question about coils resistance dropping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapevapeguy

Nov 14, 2018
I bought a pack of 10 alien coils. In my build deck the single coils register .32 as listed on the sticker. When I put both coils in, they register anywhere from .12-.17. Once I trim the legs they go down to .06-.07.

Is cutting the legs supposed to lower the resistance?

Should I be buying higher resistance coils if I'm aiming for .13-.16?

I'm using an avid gyre tube, drop RDA, sony vtc5a 18650 btw.

Currently, I just used some other coils I had as I didn't want to vape at .06... but my only coils left are at .11. I've yet to pulse it as I was under the impression .12 was the lowest I could go using ohm's calculator. Would it be okay to vape at .11 (I don't chain vape, just 3-5 second hits every few minutes) or should I scrap this build and wait for new aliens?

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
I don't mean to be a jackass but come on... You're using a mech, and asking about coil resistance difference between one and two coils? Come on... You're playing a dangerous game.

There is no reason for your resistance to go down once you cut the leads. You're supposed to put your coils in the deck securely then cut the leads. The coils will not move and thus have the same resistance as before. The length won't change or anything. Something is not right.

Another concern of mine is that your cut leads would touch the top cap of your RDA and cause a short and lead to all types of problems.

I just saw your post about you don't know where a short could be. Have you checked the top cap? I have the solution to increase the resistance, but I am not going to tell you. I highly advise you not to be playing with that.

vapevapeguy

Nov 14, 2018
First off, I didn't ask a question about resistance dropping due to dual coils. If I'm trying to run a build around .14-.16, purchasing .32 coils should get me there. I usually run my builds at .16-.17 with no issue. I understand how resistance halves.

Next, maybe I should make a youtube video of the build. I'm not an idiot when it comes to building, I've been building for a while using an ohm's calculator and never ran across this issue until today.

The issue is with the resistance dropping when cutting the leads. The aliens came with super long leads. When I put them in the drop, and secure them, the coils are too tall, with individual coils ranging from .27-.32. When I pull them out and cut the leads and secure them back, the resistance has dropped, when I cut the leads for the final time after getting positioning correct, the resistance is dropping further.

Could this be an issue with my build deck?

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
First off, I didn't ask a question about resistance dropping due to dual coils. If I'm trying to run a build around .14-.16, purchasing .32 coils should get me there. I usually run my builds at .16-.17 with no issue. I understand how resistance halves.

Next, maybe I should make a youtube video of the build. I'm not an idiot when it comes to building, I've been building for a while using an ohm's calculator and never ran across this issue until today.

The issue is with the resistance dropping when cutting the leads. The aliens came with super long leads. When I put them in the drop, and secure them, the coils are too tall, with individual coils ranging from .27-.32. When I pull them out and cut the leads and secure them back, the resistance has dropped, when I cut the leads for the final time after getting positioning correct, the resistance is dropping further.

Could this be an issue with my build deck?
How did you measure the resistance of 0.27 - 0.32 ohms if they are too long for the Drop?

vapevapeguy

Nov 14, 2018
By setting them like normal, and securing them in place. The coils were just super tall. Too tall to use. Since my first set was .06 I figured I'd check the resistance like that knowing they were too tall.

I also normally build for my sanyo ncr20700a 30a in a broadwell. I'm used to switching between the sanyo and the sony in a battery sleeve, and .16-.17 builds didn't seem to low for the sony, so I was trying to go a little lower while using my avid gyre. I guess I'll go back to the broadwell/sanyo until I get new aliens.

I still have no idea why they are registering so low. Using some basic 3mm 22ga coils instead of the aliens on the same build.deck registers .11, but when I put the drop on my regulated target mini mod, or my old regulated smok, both devices say it's at .14... I really don't understand what's going on with this tonight.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
it sounds like, you're putting them in the deck and measuring the resistance which comes out to about 0.30 ohms. They are too tall, so you cut them. Then whath happens? They go farther in to the deck and you clamp them again. Is the clamp clamping down the same part of the wire as before? No, thus the wire is shorter and the resistance will increase.

If possible, I would just add more wraps. That would increase the resistance. But it would also increase ramp up time.

• Agree
Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

vapevapeguy

Nov 14, 2018
So shorter leads do cause a resistance drop when the screws are closer to the coils. thank you.

I added a wrap and it only rose the resistance to .09.

20181113-222255.jpg

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
So shorter leads do cause a resistance drop when the screws are closer to the coils. thank you.

I added a wrap and it only rose the resistance to .09.

20181113-222255.jpg
If I was you, I'd just install a single coil in there. Using the positive end of one terminal and the negative end of the terminal on the other side. You could add more wraps to that too. It will have a quicker ramp-up time than your dual coil. Try it out, you might be surprised. I am vaping more single coils now. It is just more efficient.

Something like this.
7qm5wmgaeoi11.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: keelalagirl55

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
I added 2 wraps, and after a lot of tinkering, got a pair to register at .20 on the build deck, the smok and target both satit's at .21. I think I'm satisfied now. I can use this with the sony and sanyo np.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Glad everything worked out for you. Now I have a question for you. Can you explain your logic on the battery and ohms? You are you using a 25A battery. 0.13 - 0.16 ohm coil will draw 32A - 26A. This clearly exceeds the battery rating. Am I missing something here?

vapevapeguy

Nov 14, 2018
I mainly use the sanyo which is 30A. My builds are generally at .16-.17. I haven't had issues with the way I vape. I was planning on the lower build for the broadwell/sanyo with the sony being a backup battery and assumed the sony could handle it with small hits and not chain vaping. There's a local vape shop I frequent and the owner has sub ohm builds regularly below .10 on sony's, he advised that it could work as long as I was careful. So I wanted to try it in the avid as well.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
I mainly use the sanyo which is 30A. My builds are generally at .16-.17. I haven't had issues with the way I vape. I was planning on the lower build for the broadwell/sanyo with the sony being a backup battery and assumed the sony could handle it with small hits and not chain vaping. There's a local vape shop I frequent and the owner has sub ohm builds regularly below .10 on sony's, he advised that it could work as long as I was careful. So I wanted to try it in the avid as well.
I do agree that you have to be careful and it is doable. But, I just see it as an unnecessary risk. There are many ways to vape. Big coils like those are slow to ramp up. But once you're up and going they do produce a lot of vapor. You can easily do something like a series build. A lot of wraps which create a lot of surface area and increase the resistance. On a regulated device, you can hit 140+ watts without an issue.

Something like this build produces a ton of vapor and a very quick ramp up. It is flat ribbon wire. I don't mess with bulky builds anymore. I could have also made like a 4.0 or 4.5mm inner diameter which would just create a higher resistance and more surface area. This build is on a Drop which is 24mm. Imagine if I had a 28mm deck.
xA-uEuCs5oJO-eEybZ2vWloHg7Lc_4BSbbencb9C1wNxV8XprqbIK9H73IPdOFnR9dC6llXzh8sOPHXgOhZzZupKCnJ2XFsnMASrBnBGwX6gXFUP3LIkMsjM7HPvMfoeqFUNQyei0wrwG_9XR37HFIyBKxRu6WpBTkz4TUOvfj_CzGDSsEpqzFLQaQDpc3peaVXRQWoWoJ9xrU54CYbtVYv-wVYalxX70sGt6NnbSucgw47FWdaTr-pTkHva4WEyEg0OJjdtC5YDnJPSYMzp8SbN7kXDtXPZ_m8RyVvwVDnngqRlLYW6pMIUK5_2R2LHsPuo-pZ7IY-hBYD6jSxJ5x0OdWEOw3nmexQamH6iFjt70DY0beBGJCX3Ib5apt4A0Y07ZMA7RCPYKPOg0ZCCt7Gt6c6CyCa9QX1mr8r_IuhxEjts0M0dv7uCVssovkEmP1LJ8hJ2YS-gTvpVm7i_ozW_jE6bntTGQGLk4IM3ZAe6WtQ_MImXCaBeNz9i9FzAs31ABYImu9zHlC708ux6ssWGrXZDL4JAL5NPfEKySWrqlgjFvVHC1n2TsvdS3AHsIZNpcpNcieGJlqlQocqhxAqW8kNaJake3aGu1ZQvqSAeE5MJ35ySoeUxE9F7cGrWO_9-FIFQNE-2U5AXqRX9ftls-A=w669-h891-no

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,

What nicotine level are you using on a build of .1Ω?

Cheers
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread