• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Questions about Stainless Steel Mesh + Kanthal + Genesis-Type Rebuildables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whoopin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Borderlands
Hey guys! I'm new to this entire rebuildable stuff, and I've a Genesis-Type Repairable and I wanted to ask:

1) Let's say if I want to make a dual-coil, my idea was to squeeze 2 stainless steel mesh rolls into the hole, and then wrap 5 coils around each posts but on 2 different Kanthal wires. My theory is that, since there will be 2 connections on each post, the voltage passing through them will be halfed, but if I increase the voltage, there will be 2 same voltage passing through 2 stainless steel mesh = Dual Coil Rebuildables. Is that even possible?

2) Where can I get these mesh + wires locally? I tried using google, only managed to find some kanthal wire at kampong shop, but I can't find the mesh locally. (Also, if anyone has excess or aren't using these mesh, please PM me and sell them to me!)

3) How long do y'all actually use these mesh + wires till they wear out?\

4) Can I use those windproof lighter to oxidize the mesh?

Cheers, and thanks so much for the answers in advance :D

Last edited:

MC28

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2011
Singapore
Saw some fine mesh at Jln Besar recently..Didnt walk in to ask but i reckon they are those 400 Super Fine 25micron mesh from the Mesh Company..

And ya, cost to bring in relatively high..I ordered 3 pieces of A4 including shipping is like S$50+ abit..

For Kanthal wires, order from Ebay..Receive my 200ft or 61m Kanthal wire recently for S$18.66 total..

snooke_master

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
1) My theory is that, since there will be 2 connections on each post, the voltage passing through them will be halfed, but if I increase the voltage, there will be 2 same voltage passing through 2 stainless steel mesh = Dual Coil Rebuildables. Is that even possible?

If i didn't remember wrong... If each post ( + & - ) has two connections, then it's a parallel connection... So the potential difference between + & - posts are the same in each wire/connection... The one divided by two is the current...

Currynoah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The one at the main road or the one behind the main rd under one of the blocks near the sungei rd market?

AFAICR, The 1 under the block do large volume.... The 1 @ main road Jalan Besar does "per feet" basis. For further information, try asking the guy @ the shop under block... It's been months since I went there... I was there looking for self piercing saddle valve.

Last edited:

MC28

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2011
Singapore
AFAICR, The 1 under the block do large volume.... The 1 @ main road Jalan Besar does "per feet" basis. For further information, try asking the guy @ the shop under block... It's been months since I went there... I was there looking for self piercing saddle valve.

Great..Got time drop by purchase some for testing..

Whoopin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Borderlands
Thanks for the answers guys! :) I already purchased Kanthal wire from Syniche, and I'm gonna get a butane lighter from my mama shop later for some cleaning and oxidizing of what little mesh I've got at the moment. If you're bringing in mesh Syniche, do let me know :)

In the meanwhile, I think I'll head there during the weekends and check the place out and see the prices they quote; do y'all know roughly which stretch of Jalan Besar the shop is at? Or which street the place is nearer to? Thanks in advance again :)

MC28

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2011
Singapore
Should be this shop..Main street heading towards Sim Lim Tower, Town area..

WtwXY.jpg

Whoopin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Borderlands
I wish I can buy a rebuildable, but I dunno where to start :/..

Well, there are a couple of rebuildables online, not sure whether they interest you, but just get one and get the stuff that you need and test then out :D if you don't like them just trade or sell them off for something that you might like :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread