ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Same here. I was around 12 when I joined scouts, though, I was actually recruited early so I could go on my first 50 mile hike (I believe it was actually around 70 miles) through the Sisters Mountains in Oregon. We used to earn REI points for various attendances and being in full uniform. Each point was worth 5 cents, and if you were super active, you get up to $200 in credits. We'd then spend the night waiting outside the REI at Jantzen Beach the night before their anniversary sales.

I still shop there, mostly online. My last purchase a year ago was a Neso beach shade. I was a little disappointed when they discontinued their lifetime warranty policy. Oh, well. I still have my red Goretex jacket I bought from that first sale and it still works, though the lining on the inside seams have fallen away. Maybe if I spent some time with some tent sealer I could fix it.

View attachment 976198

I have two REI stores not far from home. The original in the area is about a 30 minute drive. It a small store in a strip mall. Most brand name pharmacies have twice the floor space at least. This is the one my son worked at. Even though it was small they did a great business. They always turned in top figures for sales per sq foot of store space. One of the metrics REI Corp would look at and then not close the store just because it was a small local shop.

And a new 'big modern one' they build a few years ago is about a 20 minute drive.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I have two REI stores not far from home. The original in the area is about a 30 minute drive.
    Yeah. I had to look up the old Jantzen Beach location (Jantzen; famous for swimwear and backpacks). They moved that one a few years ago to Portland’s Pearl District; probably the priciest piece of real estate in the area. The picture of the outside looks like an Apple Store. lol. Our closest one is up in Jacksonville. More of an oddity, I think I bought water bottle and cage there once.

Never got to go to the original Seattle location. But I was always fascinated by the stories of the pneumatic tube shoots at the registers.

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Yeah. I had to look up the old Jantzen Beach location (Jantzen; famous for swimwear and backpacks). They moved that one a few years ago to Portland’s Pearl District; probably the priciest piece of real estate in the area. The picture of the outside looks like an Apple Store. lol. Our closest one is up in Jacksonville. More of an oddity, I think I bought water bottle and cage there once.

Never got to go to the original Seattle location. But I was always fascinated by the stories of the pneumatic tube shoots at the registers.

The biggest one I was at was in Denver. The entire red brick building in he background is 'all' REI.
    IMG_9738.jpeg

And a partial look at the 1st floor
    IMG_0296.jpeg

Honestly I thought it was too big ... and you didn't get the customer service like the smaller stores.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    @gnees !!! Vert-de-FERK is goin' on in Philly? What - you pack your bags and the entire city goes to kaka???

For cryin' out loud, man, it looks like their Adobe subscription ran out so they had to break out the old dot matrix printer!

Did they run outta cheesesteaks or sumpin'? No more soft pretzel with mustard? What the HEAYL is goin' ON?!?!?!? :eek:o_O:mad:

Somebody get Rocky Balboa on the line so he can put a whuppin' on who-EVER it is that came up with THIS garbage!

EaglesNewLogo.png

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    @gnees !!! Vert-de-FERK is goin' on in Philly? What - you pack your bags and the entire city goes to kaka???

For cryin' out loud, man, it looks like their Adobe subscription ran out so they had to break out the old dot matrix printer!

Did they run outta cheesesteaks or sumpin'? No more soft pretzel with mustard? What the HEAYL is goin' ON?!?!?!? :eek:o_O:mad:

Somebody get Rocky Balboa on the line so he can put a whuppin' on who-EVER it is that came up with THIS garbage!

View attachment 976578

And they are going back to their traditional 'green' for their uniforms. Marketing, got to sell more gear with the 'new-old' color scheme.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    And they are going back to their traditional 'green' for their uniforms. Marketing, got to sell more gear with the 'new-old' color scheme.

I'm not sure, Mike. I just saw the new logo on McAfee. They discussed the colors but no mention, so I'm guessing they're sticking with the current until they need another revenue-bump.

Reactions: FringeChief68

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA

Users who are viewing this thread