The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Dear Guest, 

ECF will be down for an extended period Tuesday 25th January from 6am central / 7am Eastern. 

This is due to a server migration. With any luck we'll by open by lunchtime. Thanks in advance for your patience :)

@low_tar_neil

Dismiss Notice

Qestions about seed steeping

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by IDJoel, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    This is an open question to anyone who might be able to shed some light on why this works.

For those that may be reading this, and are not familiar with the term; seed steeping is the practice of adding a fresh batch (of the same recipe) to approximately 10-15% of a previously fully steeped batch with the apparent benefit of accelerated steeping of the new mix.

In @dannyv45 's blog; he gives an example, from personal experience, that reduces a particular recipe from a normal 5 weeks required steeping to a mere 2-3 days:
    Everything you wanted to know about steeping and then some. | E-Cigarette Forum

Danny is not alone in finding benefit from this technique. I have seen multiple DIYers, on multiple forums, who have also recommended it.

My inquiry is why does this work? I am NOT trying to debate whether it works (and I don't desire this thread to turn in to that). I am more interested in what chemical/physical process(es) is/are happening that makes this work. I understand the biological benefit in a brewing application (particularly with yeast propagation) but, for the life of me, I don't understand how this accelerates a bonding and blending process.

Can anyone help me understand what is happening?

Secondarily, and perhaps it will be answered by the primary question, why does this seem to work better for some recipes than others (those that require extended steeping. I think it is fairly obvious that shake-n-vapes, and those requiring only a few days, will gain little/no benefit)?

• Like Like x 3
  2. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    I just do it so I don't run out, though, it seems like a good idea.

I just heard of the term after I've been doing it, so that's a plus.

Next...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Adam harris

Adam harris Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2015
    North Carolina
    Interesting. I will have to try this...so 10% of 30ml would be 3ml of juice..

4. IDJoel

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Bump...
    Still hoping someone can explain this to me (what is happening and WHY it works?).

5. jambi

jambi Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 20, 2014
    SoCal
    I know it works and don't know why either. What I have found is that if you keep doing it in the same bottle multiple times, and this includes just reusing a bottle that's mostly empty except for residue, after awhile it actually becomes unpleasant. Can't describe exactly what kind of unpleasant, but it's along the lines of metallic, like when you use too much of a highly concentrated flavoring like SC/Flavora.

Really, it might just be my imagination, but I wash my bottles after three remixes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hoosier

Hoosier Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Indiana
    What happens when you introduce entropy into an ordered system?

• Like Like x 3
  7. ceeceeisme

ceeceeisme Ultra Member ECF Veteran

By the laws of thermodynamics, it accelerates the deterioration of surrounding particles :) Thus, the reason seed steeping/aging works so well.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Adam harris

Adam harris Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2015
    North Carolina

Maybe the plastic is deteriorating.

9. SteveS45

SteveS45 Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    I gave up using plastic long ago and only use glass even for the 3ML bottle I take along for an emergency refill!

10. IDJoel

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Thank you @Hoosier & @ceeceeisme
    That's finally an explanation I can kinda/sorta understand (high school physics was several decades ago!). :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.