these mods aren't breaking 3, 4, 5, 6 months in... Then past that amount of time, ask yourself, is the $100 worth it if it breaks in 6 months? Its my opinion that the Zmax is no more vulnerable to breakage than the higher priced mods. It is made of stainless just like the best of the more expensive mods. Its got the same physical chip placement as the Provari. Its got many of the same safety features as the best US made VV mods out, if not more. There are only a few true, screened, US made variable voltage devices on the market today and most of them have less technologically advanced features when compared to the Zmax. None have variable wattage. The US mods aren't even spoken of on most forums, their prices are/were sky high, and most (if not all of them excluding 1-2, 3 maybe?) have limited runs and then they are never made again. So, the Zmax holds software and electronics that are basically unprecedented in a mid-priced mod. In this way, sure, we may be guinea pigs for retail market beta tests in the 1st versions, and yes, the first versions are widely known to have flaws and break, but to return to my point... Is a 6 months to 1 year mod lifetime worth the $100 to $130 price tag? You have to ask yourself that, and then return to the positive and negative points above. We don't precisely know how protected the Zmax internals are software wise and we've only had this mod for a little while, especially the 8th menu version. Did Smoktech truly care that alll the people that bought the 7 menu version lost out on the 8th menu precision? I haven't heard/read an apology lol. How can you get good customer service from a corporation that deals with retailers directly with no contact with it's buyers? You honestly can't, and you depend on the retailer's warranties and promises and customer services. So, you really have to ask yourself if the Zmax is worth it with all of this in mind. I think 100 for a mod that lasts me 1 year and gives me the ability to finally play with variable wattage (something I've only ever hoped I'd someday get to do/use) is sort-of... worth the $130. Can/should I spend $130 or even $100 sales price on a mod that could break in a week with no warranty? Personally? I'll withhold. But as the price drops, I think it evens out and sort-of does raise the over-all buyer safety of the Zmax. As the 3, 4, 5 month updates slowly leak into the forums with people complaining of buttons popping out or screens easily cracking or glitches that never go away once they appear or center pins losing they're seal and juice leaking into the battery compartment or software corrupting or circuit boards overheating etc etc etc.. Those extended good/bad reviews WILL MAKE or BREAK the Zmax's reputation. And those of you that did choose to take the plunge, I'm right there with you and I hope for the best of course. We will see. But above is a list of what CAN happen with a cheaply made mod. Not what WILL. So, we will see how the Zmax stands up. I have a feeling that its a fairly well made mod and its going to stand up to the people truly and seriously doubting it. Only TIME, will tell. Is the Zmax worth getting rather than a Kicked US made fixed volt mod? idk. Thats your decision to make as well. Personally, I like screens/battery + resistance meters/etc. and I wouldn't want to be stuck without at least 1 mod with screen and these features.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
So, you really have to ask yourself if the Zmax is worth it with all of this in mind. I think 100 for a mod that lasts me 1 year and gives me the ability to finally play with variable wattage (something I've only ever hoped I'd someday get to do/use) is sort-of... worth the $130. Can/should I spend $130 or even $100 sales price on a mod that could break in a week with no warranty?

Both of mine have warranties. I can't remember what the warranty is on my v1. I know it's 6 months on my v2. Wall of text Plumes, and I'm sorry but you don't own one so don't know what the build quality is. My chrome one is very sturdy and I expect the stainless steel will be too. If you really want to know then buy one.

ZW99GT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
DFW

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Well I never said the Zmax was not built sturdily concerning the exterior case kiwi? I have stuck up for its outer casing, not put it down, because putting it down without owning one would be ignorant of me. I have pointed to the fact that its internal chips are exposed to the battery port, but I believe in the strength of stainless steel like anyone else who owns stainless steel mods would. I own a SS smoktech telescope and its VERY sturdy. It feels like a brick. I can't say what quality stainless the Zmax is or how thick the stainless is because I haven't held one and I don't own one but generally SS is a great casing for mods. I like that you've helped me in many cases here on the forum when I have accidentally relayed incorrect information that I had read/learned from a 3rd party, so please continue to correct me if I give out misconstrued info. I'll continue to bring what information I gather forth to help anyone willing and wanting to read it. I'm sorry my walls of text are not your preferred reading style haha, I usually hate walls of text myself but I've been so out of it lately and I haven't been bothering to use paragraphs. I'm sorry. I will hopefully eventually be able to write more organized and neatly written posts. But for now I'm sort of on a manic research and relay campaign for a few reasons. I just hope I've helped more members than I've annoyed on this constant ecf forum venture.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Question: Is the provari regulated to keep the voltage at the voltage you set it at? The voltage won't drop as the battery drains, right? Thats a deal breaker for me because I know the Zmax utilizes pulse width modulation and the voltage does not drop as you drain the battery. Can anyone answer this definitively? I just read above someone say that the provari drops voltage and the Zmax did not.

Quote from the Provape website on the Provari's microprocessor chip:

"ProVari with AccuSet™ technology - Our built-in dynamic self-calibration algorithm keeps the output voltage accurate to 1% or better over the life of the product. The ProVari will constantly monitor and adjust itself to ensure you always get accurate voltage settings. Now a ProVari owner can tell another ProVari owner to try a certain voltage setting with their favorite brand and flavor of e-liquid and the flavor experience can be shared.
Every device will autotune itself so it's always precise!"

This feature, above all the others, is what has distinguished the Provari from all other competitors in my opinion. That, in addition to the confidence that I can have Provape repair my device, should it ever need it to be, even after the warranty is completed.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
The ProVari will constantly monitor and adjust itself to ensure you always get accurate voltage settings. Now a ProVari owner can tell another ProVari owner to try a certain voltage setting with their favorite brand and flavor of e-liquid and the flavor experience can be shared."

Good point. From the results I've seen the Zmax 2 owners will be able to do the same - it's pretty accurate.

I'm not fan of these "vs" threads to be honest. Taking a pv that's been around for quite a while and putting it against a newcomer is flawed from the start. With the new pv people have to use it, test it, drop it a few times...
We got much more info on the Zmax 2 now, but these "vs" threads are usually a work in progress.

rem700

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Mn
Bought my first Provari first of the year.
Bought Lavatube lasted 29days got my money back.
Bought 2 Apollo vmax a few mths later no Provari but acceptable.
Bought another Provari.
Bought another Apollo Vmax
Just got in on aZmax clone co-op.
Buying another Provari in time for a Xmas gift for myself.

Not really sure how much I have saved over analogs but I feel alot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread