Pulse squonk mod from Tony B & Vandy Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rathamar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Mound - Minnesota, USA
The button and the locking mechanism put me off this mod. I can see it is going to be a popular one though.

I agree that the locking mechanism could have been done better, something like the Athena mod has so you do not need to pull the door off to lock and unlock it.

Its a minor issue for me as I have a few Squonks that do not have any locking mechanism so its better than none.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
On the vaping Biker's live show, Dean did a build of the Drop RDA on the Pulse. He wasn't a big fan of the button feel -- called it "spongy." The video below is indexed to when he talks about it. But overall, he had a lot of positive impressions. It's not a review -- it was the first time he used it and it was a live show.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Please pardon my ignorance on this as I'm somewhat new to vaping and am still trying to figure out mec

Please forgive my ignorance in advance but what is everyone's concern with the switch on the Pulse mod? I've been considering one to replace my Dripbox 160. I love squonking but I want something smaller and I have been doing a lot of research on mechs over the past few weeks and I think I have pretty good grasp on battery safety and how to build safely. What am I missing when it comes to the switch on the Pulse? Btw, if you folks can recommend a better way for me to begin with mechs please advise.

The full current drawn by the atomizer runs through the switch contacts on the Pulse. That is very unusual in a mechanical mod of this type. Very often the switch is just a button that pushes a heavy copper contact that is external to the switch - the switch is purely mechanical, not part of the circuit, and carries none of the current. Not so with the Pulse. The switch will have to be very sturdy to withstand the current demands without burning the contacts. Or the current may have to be limited to something less than many other mechanical squonkers like the Armageddon, Boxer, and Frankenskull mods.

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Interesting...He shows the Athena having slightly more voltage drop.
    upload_2017-10-21_20-56-44.png

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 9, 2010
    Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
    Slightly squeezing the off switch outer contacts makes sense, is a trivial tweak.

Personally I look at having an off switch as a plus, but something I would rarely use. My present all day setup is a yiloong predator mech squonker, on a lanyard; no off switch, but after converting to 20700 operation it's simply been rock solid.

My grey pulse bf has shipped, I'm looking forward to it [emoji5]

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 30, 2017
    Indiana
    • Deleted by classwife
    • Reason: Language not appropriate for ECF
    Status
    Not open for further replies.