The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Question about salt-based

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by Pod_Vaper, Dec 18, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Pod_Vaper

Pod_Vaper Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I've never tried salt ejuice before despite the number of pod devices I've tried. I've always vaped 3mg freebase, now using .8 ohm coils in my Zenith tanks at around 11.5-13W.

I'd like to continue to vape 3mg in my Zenith, but I want to use up all these spare pods I have collected and the 3mg has no taste whatsoever. If I try nic salt like recommended for pod devices, what would be a suitable mg? I can't even begin to imagine that I'd want to try a bottle over 12mg, would I? And I'm seeing 36 and 50mg seems to be the most popular options.

Thanks for helping me understand and not choke to death! :)

2. T0mmy1977

T0mmy1977 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    You can also use freebase in the pods at a higher nic level such as 6 mg. I use 6 mg freebase nic in my sub ohm tanks, RDAs, etc., and 12 mg freebase nic in my MTL tanks and it works beautifully.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pod_Vaper

Pod_Vaper Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Duh...I don't know why I didn't think of that T0mmy1977.

4. vaper1960

vaper1960 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    You don't need "salts" The main reason some might need them is for very high Nic. Many of the premades are also 50VG/50PG because it's thinner... I prefer 65 to 70 % VG for MTL tanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wheelie

wheelie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    I have Vaped for a long time. Last few years, 6mg at 42.5 watts on single coil rebuildables. Ordered a few mixes and they sent me a Vype epod for free and with 53mg nicsalt. I did buy a couple pods in 32mg nic salts which is better. I keep the tinny little thing in my cell phone case on my belt. Gives me piece of mind if my big vape breaks when I am out working I have a spare. I very seldom carry a second big vape in my truck any more. I just learned to take very little puffs off epod as it is my stealth vape when I don't want people to see. With small vapes, hold it in for 5 seconds and no vapor. Sporting events, malls, working on someone's furnace or fireplace. Saves me from going to my truck. Tonight I got my old mechanical mods out and old Kayfuns and setting them up with nicsalts. I bought 36mg as I notice with the higher nic I vape allot less. Guess what I am saying is the high nic salt is only used for them special times and not even daily use. CHEERS!

6. Jebbn

Jebbn Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Take all the following with a grain of salt. It really only seems to apply to me and doesnt seem to line up with others experience.

Ive been playing around with NS v FB for about a year trying to find comparative mg dose.
    I know everyone is different and I know NS and FB are absorbed differently.
    The only way I could think of finding a comparative dosage was to vape NS exclusively for 2 weeks to see how many mls I use in that time and then adjust dosage and repeat until I got to around the same ml consumption as FB.
    With FB I use 3 to 3.5mg usually and on average 3.6ml a day, this has been consistent for a long time now. I have nearly 2yrs of recorded consumption and dosage data. Im a bit geeky like that.
    For me it seems around 8mg to 10mg of NS is equivalent consumption as 3mg to 3.5mg of FB.
    Using 3mg NS had my consumption increase quite substantially but never quite feeling satiated.
    Difference between 10mg NS and 3mg FB is that the 10mg NS kicks in quicker and maybe a bit harder. I take less draws with NS before I put the vape down but I return to the vape a lot sooner. Less time between sessions.
    Vaping 3mg FB takes longer to feel satiated but once I put the vape down I dont return to it for hours.
    I vape unflavoured and without any concession much prefer the taste of FB over NS. I also much prefer the way I feel using FB.

I know other people find NS and FB to be equivalent strength but for me it isnt if daily or weekly ml's and mg's are taken into consideration.

7. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Nic salts were primarily brought to the public attention by Juul as a means of delivering extremely high nicotine levels. They are in my opinion mostly a marketing fad. If you want to use a small device, and you want to use very high nicotine levels then they are apparently more palatable. I've not tried them myself.
    I don't really understand the chemistry, but my understanding is it's along the lines of the additives that BT add to cigarettes to increase the effectiveness of tobacco in delivering nicotine into the blood.

8. wheelie

wheelie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Nicsalts has added chemicals that naturally come in a tobacco plant. Nothing added in with it that is not already in the growing plant already. In the freebase nic that all of us people used all along those chemicals in nicsalt were removed to make the freebase nicotine more stable. At least that is my understanding of it. Freebase nicotine (what we have been using along) is more refined. CHEERS!

9. vaper1960

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I used to vape 12 mg FB (MTL) One day my subscription service sent 12 mg salts instead. That was fine... very mellow for sure. The main difference I noticed was maybe the salts came on faster but didn't last as long. I'm not into throat hit so never cared about that (if you do then FB it is) I guess, if I was into little pods, I might like the stronger salts, but currently moving on to restricted DL so not interested.

10. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    I vape nic salt in high mg. I'm vaping on a cheap disposable pod right now and its 60mg. I guess I have a high tolerance to nicotine as this strength dosen't do anything different to me than 6mg freebase with my dead rabbit. The difference is with the wattage. High mg salt is best with low power devices for sure. I wouldn't try vaping 60mg strength on a low resistance high wattage set up. I made a DIY once at 12mg salt and used it with that kind of set up. It was fairly harsh.

11. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    First, you say you use FB, but don't mention whether you DTL or MTL. My comments are based on MTL.

Keep in mind that your brain/body aren't just reliant on nic, but smoking/vaping/inhaling. For me, nic is a minor part of the equation. I do salts in my pods, and keep several on hand. But I mostly do an MTL rta. Pods are 25mg NS, rta's are 14mg FB. Even if I use NS, I need to take a hit just about as frequently as I do with the FB. The pods I use deliver less vapor than my rta, but I wouldn't say half as much. I definitely feel the salts quicker - there's no doubt they get in the bloodstream quicker. Below is a quote from a post I made on another thread explaining it, showing the speed of 2 different NS variations using blood plasma tests.

So really, there is no "equivalent." Depending on the devices you use, I'd try less than double what you use in an atty, and adjust from there. Maybe like my 20NS vs 14FB. But then again, Juul delivers a tiny bit of vapor, so 50mg isn't really crazy. But I also currently use Vladdin & Alto (25mg). Also, take into account that NS virtually removes throat hit (oddly, with NS I feel it more on exhale than inhale), so if (like me) you're dependent on that, you'd need a higher level NS.

12. vaper1960

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I got a small pod device (didn't order it... got it for free) Very restricted airflow and not much vapor, so I mixed some of my MTL juice with with some 48 mg nic (in PG... also to thin the juice) It's working great and with the limited vapor production, it's around 20 mg (freebase) Salt nic would be perfect for this but had to work with what I have. I'm not into "throat hit" at all, but yes. it has that (once again, salts would be better) With my DL RTA, I'm using 6 mg so it's all relative to amount of vapor and style of vaping (including airflow)

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.