Question about DIY Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florence104

Aug 4, 2019
Hey

I have been making my own juice for about 1.5 years now. When ever I choose to buy a premium ejuice I get a super nice head rush that hits so quickly. When I make my own ejuice the head rush is weak and not that nice. I use 100% nic at 3%. Does anyone know the reason behind this, do I need to steep the juice more? Is the nicotine just not as good? Thanks:)

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hey

I have been making my own juice for about 1.5 years now. When ever I choose to buy a premium ejuice I get a super nice head rush that hits so quickly. When I make my own ejuice the head rush is weak and not that nice. I use 100% nic at 3%. Does anyone know the reason behind this, do I need to steep the juice more? Is the nicotine just not as good? Thanks:)

Welcome to ECF, Florence!

Obviously, the juice you are buying is much stronger in nic level than the juice you are mixing at home.

100% nic at 3% doesn't really tell us much (Pure nicotine is 1000mg/ml). That's 3mg for each milliliter of juice in the bottle. I'm assuming you have 100mg/ml nic base (10% mix) and use 3mg/ml of that nic base in your DIY juice mix. What does the label on your nicotine bottle say? What does the label say for nicotine level on the premixed juice that you buy?

3mg/ml nic strength is low, but that's also what I vape. It's going to be a weak mix compared to the nicotine that's in a tobacco cigarette. Most of those are in the 18mg to 24mg range. If you are trying to quit smoking the latter is where you probably need to be at first.

There's also a big difference between vaping mouth to lung (MTL) and direct to lung (DTL). Lots of DTL vapers use 6mg/ml nic in their juice, but they are vaping a lot more juice in the clouds they exhale. MTL vapers commonly use higher nic levels to achieve a mix that works.

Here's a DIY ejuice calculator that you can start with to determine the quantities of the ingredients you need to put into your DIY bottle. You can mix using a syringe or a dropper or you can buy a $25 electronic scale and mix by weight.

DIY E-liquid | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Go here for all the information you need to know to become a DIY ejuice mixer.
DIY E-Liquid

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
As Dave said, 100% is not the same as 100 mg/ml.

Most likely the store bought juice is a higher nic level, is salts ( don’t anybody @ me on this, some of us ‘feel’ salts differently than freebase. I do ) or perhaps your nic is old and less potent, or you’re not calculating correctly.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    The store juice I bought says 3mg for a 60 ml bottle. Does that mean its higher than 3% because its a 60 ml bottle?
    It's actually 3mg/ml, and a 60ml bottle of 3 mg/ml will have the same amount of nic as a 10 or 100ml bottle of e-juice.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Its actually 100mg vg based nicotine. The store juice I bought says 3mg for a 60 ml bottle. Does that mean its higher than 3% because its a 60 ml bottle? I use mouth to lung RDA at .2 ohms.

Percentage isn't used in DIY juice mixing because it can be confusing. To ensure understanding we use the milligrams per milliliter measurement to make sure everyone's on the same page. That's also the measurement that's commonly used by chemists and the people who make your ejuice. When we talk about 100mg nic it's also understood that it's 100 milligrams of nic per milliliter of base. We use scales for DIY that measure weight in milligrams and that makes the recipe work out correctly and it's easily understandable when a recipe is published on a forum.

If you use percentage as a reference you have to convert that to milligrams for each ingredient when you start a mix on a scale. Scales don't understand percentages, they understand milligrams so you'd have to convert it anyway. Extra steps can induce errors in the math.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Its actually 100mg vg based nicotine. The store juice I bought says 3mg for a 60 ml bottle. Does that mean its higher than 3% because its a 60 ml bottle? I use mouth to lung RDA at .2 ohms.

No, 3% is 3% regardless of bottle size. 3% equals 30 mg/ml though. When you mix, use a calculator and do not confuse the two.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread