Provari vs eGo Twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
OK, I know I'm going to get shot down in flames, here, but I just want to ay that I am not being deliberately contentious, here. I just want to understand. Why is the Provari so great. There are lots of people who love them, I know, but there seem to be a lot of issues with them. Centre posts that are too long, end caps that are the wrong colour, error messages etc. And the devices are not cheap. I may end up getting one of these myself, at some point, so any input is welcome. I have an eGo Twist, stainless steel, 650mah, which cost me about £22. Maybe £100 less than a Provari. It seems to be easier to shift between voltages, it is more compact, and it definitely does the job. I am aware that some people like things for a 'quality feel', and I understand this (I like nice watches that don't tell the time as accurately as a Timex quartz, for instance). Is this part of the appeal? I know you can change the batteries, and I know your can get an extra 1.2V with the Provari. Am I missing anything else? I would love to know. Do Provari users regularly use above 4.8V? If the answer is just 'it's bigger' that is definitely not a selling point for me (I don't go for big watches, so I definitely don't want a big PV just for the sake of it).

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
I think, your perceptions of the Provari may come from older versions. The current V2 is rarely reported to be anything but great from a quality and performance standpoint. The Twist is a very nice VV PV also. What it lacks technically compared to the Provari is - a display to indicate vaping voltage (twist has a marked dial, I know), battery status, resistance of the juice device. No, these things don't necessarily make or break the quality of the vape, but they are VERY handy. Provari electronics also provide the almost absolute assurance that what ever voltage you set, you will get, regardless of the resistance of the juice device. If the impedance is too low for the voltage you set, Provari will tell you instead of letting merrily go your way thinking you are vaping at the current setting. Provari also has more drive - 3.5 amps as opposed to 2.5 amps in the Twist. Provari can be used with 2000+ mah batteries and more. Biggest Twist is 1000 mah.

There is more, but I'm sure I'm boring many already. I don't say any of this to diminish the value of the Twist, I own one also.

Jixchel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Indiana
I have an ego twist, never have owned a provari, nor do I intend to get one. If I get a varialbe voltage mod, it will be a VVReo Grand. I currently use LR atomizers and rarely go above the 3.7 to 4.0 voltage setting on the Twist (I think, I can't see those tiny little marks) If I were using high resist atomiers I would be looking at something that went over 4.8 volts.

So considering things for me, as to why I might choose a provari over the twist I currently have:
Longer battery life
I can see the voltage setting
5v+ for high resist atty, carto etc...
Oh, and the 6ml tanks or the ViVi Nova look far better on a larger provari like device, they look pretty stupid (IMO) on the ego batteries.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
I have a few of both the Provari and the Ego C Twist. Each have their place in my scheme of things. Provari is beefier has more features, more power, Twist is lighter, less features but fine for the purpose which for me is testing DIY batches at 4.2 to 4.4 volts for taste, and the odd trip out. Most of the time out for shopping etc I'll carry an Ego C complete with the shorter of the batteries to have it comfortably in a shirt pocket or in a pocket in my handbag, or a Gripper with a flagpole kanger carto in it.

No one has to be slavishly devoted to one PV. I have kicked Helixes, kicked Silver Bullets as well and they are equally loved. It's nice to have choices ;)

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
As mentioned by others, it's comparing 2 different things, that can't really be compared. It's like comparing a nokia to an i-phone. Sure, the nokia is solid as a rock and can make phone calls just like any other phone, but the i-phone has all the bells and whistles. Or a 50 cal muzzle loader to a 30-30. A chihuahua and a german sheppard. TV dinners to all you can eat steak and shimp. Mad Dog 20-20 to smirnoff ice. A wife and a mistress....ok, I should stop there....

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
Your watch analogy brummyjon was a good one! My Provari just has the look and feel of quality. It certainly has some nice features and it's extremely reliable! Another good analogy would be a BMW vs a Toyota! What car is better? Well I suppose it depends on your needs! The Toyota is arguably more reliable and less expensive to operate. A BMW looks better, handles better, and provides more status!

So better is a relative term. Is inexpensive wine bad? No...good wine is wine that you like best! So if the idea of owning a Provari does not appeal to you stick with what you have. I own a Provari and it makes me feel good; I use it more than all of my other devices. It's an interesting topic and one that is fun to discuss!

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
Your watch analogy brummyjon was a good one! My Provari just has the look and feel of quality. It certainly has some nice features and it's extremely reliable! Another good analogy would be a BMW vs a Toyota! What car is better? Well I suppose it depends on your needs! The Toyota is arguably more reliable and less expensive to operate. A BMW looks better, handles better, and provides more status!

So better is a relative term. Is inexpensive wine bad? No...good wine is wine that you like best! So if the idea of owning a Provari does not appeal to you stick with what you have. I own a Provari and it makes me feel good; I use it more than all of my other devices. It's an interesting topic and one that is fun to discuss!

Yes, I can identify with this..... I think this is something that may matter to me more, when vaping becomes more mainstream. A timex is pretty exciting to others, in a land where no one has seen a watch before. I live in Britain's second city, and I think I saw my first 'other' vaper last week!

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Las Vegas, NV, USA
altcig.com
Thanks for posting this thread. I moved from 6v stacked battery vaping to 3.7 with LR supplies and got the big hit satisfaction in a small form factor. The twist adds a new level of enjoyment for me to dial in the voltage. Would love to have a Provari someday. I got the pleasure of trying one at VapeFest in Vegas last year. That model required 5 clicks then wait, more clicks to move up or down and I got confused. I think I would have fallen in love if there had been time to play with it. The plus on the twist is being able to have 3 or 4 loaded with different flavors to enjoy at a small price.

HPloco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
I get around
The feature that i like about the Provari is the ohm's display. If you forget what resistance is on, or if you just got a new carto/clearo/etc you can easily test it, even for a friend. Yes you can do it with a multimeter, but I can never find it when I need it. My friend needs to buy another one and then maybe I can purchase his old one.

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is that the Twist is disposable and the Provari is not. How long will a Twist last? 6 months? Then you throw it away and buy another for $25 or so vs. buying a $7 or $8 battery for the Provari.

I like both of them, and I own neither, so I don't have an ax to grind.

The Doctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
Barrie, ON
As stated, the provari is accurate, the ego is not (neither is the vmax. Lol @ pwm ) the provari has replaceable batteries, the ego does not. The provari has indicators, the ego does not (the vmax has indicators, they just don't work right.) The provari is made with high end electronics and materials the ego is not. (vmax is middle of the road here).

All 3 are good vv devices, all 3 will give a good vape... But all 3 are in a totally different class. The price reflects this. There's a reason more mods copy the provari (look at the vmax).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread