question about coils resistance dropping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
First off, I didn't ask a question about resistance dropping due to dual coils. If I'm trying to run a build around .14-.16, purchasing .32 coils should get me there. I usually run my builds at .16-.17 with no issue. I understand how resistance halves.

Next, maybe I should make a youtube video of the build. I'm not an idiot when it comes to building, I've been building for a while using an ohm's calculator and never ran across this issue until today.

The issue is with the resistance dropping when cutting the leads. The aliens came with super long leads. When I put them in the drop, and secure them, the coils are too tall, with individual coils ranging from .27-.32. When I pull them out and cut the leads and secure them back, the resistance has dropped, when I cut the leads for the final time after getting positioning correct, the resistance is dropping further.

Could this be an issue with my build deck?
Sounds like incorrectly made coils then. The only live metal should be the core and only between the leads. This doesn’t seem to be the case

• Agree
Reactions: DaveP

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Some manufacturers state the resistance of their coils without counting the legs, others including them.
So if a company does the latter and the coil has very long legs, there might be a quite noticeable difference in resistance after trimming the leads.
In the end it's much easier to wrap your own coils instead of relying on prebuilts if you target a specific resistance, because you can tailor the coils to your needs not only by wrap count but also by inner diameter. And it's far cheaper as well.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Can you explain your logic on the battery and ohms? You are you using a 25A battery. 0.13 - 0.16 ohm coil will draw 32A - 26A. This clearly exceeds the battery rating. Am I missing something here?
There's a local vape shop I frequent and the owner has sub ohm builds regularly below .10 on sony's, he advised that it could work as long as I was careful.
517d4ff2e7571.jpeg

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Exceeding the amplimit of a cell has a few drawbacks.
Aside from the obvious safety issues, you have to deal with the actual voltage sag of the cell. The lower you build, the greater the sag which in the end might even result in a weaker vape in comparison to higher resistances.
On top of that the cell drains a lot faster at low ohms, so you need to change it much more often.

vapevapeguy

Nov 14, 2018
I do agree that you have to be careful and it is doable. But, I just see it as an unnecessary risk. There are many ways to vape. Big coils like those are slow to ramp up. But once you're up and going they do produce a lot of vapor. You can easily do something like a series build. A lot of wraps which create a lot of surface area and increase the resistance. On a regulated device, you can hit 140+ watts without an issue.

Something like this build produces a ton of vapor and a very quick ramp up. It is flat ribbon wire. I don't mess with bulky builds anymore. I could have also made like a 4.0 or 4.5mm inner diameter which would just create a higher resistance and more surface area. This build is on a Drop which is 24mm. Imagine if I had a 28mm deck.
xA-uEuCs5oJO-eEybZ2vWloHg7Lc_4BSbbencb9C1wNxV8XprqbIK9H73IPdOFnR9dC6llXzh8sOPHXgOhZzZupKCnJ2XFsnMASrBnBGwX6gXFUP3LIkMsjM7HPvMfoeqFUNQyei0wrwG_9XR37HFIyBKxRu6WpBTkz4TUOvfj_CzGDSsEpqzFLQaQDpc3peaVXRQWoWoJ9xrU54CYbtVYv-wVYalxX70sGt6NnbSucgw47FWdaTr-pTkHva4WEyEg0OJjdtC5YDnJPSYMzp8SbN7kXDtXPZ_m8RyVvwVDnngqRlLYW6pMIUK5_2R2LHsPuo-pZ7IY-hBYD6jSxJ5x0OdWEOw3nmexQamH6iFjt70DY0beBGJCX3Ib5apt4A0Y07ZMA7RCPYKPOg0ZCCt7Gt6c6CyCa9QX1mr8r_IuhxEjts0M0dv7uCVssovkEmP1LJ8hJ2YS-gTvpVm7i_ozW_jE6bntTGQGLk4IM3ZAe6WtQ_MImXCaBeNz9i9FzAs31ABYImu9zHlC708ux6ssWGrXZDL4JAL5NPfEKySWrqlgjFvVHC1n2TsvdS3AHsIZNpcpNcieGJlqlQocqhxAqW8kNaJake3aGu1ZQvqSAeE5MJ35ySoeUxE9F7cGrWO_9-FIFQNE-2U5AXqRX9ftls-A=w669-h891-no

What resistance are your coils at and what battery are you using? Your build intrigues me, thanks for sharing.

Hi and welcome,

What nicotine level are you using on a build of .1Ω?

Cheers
I

3mg

Reactions: Izan

vapevapeguy

Nov 14, 2018
Exceeding the amplimit of a cell has a few drawbacks.
Aside from the obvious safety issues, you have to deal with the actual voltage sag of the cell. The lower you build, the greater the sag which in the end might even result in a weaker vape in comparison to higher resistances.
On top of that the cell drains a lot faster at low ohms, so you need to change it much more often.

Thanks for the info. My vape store guy brought up some of this. Ultimately I was trying to build for larger vape production. If I can do that with a safer build I'd much rather go that route.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Baditude

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
What resistance are your coils at and what battery are you using? Your build intrigues me, thanks for sharing.
I don't remember honestly. It was a while ago. I ran it through a coil calculator and it says 0.30 ohms. I also use stainless steel which has a lower resistance than something like Kanthal or Nichrome. That build comes out to 0.5 ohms with kanthal.

The batteries I am using are Samsung 30Q in series on a regulated device. They are 3000 mAh with an amp limit of 15. There are better batteries out there.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I mainly use the sanyo which is 30A. My builds are generally at .16-.17. I haven't had issues with the way I vape. I was planning on the lower build for the broadwell/sanyo with the sony being a backup battery and assumed the sony could handle it with small hits and not chain vaping. There's a local vape shop I frequent and the owner has sub ohm builds regularly below .10 on sony's, he advised that it could work as long as I was careful. So I wanted to try it in the avid as well.
You need to go to a different shop. That idiot is going to get someone hurt because he obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Advice taken. Online is cheaper anyway lol.

Any advice for a large vapor producing build using the sonys instead of the sanyo?
Pretty much all I use anymore are rectangle wire core clapton coils. They have great flavor and big clouds. I have found you can run them with lower wattage and get the same results as a fused clapton. A regular round wire spaced coil build with 24g wire will also give decent flavor with good clouds. For clouds it's going to be an airflow and coil placement thing. You don't need exotic coils for clouds and flavor really.

• Agree
Reactions: MMW

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
No. The CDR is not a hard limit. It's barely an estimation of how hard you can push a fresh cell continuously while still maintaining acceptable performance, temperature and cyclelife.
As long as you are 100% sure that all external safetyfeatures are intact and you keep a very close eye on the temperature, you can pulse them at higher amps.
Samsung and Sony clearly state that in their datasheets for a couple of cells
But running a cell above its CDR is still not advisable of course, because cellperformance and cyclelife decrease, while the risk of blowing your head off increases significantly.
But what's more important, the CDR decreases over time as the cell ages, so it might start with 25A and after a few cycles of hard abuse it might only be at 15A.
So if you want to push a cell past its CDR, do so at your own risk.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
Advice taken. Online is cheaper anyway lol.

Any advice for a large vapor producing build using the sonys instead of the sanyo?
Maximum surface area and maximum heat. Big coils are inefficient. For example, the top of the coil(that's not touching the wick) also needs to be heated. Wastes a lot of energy and doesn't really do anything.

Flat wire is best. If you're talking about the 25A batteries. You will need the fewest wraps as possible(if you want a quick ramp up) while staying within the safety limits of the battery. If It was me I would shoot for 23A.

Six wraps, dual-core around a 3mm diameter of flat ribbon wire comes out to about 17.6 ohms and uses 23.9A. BTW 316L Stainless Steel. Personally, I would use 7 wraps(more surface area) and safer. This comes out to 20.7A.

• Agree
Reactions: Don29palms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread