Public Vaping is no Good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I vape almost everywhere and I've had 99.9% positive responses. I applaud your vaping openly and it appears respectfully as that is the only way perceptions will change. I suspect a university setting and your age has more to do with your negative encounters, unfortunately for you. The suggestion of carrying material from CASAA to provide to people is a good idea.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I'm fortunate that my town is so vape friendly, but even here one runs into the ignorance and idiocy. I was at a local bar here where vaping is allowed inside and even the bartenders vape on duty, but as I sat there enjoying my drink and vaping an elderly woman on the other side of the bar, about 25 ft. away, started putting on a show of fake coughing and sneezing as she glared at me.

Well my mech and RBA is very obviously NOT a cigarette.

I just moved down the bar to the other end and mentioned to the bartender what she was doing. "Oh yeah," he said, "she's done that before with others here, saying they are smoking and complaining to us about it."

I think there will always be people like this. As the bartender said, "Anything to have something to get on someone about."

XeniaMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Xenia, Ohio
I'm amazed how long e-cigs have been around and still how ignorant the public is about it. I get dumbfounded looks all the time from local rubes, but mostly while driving. In an effort to limit my exposure to low IQ's, I usually don't vape anywhere I can't smoke. Who needs the hassle... Plus, smokers are still fun people to hang out with.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I was taking two of my Kanger T3s' out of my purse pocket the other day and as I looked at them sitting in the palm of my hand the word "vials" flashed through my mind. They honestly do look like vials, especially with the ml markings on them. I have the clear tanks with the clear mouth piece. They could easily be mistaken for such. I've gotten strange looks from people with my Vivi Nova but these Kangers make me a tad leery because of their looks and I got to thinking that some of these tanks have a look that isn't going to be any help when people who don't know better may think they are vials of illegal liquids of some sort. I think I'll vape with my Vivi Nova out in public and save the T3s for at home.

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
I tend not to vape much inside if i can avoid it and when i am out and about i tend to use ego 650 batts as people tend to stare if you are wandering around with a bigger one (ooooh matron!).

I've vaped in hospital and shopping malls without any problems and thus far havent had any negative reactions. The UK so far, or at least where i am based in the north west seems to be vape-friendly, but i am sure the inevitable negative media coverage at some point will change that.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I was taking two of my Kanger T3s' out of my purse pocket the other day and as I looked at them sitting in the palm of my hand the word "vials" flashed through my mind. They honestly do look like vials, especially with the ml markings on them.

It has occurred to me that my vaping rig might also look like drug paraphernalia, to the ignorant, but I reported for jury duty at the courthouse here with my mech and RBA in my purse, went through the checkpoint to go into the courthouse where my purse was scanned with my vape in it, and no troubles at all. The officers there knew what it really was. No questions about it at all.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
It has occurred to me that my vaping rig might also look like drug paraphernalia, to the ignorant, but I reported for jury duty at the courthouse here with my mech and RBA in my purse, went through the checkpoint to go into the courthouse where my purse was scanned with my vape in it, and no troubles at all. The officers there knew what it really was. No questions about it at all.

I'm thinking law enforcement and such are more aware of vaping than the general public. They are exposed to so much more than the average person on a daily basis. Which is good, we need them to know. They are the ones that count if there is ever a prob with illegal substance accusations.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
If I saw someone with a REO, my first assumption would be it was for inhaling something else, especially in a college setting. But, I thoroughly enjoyed your rant.

The first time I was questioned on vaping, I was sitting outside (on the smoking side) of a cruise ship. I was vaping on a volt X2 with a clearo. A young lady comes up to me and asks if that was a g pen. I looked at her funny and said no it was a volt. I asked what a g pen was and she explained.. similar but for another substance. I explained ohh this is just nicotine and flavoring (I am trying to quit smoking for the 2,000th time) and let her look at it. She looked at it and me and said ohhh cool. I guess it could be used for nicotine too.

This was about a year ago. no one knows what it is them.. just like no one knows what is my watermelon when I go on a picnic yet only adults are allowed to eat any..

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I vape in public all the time. It's never a big problem. I do carry business cards for local vape shops, so when people ask questions, I hand them cards.

I do think it's easier here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, where there are quite a few local brick-n-morter vape shops. There are a lot of people vaping, which helps.

I think if we don't vape in public, then the public will never be educated about vaping.

rasmith1959

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Guthrie, OK
I live near Oklahoma City where there are new vape stores opening every other week it seems. I openly vape in public and have yet to be accused of doing anything wrong. I have on several occasions been asked if those ecigs actually work or not though....

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4.

Pitviper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
My town is pretty vape friendly. I use a couple different mech mods, an mvp, and an evic out in public (not all at the same time) and Im not stealthy about. I havent had any negative interactions yet. I was a little leary out possible LEO issues, but forutnatley there are several sherifs and city cops that vape. I did have one stop me to ask about one of my mech setups once, but he wanted to know how to setup an rda. Lol

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
I haven't had any problems in my area, although I don't try to vape in stores or restaurants, or right in the middle of a large group of people. We do have several vape shops in the area, along with several gas stations and "fine art blown glass" shops that have signs that they sell e-cigarettes. I haven't actually seen anyone else out and about vaping though. When I was with my daughter (who still smokes) at the hospital, when she had her last baby, I brought an extra ego setup for her, and we both vaped in the labor room, though not when the nurse was in the room, but we had them laying out on the nightstand. I usually use my ego when I'm out and about, and I leave the e-liquid in its original bottles (I generally buy 10 ml. bottles), in case the "what" becomes an issue:)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I vape in public all the time. It's never a big problem. I do carry business cards for local vape shops, so when people ask questions, I hand them cards.

I do think it's easier here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, where there are quite a few local brick-n-morter vape shops. There are a lot of people vaping, which helps.

I think if we don't vape in public, then the public will never be educated about vaping.

Agree completely and not in smoking areas which will just continue to give the perception that vaping is the same as smoking and just as dangerous.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
[/B]

Agree completely and not in smoking areas which will just continue to give the perception that vaping is the same as smoking and just as dangerous.

I have to 'agree' to 'disagree' here. No matter how many people I "attempt" to educate about Vaping, the majority could care less... it's not 'their' problem, it's 'our' problem... only "Smokers" are generally interested, and most only mildly at that. I decided to stop trying to educate the uninterested and/or uninformed. I talk to those who ask, but for the most part, I vape "discretely" in Public places, in secrecy, and without conflict. EVERY single person I run the "Vaping is not smoking, It's harmless tea kettle-like Vapor with a food-grade additive and some Nicotine" on, just looks at me with utter contempt and cynicism. You can't convince a rigid fixed mindset.

I will continue to vape in Public, but I'm tired of trying to educate people who have already been brainwashed. :glare:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I have to 'agree' to 'disagree' here. No matter how many people I "attempt" to educate about Vaping, the majority could care less... it's not 'their' problem, it's 'our' problem... only "Smokers" are generally interested, and most only mildly at that. I decided to stop trying to educate the uninterested and/or uninformed. I talk to those who ask, but for the most part, I vape "discretely" in Public places, in secrecy, and without conflict. EVERY single person I run the "Vaping is not smoking, It's harmless tea kettle-like Vapor with a food-grade additive and some Nicotine" on, just looks at me with utter contempt and cynicism. You can't convince a rigid fixed mindset.

I will continue to vape in Public, but I'm tired of trying to educate people who have already been brainwashed. :glare:

Well I understand your frustration but my results have been for the most part very positive. By vaping openly most places but respectfully, I have had more positive interactions and have gotten hundreds of requests for more information for either the person asking or a loved one.

Perception is reality. If we automatically do what the ANTZ's want us to do and define vaping, through our actions, as being just the same as smoking and equally dangerous, then we might as well join the ANTZ's in having vaping banned or severely restricted. Sometimes being discrete is understandable depending on the situation. But, in general, hiding like kids, as if we are doing something harmful, is not the message I want to project to others.

JamezC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Arkansas
I also go to college but I never vape in public, just in my car and at home. I just don't like attention and I have a feeling that if I pulled out my MVP and started vaping that people either A: wouldn't know what I was doing and give me odd looks or B: ask me tons of questions or generally be rude so I save myself the hassle lol. Where I live in Arkansas I literally haven't seen anyone vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread