Purple Vapcell completely dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narokz

Nov 25, 2018
Hey guys, i've got two purple 35A vapcells for like two months now and one of them completely died on me today after i used to test voltage drop on my mech on one of those little ohm readers. It doesn't fire and it doesn't even charge anymore, when i put it on my charger it simply doesnt recognizes any charge on it. It seems to be intact, no dents or tears on the wrap or on the body. Does anyone know what it could be?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
A garbage rewrap battery? Just guessing. What I CAN tell you though is what to do with it. You need to safely dispose of the thing. It’s got lithium in it which is a metal that burns at a tremendous rate when it comes into contact with water. You are made mostly of water. Bring it to a fire station or a batteries plus, or anywhere else where they collect lithium batteries for proper disposal.

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't know, it really caught me by surprise... ive been using the pair on a daily basis, on builds down to .1 and never had any problems with them, all of a sudden i test it on with the mech mod and it wont fire again (when i did the test it worked btw, only after putting my atty back on and trying to fire it stopped working)
Lithium batteries are delicate, highly engineered, and potentially explosive. They cannot be “fixed “ with anything approaching safety. The saying is when in doubt, throw it out”. It’s clear you want to save the battery, and are hoping someone can tell you how to do it. Here’s the thing:

your face is worth more than $6.

Get a new battery. Batteries that aren’t working perfectly are by definition unsafe.

No I don’t know exactly what happened to it. You might have shorted it, something inside might have melted, the list goes on. The only thing I can think of that comes with a safe outcome is if you put your battery in the charger upside down so it didn’t charge, AND you have sufficient safety features on you high end battery charger that would prevent it from simply destroying the battery.

Even THEN getting a new battery STILL is a pretty good idea.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    A garbage rewrap battery? Just guessing. What I CAN tell you though is what to do with it. You need to safely dispose of the thing. It’s got lithium in it which is a metal that burns at a tremendous rate when it comes into contact with water. You are made mostly of water. Bring it to a fire station or a batteries plus, or anywhere else where they collect lithium batteries for proper disposal.

There’s essentially no metallic lithium in rechargeable li-ion batteries. Only the non-rechargeable lithium-metal batteries have lithium in metallic form inside them.

Our rechargeable batteries do not react with water. In fact, aqueous fire-fighting solutions and water are the preferred methods to extinguish a li-ion battery fire since it can quickly lower the temperature of the batteries to below the thermal runaway threshold temperature.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I don't know, it really caught me by surprise... ive been using the pair on a daily basis, on builds down to .1 and never had any problems with them, all of a sudden i test it on with the mech mod and it wont fire again (when i did the test it worked btw, only after putting my atty back on and trying to fire it stopped working)

Whatever did it, you might have triggered an internal protection device called a CID. It acts as a one-time circuit breaker, permanently disconnecting the battery.

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Whatever did it, you might have triggered an internal protection device called a CID. It acts as a one-time circuit breaker, permanently disconnecting the battery.
    That can happen often, when high currents are withdrawn on the level of cut-off voltage. I saw already Li-Pol batteries end up with 0V and can be carried afterward to their graves :D

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Hey guys, i've got two purple 35A vapcells for like two months now and one of them completely died on me today after i used to test voltage drop on my mech on one of those little ohm readers. It doesn't fire and it doesn't even charge anymore, when i put it on my charger it simply doesnt recognizes any charge on it. It seems to be intact, no dents or tears on the wrap or on the body. Does anyone know what it could be?

Buy a Samsung, Sony, or LG cell for replacement if you can in Brazil. Check out Mooch's battery table here on ECF for good choices.

18650 Battery Ratings Table | E-Cigarette Forum

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well I am going to defer to Mooch's expertise here as far as an explanation. I will say, if you aren't buying from the big three and a known legit seller, you have no idea what you have. Literally. Scratch and sniff codes aren't enough.

I realize that isn't always possible in every situation, but if you can get safer batteries, you should. At least, safer in the sense that you are doing all you can to ensure that you are getting a non-rewrapped battery.

It can be a sort of narrow window to be frank, I wouldn't know where to tell you to buy from because I am not in Brazil, but maybe someone with that knowledge will come along for you.

I think your battery is now unsafe for use though, there's kind of no getting around that. You don't want to "refresh" dead batteries, no matter the claims and abilities of certain chargers .You just don't.

Sorry to hear about it.

Anna

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    That can happen often, when high currents are withdrawn on the level of cut-off voltage. I saw already Li-Pol batteries end up with 0V and can be carried afterward to their graves :D

No CID’s in pouch LiPo’s though. They’re just damaged a lot easier. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread