Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
This is an open question to anyone who might be able to shed some light on why this works.

For those that may be reading this, and are not familiar with the term; seed steeping is the practice of adding a fresh batch (of the same recipe) to approximately 10-15% of a previously fully steeped batch with the apparent benefit of accelerated steeping of the new mix.

In @dannyv45 's blog; he gives an example, from personal experience, that reduces a particular recipe from a normal 5 weeks required steeping to a mere 2-3 days:
Everything you wanted to know about steeping and then some. | E-Cigarette Forum

Danny is not alone in finding benefit from this technique. I have seen multiple DIYers, on multiple forums, who have also recommended it.

My inquiry is why does this work? I am NOT trying to debate whether it works (and I don't desire this thread to turn in to that). I am more interested in what chemical/physical process(es) is/are happening that makes this work. I understand the biological benefit in a brewing application (particularly with yeast propagation) but, for the life of me, I don't understand how this accelerates a bonding and blending process.

Can anyone help me understand what is happening?

Secondarily, and perhaps it will be answered by the primary question, why does this seem to work better for some recipes than others (those that require extended steeping. I think it is fairly obvious that shake-n-vapes, and those requiring only a few days, will gain little/no benefit)?

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I know it works and don't know why either. What I have found is that if you keep doing it in the same bottle multiple times, and this includes just reusing a bottle that's mostly empty except for residue, after awhile it actually becomes unpleasant. Can't describe exactly what kind of unpleasant, but it's along the lines of metallic, like when you use too much of a highly concentrated flavoring like SC/Flavora.

Really, it might just be my imagination, but I wash my bottles after three remixes.

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
I know it works and don't know why either. What I have found is that if you keep doing it in the same bottle multiple times, and this includes just reusing a bottle that's mostly empty except for residue, after awhile it actually becomes unpleasant. Can't describe exactly what kind of unpleasant, but it's along the lines of metallic, like when you use too much of a highly concentrated flavoring like SC/Flavora.

Really, it might just be my imagination, but I wash my bottles after three remixes.

Maybe the plastic is deteriorating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread