Public Vaping is no Good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
I tend to eat at places that have bars and I make friends with the waitresses. If a manager asks me to stop I educate them about vg/pg and that those are food ingredients. I also flash my awesome Yelp Elite status on my phone to them which means I'm an avid food blogger and critic. Don't mess with me. I could f up your business and you want good reviews.

As for school that's a bit different and they have their own crazy security. I'd happily vape outside and as I said before educate, educate, educate. I've been told no before and it wasn't due to vaping so I'm used to being my own advocate and don't appreciate being told I can't do something.

Thats all well and good but if its a guy and he sees your mod holder he won't say anything cause he's already dazed and confused.
So wont work for the rest of us. lol

redeyes24321

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
Colorado
I always try to be as courteous as possible when people question me because I want people to see vapers as good people, but sometime I just want to tell people to ....... off! Most people don't care about what I have to say, they just want to try to tell me what to do ("you cant smoke here!") There are no laws or regulations pertaining to ecigs here so realistically there isn't a damn thing they can do. Although I don't usually vape in businesses or restaurants, if I'm not allowed to vape and I feel the need to take a vape a lot of times I just go into the restroom to get my fix.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I have to 'agree' to 'disagree' here. No matter how many people I "attempt" to educate about Vaping, the majority could care less... it's not 'their' problem, it's 'our' problem... only "Smokers" are generally interested, and most only mildly at that. I decided to stop trying to educate the uninterested and/or uninformed.

Mostly, I only talk to people who ask me about it. If they don't ask, I just do whatever I would be doing anyway. When people ask, that's when I talk to them about it.

If they "could care less" then that's good enough it doesn't smell bad. Since they aren't smelling a stinky cigarette, they either don't care at all, or they are curious.

I do sometimes mention it to smokers (and hand them a card or two for local vape shops) and tell them that if they want to quit, it really does work. After that, if they don't ask questions, I figure they aren't interested.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
I'm really convinced of this, at least where I live.
Classes started last week and already I have had a dozen people asking me if I was smoking illegal drugs. Some even asking to share with them. I educated them, but they immediately get turned off.
Besides that, I have been given a hard time on multiple occasions.
I walk into my favorite local coffee shop and ask them if they allow electronic cigarettes. They pause, and say I have to take it outside on the patio. No big deal, its a beautiful day outside. I sit outside enjoying my vape, coffee, meal, and a good book. All of a sudden the owner (possibly a manager) starts telling me that I can't have "that" on the premises, much less smoke it. I ask him what he thought it was, and he said it was for a specific illegal substance. I tell him no and what it was, and start to explain what it is in the juice when he asks me, "and I'm supposed to just believe you?" This irked me, why did he have to be so rude? I sure wasn't trying to be. He eventually just asks me to leave, so I pay my tab and sit on the bench across the street to finish my coffee. Not sure if I will be taking my business there anymore.
A second time was on campus. Before I ever vaped inside, I talked with campus security to make sure it was ok. They asked me to show them my mod and what it "produces" (the vapor cloud). They said I could, under their own discretion. During a break from one of my classes, I stepped in the hall to have a vape, having a conversation with one of my buddies. A professor walks out of a classroom, does a double take, and tells me I can't smoke in here. I tell him that its not smoking, just vapor, and that I had checked with security to make sure it was ok. He simply replied, "look, I don't make the rules and I'll call campus security to make sure...yadayada." I stopped and went back to class.
Tonight, in a nearly empty building, I had a night class. Again, on break, my teacher asks me to take it outside. Ok, ok, I need to vape outside (or in a secluded staircase). But then she said that it contained formaldehyde. Huh? I don't even bother with that.
In conclusion, I now only vape outside where it isn't crowded. Winter is coming and I'm not looking forward to it. Luckily, I can vape inside my work building and found a coffee shop that has no problem with it.
Am I being rude or irrational here? I try to always make sure no one has a problem with my vaping before I do it inside, but someone always seems to have issues.
Alright, excessively long vent over.:oops:

STEALTH VAPING IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!
Get in the habit of doing it every time you're in public... soon enough you'll master it to the point that no one knows you're doing anything at all... Even someone sitting right beside you in a theater or on a plane.

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
STEALTH VAPING IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!
Get in the habit of doing it every time you're in public... soon enough you'll master it to the point that no one knows you're doing anything at all... Even someone sitting right beside you in a theater or on a plane.

agreed. i vape at my desk at work all the time and nobody's noticed. and, if at a restaurant or bar that has a problem with it you can always go vape in the bathroom stall; it's not an elegant option but it beats freezing your but off in winter and looking like a cigarette addicted idiot.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
I do understand your situation OP.

It has been suggested to carry around a vender business card that says Electronic Cigarette on it. If you carry spare liquid, use a labeled bottle, and one that doesn't look homemade. I have recently found out that our gear may appear similar at first glance, but not so for anyone versed in the other practices.

I'm not so versed and we don't discuss these activities at all on ECF.

I've never been so accused and I've vaped in outdoor cafe's several times and have introduced several to e-cigs by doing so. Though I do sealth vape some, I believe it could actually be more suspect.

Last edited:

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I have to agree with the stealth advocates. The decades-long media persecution of smokers has been very effective, and has empowered every busybody and overly-aggressive control freak a politically correct outlet to exercise their need to dominate ...

As the number of smokers diminishes, this behavior must be transferred to another group, and that same media has already provided the disinformation and inflammatory rhetoric to fuel yet another witch hunt, this time against vaping ...

My barber recently told me a story, that he and his roomate walked to the far end of a public parking lot to smoke. A woman with a van full of children saw them from a driveway several hundred yards away, She passed open parking spaces to speed toward them, stopped and cursed at them for endangering the health of her kids (when SHE was the one who had transported them into proximity with the "second hand smoke"). Her husband got into the act, and made a pretense of calling for law enforcement on his cell ...

An ugly scene repeated countless times in various locales ...

Had the victims been vaping instead of smoking, its possible that the additional accusation of using an illegal substance might have escalated the drama ...

I stealth vape. The public will educate themselves about vaping, or not ...

I'm grateful to those who risk unpleasantness and potential mayhem in their efforts to overcome a generation of artificially created hatred and loathing toward smokers, but I have little hope that any attempt will change the thinking of those who NEED to attack, to feel better about themselves by villifying another ...

I'm not worried about the well-mannered folks who go about their business and consider it rude and unacceptable to publicly question the harmless actions of strangers. But the "brittle people" will always be with us, and gather the most attention ...

What they don't see can't incite them ...

legaldisaster

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2013
Maryland
To be honest, I used to stealth vape, now I just got about my business, a vape here and there, whatever. If somebody says anything to me I just tell them it's an electronic cigarette and go about my way. Now if I'm at some sort of establishment, I'm courteous enough to run to the bathroom to take a few vapes, or even outside! Just doing what I gotta do to keep people from getting the wrong idea from e-cigs.

Crazyinariz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
Tempe, AZ
This may seem over the top, but imho, telling people to stealth vape so is like telling blacks in the early 60's to just sit in the back of the bus and not to rock the boat, or like telling gay/lesbians to not hold hands or be affectionate in public because it might make someone uncomfortable. Whatever you do, don't try and change anything, just keep your head down and don't make waves.

As long as it's not against the establishments policy I'll vape tall and proud. So far, in my experiences, I've been told I can't vape in very few places. Do I get funny looks in walking down the aisle of my grocery store vaping my Vamo? Yup. But in the 13 months I've been vaping nobody's ever told me not to. Do people give me sideways glances and looks when I'm waiting to buy popcorn at my local theatre while vaping? They sure do. But nobody's ever told me I can't. And if they did I'd let them know that there are plenty of other grocery stores, movie theatres, bars and restaurants as I walked out and took my business to their competition.

Stealth vaping, to me, is saying you know you're doing something wrong/breaking the rules.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I'm pretty open, but I do stealth in some situations. If I'm at the theater, I think it would be rude to put out a big cloud of vapor, so I'll stealth. I've vaped at the Perot Science Museum every time I've been there (I have a membership, and I go fairly often) , but it is invariably full of kids, so I stealth to keep from dealing with situations based around "Hey mom, what's he doing" when mom has no idea.

Abbell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Kansas City, MO
This may seem over the top, but imho, telling people to stealth vape so is like telling blacks in the early 60's to just sit in the back of the bus and not to rock the boat, or like telling gay/lesbians to not hold hands or be affectionate in public because it might make someone uncomfortable. Whatever you do, don't try and change anything, just keep your head down and don't make waves.

As long as it's not against the establishments policy I'll vape tall and proud. So far, in my experiences, I've been told I can't vape in very few places. Do I get funny looks in walking down the aisle of my grocery store vaping my Vamo? Yup. But in the 13 months I've been vaping nobody's ever told me not to. Do people give me sideways glances and looks when I'm waiting to buy popcorn at my local theatre while vaping? They sure do. But nobody's ever told me I can't. And if they did I'd let them know that there are plenty of other grocery stores, movie theatres, bars and restaurants as I walked out and took my business to their competition.

Stealth vaping, to me, is saying you know you're doing something wrong/breaking the rules.

13 months ago is as good as 13 years ago with regard to public exposure to vaping. I respect your point totally. I don't really disagree, but I also understand trends. It becomes a fine line to walk calling vaping a civil rights issue in public places. People as individuals may not be concerned, but people en-mass are idiots. The majority is often controlled by the vocal minority and opinions can be swayed easily.

It takes little... I still hear quotes from poor studies from years ago when people talk about vaping. I can talk till I am blue explaining all the studies that show it is safe and they still think it is anti-freeze.

Ignorance is bliss and people like to be happy

Vapeman12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Georgia
I'm really convinced of this, at least where I live.
Classes started last week and already I have had a dozen people asking me if I was smoking illegal drugs. Some even asking to share with them. I educated them, but they immediately get turned off.
Besides that, I have been given a hard time on multiple occasions.
I walk into my favorite local coffee shop and ask them if they allow electronic cigarettes. They pause, and say I have to take it outside on the patio. No big deal, its a beautiful day outside. I sit outside enjoying my vape, coffee, meal, and a good book. All of a sudden the owner (possibly a manager) starts telling me that I can't have "that" on the premises, much less smoke it. I ask him what he thought it was, and he said it was for a specific illegal substance. I tell him no and what it was, and start to explain what it is in the juice when he asks me, "and I'm supposed to just believe you?" This irked me, why did he have to be so rude? I sure wasn't trying to be. He eventually just asks me to leave, so I pay my tab and sit on the bench across the street to finish my coffee. Not sure if I will be taking my business there anymore.
A second time was on campus. Before I ever vaped inside, I talked with campus security to make sure it was ok. They asked me to show them my mod and what it "produces" (the vapor cloud). They said I could, under their own discretion. During a break from one of my classes, I stepped in the hall to have a vape, having a conversation with one of my buddies. A professor walks out of a classroom, does a double take, and tells me I can't smoke in here. I tell him that its not smoking, just vapor, and that I had checked with security to make sure it was ok. He simply replied, "look, I don't make the rules and I'll call campus security to make sure...yadayada." I stopped and went back to class.
Tonight, in a nearly empty building, I had a night class. Again, on break, my teacher asks me to take it outside. Ok, ok, I need to vape outside (or in a secluded staircase). But then she said that it contained formaldehyde. Huh? I don't even bother with that.
In conclusion, I now only vape outside where it isn't crowded. Winter is coming and I'm not looking forward to it. Luckily, I can vape inside my work building and found a coffee shop that has no problem with it.
Am I being rude or irrational here? I try to always make sure no one has a problem with my vaping before I do it inside, but someone always seems to have issues.
Alright, excessively long vent over.:oops:

does your school have a No smoking or no Tobacco policy the school i go to does, signs are everywhere, I have left my stuff in the car, but thought about maybe taking a vape in the bathroom but not sure if a teacher walked in or even another student what they would say. First thing i would say would be do you smell smoke? and ask what they did smell, Strawberry's or what kinda sweet smell lol, I only vape to not eat but at school I do get hungry(no nicotine for me) it would be nice to take a few vapes during school

E Money

Aug 30, 2013
Boise, ID
I really only vape in my truck, at home or when I go to bars. In my area there are quite a few b&m's opening up and the large college student population makes it more the norm.

If I did choose to vape in a movie theater or what have you, I'd just use my kgo and stealth vape. No one seems to bat an eye if no vapor is being exhaled.

Although, I do love to educate people on the subject and love converting tobacco users to the wonderful world of vaping.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I will not "stealth vape". I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm not doing anything illegal. If I'm in a bar/restaurant/business, I will take out my PV and say "Hey, mind if I use this in here?" I have yet to be told no. I am lucky to live in an area where vaping has blown up (SW Florida), so I understand that may not be the experience everywhere, but if someone were to tell me no, fair enough, it's your business, now I will take my money elsewhere. No big deal, no rudeness, no confrontation. There are plenty of bars and restaurants here that DO allow it, and I will go to one of those. I don't vape in retail establishments for the most part, simply not in there long enough for it to be an issue, usually. When out and about and vaping, if I get a weird look, I smile and nod in return and keep vaping. If they ask a question about it, I'll answer, explain what it is and how long it has kept me cigarette free. If they still have an issue, it is THEIR issue. Last time I checked, this is still the good ole U.S. of A., and as of right now what I'm doing is perfectly legal, and I will not be made to feel as if I have to hide by other people's ignorance. Don't want to listen? Threaten to call the cops because you think it's illegal? Go ahead, my friend. It's not. I won't be a jerk about it, but I won't be intimidated, either. Vape proud. Don't vape obnoxious, that really WILL be counterproductive, but please don't let them scare you into stealthing either. And if someone doesn't want you vaping in their place of business, don't stealth there either, that REALLY won't help things. It's their business. If you don't like the way they conduct it, spend your money elsewhere. Hit 'em where it hurts. In the pocketbook.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com

Don't get me wrong...
I openly vape in public all the time... When I'm someplace where I know it's "Okay" to do so...

However, when I'm someplace that it's questionable, or "Not allowed" I stealth vape!
I advise people to stealth vape (and even teach the double inhale technique to smokers) till it becomes second nature because, like any other skill, it takes practice to master.

I've converted more than a few smokers to PVs because of stealth vapint and showing how they can get their nic fix without standing in the texas heat, or winter rain...

I vape everywhere I go, and I don't care whether it's allowed or not. I'm going to vape.
I'm just not going to be all in your face about it...

I'll leave the advocacy to those with better skills in that ares than I.

I vape for my own personal pleasure, and I actively seek to convert smokers!

If I'm out and see a group of people smoking I'll go over and just start vaping with them. I don't preach, I just say hi, and quietly listen to the conversation and vape... Eventually one of them will ask about my PV. Usually it's a fistpack, though lately it's more likely to be my SVD or MVP v2, but always a PV that looks nothing like a pipe or cigarette...

Once THEY initiate the conversation I tell them about my PV, and the questions start to flow... Later, as the conversation starts to ebb, or as they're finishing up their smokes, I'll whip out an eGo 450 with a small tank on it, and show them how easy it is to palm, and I'll teach stealth vaping and show them how it's possible for them to get their fix without leaving their desk, or work area... I emphasize how my productivity increased, and how my boss stopped riding my ... so much...

Following this "Grand Finale" I hand out business cards to anyone interested...

I've been doing this, or some variation of it, since long before I ever started working for an e-cig vendor.

We all contribute to the cause in our own way, even if it's simply by switching to PVs and giving up the analogs, which is contributing to my cause by making 1 less smoker in the world.

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
vaping has picked up a lot in my area. Kind of in a trendy-ish way though to be honest though. I always ask first before vaping in doors and have not yet had a bad reaction other than the stinky face from non smokers walking by me vaping in front of stores (out of the way of course). Just dont be a militant d-bag and as time goes on people in your area will become less ignorant. You cant really blame people for being ignorant to vaping as its not exactly mainstream...yet.

What militant vapers seem to disregard is: regardless of what is in ejuice is harmful or not... or the fact that its not smoke, its still a puff of vapor that came from inside your lungs/mouth. Even I personally think its gross when someone blows vapor in my face (some people more-so). It does have a scent to it and does carry trace amounts of foreign chemicals that can and will be inhaled by people within your vicinity.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
If your a closet something, then something must be doing something wrong or taboo.
Vape aloud, and rejoice, for you have quit smoking with the help of these devices. Just use it like anything else that is precious to you.
If we don't - the enemy will gain their support... We do have the power and voices to win this cause. Just DO IT.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
<...snip...>

What militant vapers seem to disregard is: regardless of what is in ejuice is harmful or not... or the fact that its not smoke, its still a puff of vapor that came from inside your lungs/mouth. Even I personally think its gross when someone blows vapor in my face (some people more-so). It does have a scent to it and does carry trace amounts of foreign chemicals that can and will be inhaled by people within your vicinity.

If your a closet something, then something must be doing something wrong or taboo.
Vape aloud, and rejoice, for you have quit smoking with the help of these devices. Just use it like anything else that is precious to you.
If we don't - the enemy will gain their support... We do have the power and voices to win this cause. Just DO IT.

I'm not in any way militant, I'm stealthy, and I don't blow vapor in peoples faces regardless of whether I'm being stealthy or not...

As for Wrong or Taboo...

I don't give a flying <expletive deleted> for taboo, and I have my own, fully functional, moral compass that lets me decide what's right or wrong Thank you very much!

I, long ago, chose to make my own decisions as to what's right or wrong rather than sit back and allow the ignorant, the intentionally obtuse, and worst of all the profiteers to make those decisions for me. And I do so with the full understanding of the consequences of my actions, and the willingness to take responsibility for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread