Status
Not open for further replies.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
The idea that American manufacturing is somehow better than Chinese manufacturing is either coming from people who don't understand the field, or coming from people who are resentful. China builds stuff the exact same way that we do. The vaunted American-made is a creature of the past, dead for 20 years or more.

That being said, there are quality Chinese manufacturers and there are cheap Chinese manufacturers. The problem with buying Chinese as that it really is hit or miss. The Chinese government keeps such a tight lid on the internet and communications that it's tough to get reliable information to make a well-researched decision.

If you want to play it safe, buy a Provari. If you're an American, you've got the added benefit of supporting an American company that provides American jobs and pays American taxes.

If you can't afford one, don't buy one. Buy an SVD or Vamo or ZMax or MVP or whatever and replace it 6 months or a year from now when you can afford the $50 or $60 again.

This is a fruitless argument. It's the difference between folks who smoked Marlboros and folks who smoked budget brands. Some people have the money, or can justify it in their own minds, and some folks don't have the money or can't justify spending it on that device.

That being said - the Provari is a bit outdated at this point. Variable wattage is needed just to keep up with the APV market. Someone should poke Provape and get them on board... I haven't bought a Provari yet, and it's for exactly that reason. I don't lack the funds, but for that price it better be either a beautiful mech, or a VV/VW device of the highest quality.

Just my :2c:

What field are you referring to? The Chinese employment of virtual slave labor sacrifices quality for cheap build costs in most cases.

Are there exceptions? Absolutely there are. There are some quality Chinese manufacturers, and there are some lousy American manufacturers. That said, there is no PV coming from China that can rival the ProVari. The closest mass-produced PV is the Semovar, by SvoëMesto and it is manufactured Germany.

It is not "resentful" to recognize this situation. Even if this perception is wrong, it doesn't make someone resentful.

Don't get a ProVari. I am not selling them. They are not gonna make VW any time soon, if ever.

I got one "outdated" VV ProVari, and sold my Vamo, eVic, Lavatube, and got a second ProVari. In my opinion, it is worth 10 VW mods, and VW is just for people who don't want to perform simple math calculations. If you know your volts and ohms, two calculations provide you wattage. This seems like a silly reason to refuse to consider the purchase of the most accurate PV on the market, but it's your money and your vaping habit.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I for one, would never take offence over a negative Provari comment.
Why?
Because I don't care and I've got better things to do.

Is the Provari the greatest PV ever made?
Probably not. There's always something better but.......
I haven't found it yet.

I agree there's a lot of hype but it's justifiable.
I only wish I had more than one!
And this Christmas it's time for a REO :toast:

A ProVari and a Reo are lovely for two-fisted vaping, they complement each other very well. But, OMG! I like my Phidias better than my Reo. I'm sure the only thing the Reonauts would want to know is if I plan on selling it.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I'm in england. If you couldn't get a Provari from the usa for some unlikely reason and found you could get one from england, would you pay the price they charge here ?.
LOL in the past year I have bought mods from atmomixani, atmizoo, MMV (all from greece) a semovar direct from russia, a megatron direct from hungary, an atty from finland, an atty from taiwan, and a couple attys from germany and now waiting for a EU company to release their VW mod, all of theme were each more then a provari cost even BEFORE the exchange rate.,

for some of us the price of a quality piece or location isnt the issue, the real question is did I get what i paid for. so the answer to your question is if the only place i could get a provari is from overseas at a higher cost then yes I would still pay it. if people are happy spending a few bucks on something else thats fine its your money. personally i see a difference, the tests have proven its different, and very few mods have proven to have a comparable or better electrical signal. my first provari was sold in the classies not to long ago, it was a VER 1 chrome almost 2 years old. still got 125 bucks for it. why? becuase even at that age it still worked like new and looked flawless.

The idea that American manufacturing is somehow better than Chinese manufacturing is either coming from people who don't understand the field, or coming from people who are resentful. China builds stuff the exact same way that we do. The vaunted American-made is a creature of the past, dead for 20 years or more.
thats funny, I could have sworn that i recently read an article saying the chinese buy more harley's and GM vehicles then they do asian models. hmmm

but for some products you are correct, except this one. crooked boards, buttons failing threads stirppng and they dont even try to reproduce the provari's signature PWM, they said ours is good enough.

true story: a US vendor complained to a chinese manufacturer about the problems with some of cloned mechanicals, and the response was "we dont care, too many people are willing to buy the product the way it is and fix it themselves or deal with it as is" he said later he was disgusted at the lack of concern for the customers safety and refuses to carry them now. to me that doesnt sound like quality manufacturing, so as long as people HERE are stupid enough to keep buying junk they are happy to never try to make it better.

It has nothing to do with them being able to produce the same quality it has to do with the govt manipulating the economy to keep companies there and the chinese workforce will crumble the minute the govt over there quits subsidizing the economy by forcing the banks to hold the interest rates down and forcing an artificially low inflation rate, thereby creating an unfair exchange rate and cheaper labor. (the US has complained about this for years) the very day that happens you watch how fast all these companies come crawling back to the US. and those cheap chinese mods will then be just as expensive if not more.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I think it's because people don't read the person's post.

If someone posts - "I've tried vaping and like it and want a durable pv and cost doesn't enter into it- fine to suggest a ProVari.

*If someone posts - "Help, my ego battery isn't charging, what can I do to fix it" and someone posts- throw it out the window and buy a Provari. Not fine. And this actually happened.

I like the threads where the OP asks what resistance head they should use with a ProTank on their brand new Spinner and are told they need to get an RBA and some Kanthal...

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Yes, I have considered it but I can be one of the illuminati if I keep it. LOL.. although a distant cousin.

goc.gif

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I'm confused by this analogy, I'm sorry. Are you saying something like if Mercedes started making refrigerators would they charge more because they are made by Mercedes? Or the reason Mercedes doesn't make refrigerators is because no one would pay the asking price, since how could Mercedes make a refrigerator that costs as much as a car?
:confused:.......!!

RJPAVLAS

Oct 29, 2013
Texas
I really want to get a provari based on how well its built and how accurate it is as far as what I am hearing about it. What I do not understand though is why when someone makes a statement that it is overpriced or there are mods just as good and far cheaper, all the heat that someone has to take.

I thought people have a right to give an opinion. God forbid I purchase one and give a negative review on it...Will people be in front of my house with torches...????????????

Ibought my provari simply because I heard good things about it and mainly because its made in america and my opinion is TWO THUMBS UP.... no complaints..

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
LOL in the past year I have bought mods from atmomixani, atmizoo, MMV (all from greece) a semovar direct from russia, a megatron direct from hungary, an atty from finland, an atty from taiwan, and a couple attys from germany and now waiting for a EU company to release their VW mod, all of theme were each more then a provari cost even BEFORE the exchange rate.,

for some of us the price of a quality piece or location isnt the issue, the real question is did I get what i paid for. so the answer to your question is if the only place i could get a provari is from overseas at a higher cost then yes I would still pay it. if people are happy spending a few bucks on something else thats fine its your money. personally i see a difference, the tests have proven its different, and very few mods have proven to have a comparable or better electrical signal. my first provari was sold in the classies not to long ago, it was a VER 1 chrome almost 2 years old. still got 125 bucks for it. why? becuase even at that age it still worked like new and looked flawless.

thats funny, I could have sworn that i recently read an article saying the chinese buy more harley's and GM vehicles then they do asian models. hmmm

but for some products you are correct, except this one. crooked boards, buttons failing threads stirppng and they dont even try to reproduce the provari's signature PWM, they said ours is good enough.

true story: a US vendor complained to a chinese manufacturer about the problems with some of cloned mechanicals, and the response was "we dont care, too many people are willing to buy the product the way it is and fix it themselves or deal with it as is" he said later he was disgusted at the lack of concern for the customers safety and refuses to carry them now. to me that doesnt sound like quality manufacturing, so as long as people HERE are stupid enough to keep buying junk they are happy to never try to make it better.

Where is the smiley for "dispair". :(.

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
I also used to be hung up about the VV vs. VW thing. Guess what? When I pick up my Innokin itaste 134, and suck on it, I get a lungful of vapor. It's only VW. When I pick up one of my Provari's and suck on it, I also get a lungful of vapor. It's only VV. I don't even think about it. They both work as vaping devices. It's really not that big of a deal folks.

If anyone is using the lack of VW as an excuse to not buy a Provari, then why not just admit the real reason? You just don't want to spend the money for one! I have an SS Vamo V3, it was only $38 from Fasttech. I have a Kamry K200, it was only $31 from Fasttech. I just ordered an Innokin itaste SVD from Fasttech yesterday, it was $37. All three together cost $3 less than half what I paid for EACH of my Provari's. A Provari 2.5, with Ceracote finish, and matching extension cap, with green or blue LED display cost $215. Yes, that's just a tad more than four cartons of cigarettes, but it seems we just can't get past the cost comparisons with the cheap Chinese junk.

I really do like all my vaping devices. Each one has it's own merits. I've not regretted buying any of them.

best regards, larry mac

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Yes, that's just a tad more than four cartons of cigarettes, but it seems we just can't get past the cost comparisons with the cheap Chinese junk.

its funny how fast people forgot before the vamo changed the scene the ZMAX was 140 bucks.
evics were 130 new and the 134 is still over 100, if your lucky you get a 30 day warranty

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I told you I was confused.

I was talking about a mech mod in contrast to a variable voltage device. I think i can compare the 2 in this context can't i ? Chalk and cheese, apples and oranges.

It appears you are saying that comparing a mechanical to a VV device is "chalk and cheese" (I like that:)) I completely agree. Outside of being vaping devices, they have little in common.

Mercedes and refrigerators both have doors and are sort of rectangular, so they are pretty chalk and cheese.

:facepalm:!...

Let me ask this, if Mercedes started making refrigerators would they charge customers up for it because it is made by them and they now have a good reputation ?. Or Mercedes don't make refrigerators because they know no one would pay the price they would want !. How could Mercedes make a refrigerator that would be worth as much as a Mercedes?.

It was your analogy. :)

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
You know you buy a car, sooner or later it needs new parts. You buy batteries then throw them away. There isn't much being produced that isn't disposable. I remember a joke from a comedy show here in england. There's this road sweeper, he's talking to his mate about his broom, he says "i've had this broom now for 10 years, it's had 20 new handles and 40 new heads."

Could just buy a cheap broom specifically to throw away when it's worn out. It's what the whole world is doing anyway, because things get worn out don't they. And nothing lasts forever does it !.

But you could go the new handle and new head route if you want to fool yourself that it does actually last forever.

Last edited:

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
"70-90% of the vaping community vape in these tolerances." I'm skeptical of this claim. Is there any data to support it? I'd be very surprised if the actual figure is anywhere near that high.

best regards, larry mac

Yep, and 73.5% of statistics are made up. :lol:

[Edit/delete] as for the rest, never mind it was already dealt with...

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
now you need to add the new POO mod busardo just reviewed to your little collection :D

Google Google Google

ETA: Do you mean The Kourada? It's not nice to get me all excited about potential Squee. I still want a Calabash, but I can't decide what color.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread