Public Vaping is no Good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
I'm really convinced of this, at least where I live.
Classes started last week and already I have had a dozen people asking me if I was smoking illegal drugs. Some even asking to share with them. I educated them, but they immediately get turned off.
Besides that, I have been given a hard time on multiple occasions.
I walk into my favorite local coffee shop and ask them if they allow electronic cigarettes. They pause, and say I have to take it outside on the patio. No big deal, its a beautiful day outside. I sit outside enjoying my vape, coffee, meal, and a good book. All of a sudden the owner (possibly a manager) starts telling me that I can't have "that" on the premises, much less smoke it. I ask him what he thought it was, and he said it was for a specific illegal substance. I tell him no and what it was, and start to explain what it is in the juice when he asks me, "and I'm supposed to just believe you?" This irked me, why did he have to be so rude? I sure wasn't trying to be. He eventually just asks me to leave, so I pay my tab and sit on the bench across the street to finish my coffee. Not sure if I will be taking my business there anymore.
A second time was on campus. Before I ever vaped inside, I talked with campus security to make sure it was ok. They asked me to show them my mod and what it "produces" (the vapor cloud). They said I could, under their own discretion. During a break from one of my classes, I stepped in the hall to have a vape, having a conversation with one of my buddies. A professor walks out of a classroom, does a double take, and tells me I can't smoke in here. I tell him that its not smoking, just vapor, and that I had checked with security to make sure it was ok. He simply replied, "look, I don't make the rules and I'll call campus security to make sure...yadayada." I stopped and went back to class.
Tonight, in a nearly empty building, I had a night class. Again, on break, my teacher asks me to take it outside. Ok, ok, I need to vape outside (or in a secluded staircase). But then she said that it contained formaldehyde. Huh? I don't even bother with that.
In conclusion, I now only vape outside where it isn't crowded. Winter is coming and I'm not looking forward to it. Luckily, I can vape inside my work building and found a coffee shop that has no problem with it.
Am I being rude or irrational here? I try to always make sure no one has a problem with my vaping before I do it inside, but someone always seems to have issues.
Alright, excessively long vent over.:oops:

JohnnyVsGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I tend to eat at places that have bars and I make friends with the waitresses. If a manager asks me to stop I educate them about vg/pg and that those are food ingredients. I also flash my awesome Yelp Elite status on my phone to them which means I'm an avid food blogger and critic. Don't mess with me. I could f up your business and you want good reviews.

As for school that's a bit different and they have their own crazy security. I'd happily vape outside and as I said before educate, educate, educate. I've been told no before and it wasn't due to vaping so I'm used to being my own advocate and don't appreciate being told I can't do something.

Belushi

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2009
The Colony, TX
Never really had an issue, may be the area I'm in (e.g. Dallas), lots of vape shops, etc.. I've never really used a large mod in public, your post has gotten me thinking how that will go (e.g. just ordered a Provari with a ProTank). Always just used a ego or the like in public (e.g. restaurants, stores, etc.), I've never been obvious about it tho. At restaurants I'll lay my e-cig on the table, but won't take large hits, etc.. Wife, will nudge me at the movie theater, but again, I keep it on the low down. Only responses have been from waiters/waitresses that also vape, wondering what kind of juice I'm using, or just making idle talk. Vape at work, but only at the desk, don't take it into meetings, etc... However, there is a guy at work that takes his e-cig into meetings, personally just don't see it necessary.

JohnnyVsGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I have a K100 with a ProTank on top but I personally think women get hassled less about vaping. Maybe it's just me but they may look, ask a question here and there but I haven't had anyone really tell me no. But, this is Chicago, we have a vape kiosk at the largest mall in Cook County blocks away from here. I vape at Legoland and no one says boo to me. I'm an annual pass holder. Maybe I spend too much money around here and they don't want to scare me away. I don't get it.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I'm really convinced of this, at least where I live.
Classes started last week and already I have had a dozen people asking me if I was smoking illegal drugs. Some even asking to share with them. I educated them, but they immediately get turned off.
Besides that, I have been given a hard time on multiple occasions.
I walk into my favorite local coffee shop and ask them if they allow electronic cigarettes. They pause, and say I have to take it outside on the patio. No big deal, its a beautiful day outside. I sit outside enjoying my vape, coffee, meal, and a good book. All of a sudden the owner (possibly a manager) starts telling me that I can't have "that" on the premises, much less smoke it. I ask him what he thought it was, and he said it was for a specific illegal substance. I tell him no and what it was, and start to explain what it is in the juice when he asks me, "and I'm supposed to just believe you?" This irked me, why did he have to be so rude? I sure wasn't trying to be. He eventually just asks me to leave, so I pay my tab and sit on the bench across the street to finish my coffee. Not sure if I will be taking my business there anymore.
A second time was on campus. Before I ever vaped inside, I talked with campus security to make sure it was ok. They asked me to show them my mod and what it "produces" (the vapor cloud). They said I could, under their own discretion. During a break from one of my classes, I stepped in the hall to have a vape, having a conversation with one of my buddies. A professor walks out of a classroom, does a double take, and tells me I can't smoke in here. I tell him that its not smoking, just vapor, and that I had checked with security to make sure it was ok. He simply replied, "look, I don't make the rules and I'll call campus security to make sure...yadayada." I stopped and went back to class.
Tonight, in a nearly empty building, I had a night class. Again, on break, my teacher asks me to take it outside. Ok, ok, I need to vape outside (or in a secluded staircase). But then she said that it contained formaldehyde. Huh? I don't even bother with that.
In conclusion, I now only vape outside where it isn't crowded. Winter is coming and I'm not looking forward to it. Luckily, I can vape inside my work building and found a coffee shop that has no problem with it.
Am I being rude or irrational here? I try to always make sure no one has a problem with my vaping before I do it inside, but someone always seems to have issues.
Alright, excessively long vent over.:oops:
Looks like you might need a few of these to hand to them

Pictures = 1000 words

CASAA Printable Material

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
Good thinking WarHawk.
I was using my Reo with a 1.7ohm build during these events, so it wasn't fog machine like clouds :confused:
But I do live in a large town, nothing close to Chicago or Dallas or Detroit. Only one store sells e-cig supplies, and its limited. Although, the owner is opening a purely vaping shop down near campus, so maybe that will help with all the misconceptions!

Crazyinariz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Apparently, Phoenix, AZ (and the surrounding suburbs) are very vape friendly cities. The only 2 places I've been to in the 13 months I've been vaping that aren't vape friendly are University of Phoenix Stadium and the office of the company I work for (when the office mgr is there). I vape tall and proud, never stealth, in bars, restaurants, coffee shops and movie theatres with no problems. I get funny looks but I got those before I started vaping so I'm not sure if they're vape related or not. I posted last week in the phoenix area of the ECF that I was openly vaping at The Improv and then worst that happened was one of the comics pointed me out as 'e-cig guy'. I guess I never realized how vape friendly Phoenix is.

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
U can say its an epipen for allergies...
Just a thought

While that response may defuse the immediate situation.....it doesn't really "solve" the problem of people's misconceptions of vaping vs smoking.....
Plus....it's LYING....and we all know where THAT can - and often DOES - lead......:( We vapers need to tread lightly in uncharted territory.....!!
Just MY:2c:.....
Happy (vaping) Trails!

gmb225

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
somerset ky
what we need to do is stop calling it a damn cigarette! i dont smoke an ecigarette! im vaping a personal vaporizer and its blue berry waffle flavored. that totally changes the response from a bad one to a all ok answer everytime. were digging our own grave just by using the word e-cigarette all they hear is cigarette, and have a response that must be bad for u!

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
what we need to do is stop calling it a damn cigarette! i dont smoke an ecigarette! im vaping a personal vaporizer and its blue berry waffle flavored. that totally changes the response from a bad one to a all ok answer everytime. were digging our own grave just by using the word e-cigarette all they hear is cigarette, and have a response that must be bad for u!

I prefer vaporizer myself however be aware that before ecigs were invented, vaporizers were exclusively something else. I run into some confusion when I call it a vaporizer, so I clarify by saying ecig.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I prever vaporizer myself however be aware that before ecigs were invented, vaporizers were exclusively something else. I run into some confusion when I call it a vaporizer, so I clarify by saying ecig.

Agreed. And it sounds like the OP, being on a campus and all, is running into a lot of people who see his PV as a "something else" device, probably from their experiences.

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
Among students, yes. But professors generally recognize it as a legal device, but may simply ask me if it could be used for other things as a side question. I tell them I do not know how, but there are people that do (the honest truth).
Maybe I should have a big sticker on my mod that states, "I AM DOING NOTHING WRONG." Think that could get the point across? Haha;)

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I live in a very conservative community where people are very likely to assume the worst about what I'm vaping. I'm so thankful for vaping getting me off my 2 1/2 pack a day cigarette habit that I don't want to leave any negative first impressions that people may have of vaping so I use my eRolls in public only in places where vaping is welcome. No matter how convincing one is it is impossible to unring the bell of a negative first impression.

Because of the Blue commercials and the attractive iPhone-like eRoll PPC case I have never had a negative reaction when in public (knock on wood). On the contrary, people very often approach me to ask if I'm using one of those e-cigarettes and whether it works well. They also want to know about the safety of the juice. No one has ever asked me if I'm vaping "other stuff".

If I think of it I toss my iTaste VV 3.0 in my purse to show people something that most people will probably find to be more effective than a cig-alike for quitting smoking. I also carry friend tips so people can try out my eRoll and/or iTaste VV 3.0, cards for ECF, CASA and some of my favorite vendors to hand out to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread