The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Provari on an Oscope vs Vamo

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by GrimmTech, Feb 14, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. dam718

dam718 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 30, 2012
    Hawaii
    IF the capacitor can fully discharge in the off cycle, it would look like that... I don't think it would... The resulting waveform would look similar to the lower wave form, but I don't think it would ever make it all the way down to zero... Unless it could completely discharge in less than 1/16th of a second, which I would have my doubts. Either way, the device would be so crazy out of tune from what you have it set to, you would have to have an oscope hooked up to it to tell you the resulting Vrms... Too big a pain in the butt...

That thing would sound like a really fast police siren

2. dam718

dam718 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 30, 2012
    Hawaii
    The MVP2 and iTaste V2 have straight DC output at their set voltage... They have a very clean output... They don't use PWM at all

The real shame is that these are the only two devices that Innoken uses this chipset in. If they could reign in the limitations of the circuit to broaden the wattage range from 3-15 (rather than the 6-11 it can do now), and get the voltage from 3-6V, rather than 3.3-5, that would be one awesome device.

They are very close...

The new L-Rider Lambo is a 20W device with clean DC output at all set voltages as well... But it doesn't always fire at the set voltage... Sometimes it fires a lot lower. If they can work that bug and get it to fire consistent every time, that will be a nice mod as well...

3. Codz

Codz Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Lancashire
    Most of the posts in this thread are far too technical for me, but at least i can now understand that the vape i get from evic really isnt as good as from the provari on the same voltage and there is a valid reason why - not just in my head! Good work ;)

4. GIMike

GIMike Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2009
    Around OKC, OK
    My question is, who that has been with this thread since the beginning, is still using the VAMO? :D I've gone through 2 of them, vapor was great, quality of the device itself was not.

5. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    coil temperature has been measured at 200-300 degrees ..700 would burn !
    antifreeze is almost useless in a straight mix !! thats why you make it a 50\50 mix

6. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    after thought:

i can't believe this thread is still going .

provari is quality,vamo is cheap crap ,,end of story

7. WarHawk-AVG

WarHawk-AVG Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013
    H-Town
    I started with a Vamo V3, still using it...right next to my MVP2 ;)

The hit/taste is different...noticeable but not enough to warrant throwing a Benjamin at it...but that's just me

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Signature Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    I didn't realize this thread had been unlocked until I needed to reference a quote from it. At the start of this thread I was using both the Vamo and a ProVari. One of my Vamos may have already been dead at that point, and the second has since died.

My (purchased) used, 3 year old ProVari looks the same as the day I got it. I've added one scratch to it, but all of the original scuffs and dings are intact. I've dropped it numerous times and on two occasions this loosened the head enough that the battery no longer made contact. A couple of whacks with a hammer to reseat the head and it was back working. I've had to clean the battery terminal contact once too.

Edit: I still consider the Vamo to be an excellent entry level VV/VW device, and since it requires both batteries and a charger, and as such, is a great gateway device to the ProVari. The Vamo should still be considered a disposable device though, much like eGo's and other similar mods. Anyone who gets a year or more of use from their Vamo and takes it out in public is fairly lucky (in my opinion). It does not handle repeated drops onto concrete well...

9. WarHawk-AVG

WarHawk-AVG Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013
    H-Town
    Absolutely agree with this statement...it is built under the "consumable" philosophy of make it so cheap and abundant that when it breaks (not if) you throw it away and get a new one...which unfortunately this is becoming more and more the normal way of construction on most of our products...cheap, inexpensive, and when it breaks forget fixing it, just throw it away and get a new one

10. PLANofMAN

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    Quoting this just to get it to the end of the thread and easier to find, since I seem to reference it every month or so.

11. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2013
    The Oort Cloud
    The Lambo v6.0 also gives a flat line voltage readout. It doesn't pulse like a mod with a 33.3 Hz chip does.
    How do I know this? Because when using an inline voltage meter I get a readout. With those inline voltage meters with LED readout IF one has a 33.3 Hz chip the meter will only flash... it does not like the pulsing so it only flashes.

12. RRaider

RRaider Full Member Verified Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Texas
    I just bought a Provari and have been using my Vamo for about 18mos. I wondered why I could set both devices at 3.2 volts and have the Vamo burn what was working well on the Provari.

13. PLANofMAN

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    Just a quick update to this thread. The Version 4 and 5 Vamo upgraded to a better chip and no longer use a 33.3 Hz chip. If you have a V3 or earlier Vamo, it uses the 33.3 hz chip.

14. RebelGolfer72

RebelGolfer72 Moved On ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ends to a mean :). One thing I can say, from my experience working for some time with resistance brazing equipment, there was more than one way to get the parts hot enough: hold on extreme power fast, high power pulsing it (and the duration/rests in pulses make a difference), or low power, letting it come up slowly. All 3 could make a connection, however, depending on what you were joining, the different methods gave different results in terms of heat staying concentrated, or more dispersed...oxidation and so on. So even if DC vs PWM low freq (33hz/66hz), vs PWM height frequency 650hz+) are all going to heat the coils differently and so on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. destinkarette

destinkarette Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Orange Grove, Texas
    Now THAT was an interesting read. Read thread from the start and learned a lot of technical info, as well as some things about human nature.

16. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Link to verify upgrade from 33.3hz?
    Everything Ive found states the V5 has the same electronics as the V3 (33.3hz).

This one shows the same 33.3hz as any other vamo/ (insert name here) about the 23 minute mark.--->

17. PLANofMAN

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    I should have checked it and confirmed. I was just repeating what I was told by a random Vamo owner.

18. SuperDave68

SuperDave68 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2013
    Spokane,WA
    well,
    I have been away from ecf for awhile. I was in a vape shop today looking for a cheap clearo to take through the airport and not risk losing my rba's at the check point, and I saw the Itaste 134 mod. it as an appealing "industrial" look to it, kind of reminded me of a style of air/hydraulic cylinder design.

anybody know what chipset it has in it ? I am tempted to get one, even though i now have two provari's, but if it is still the cheap 33hz chip, i don't think the cool look of it out weighs that detriment.

19. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    The Itaste 134 has a 48hz 'chip'.
    The 14.7hz 'improvement' over 33.3 isn't worth the cost difference IMO.

20. SuperDave68

SuperDave68 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2013
    Spokane,WA
    that's too bad, probably won't get one then, but they sure do look different

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.