Quitting vaping/nicotine: My story

Status
Not open for further replies.

dg99

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hey folks, so I recently quit vaping and would like to share my story with fellow vapers, in hopes of helping folks think outside the box about their nicotine addictions. In summary, I have decided to pass my PV onwards to someone to help them quit smoking, and I have committed to quitting cold turkey. It all started a week ago in this thread, here's a quote for those who want to read it in full:

I'm happy to say I've been vaping for 2 years and it has been 100% successful in getting me off cigarettes, and it has given me the motivation to research just how brutal cigarettes are for my body and justify my choice to give them up. Thanks to vaping, I've been able to replace the enjoyment I got from cigarettes with a much healthier alternative, and for that I owe vaping and everyone on these forums who helped me over the years my unconditional gratitude. I've now reached a point where I'm re-evaluating my life and making changes, and one of the goals I have is to free myself of my nicotine dependency. I no longer want to have to vape to feel normal, or spend money on liquid and parts, I want to be free to live my life without having to worry about when the next time I can vape will be. Friday ends my first wave of midterms and I won't be too stressed for awhile, so it's going to be my d-day, cold turkey.

And now comes the reason for this thread, it would be awesome to be able to share vaping with someone truly in need of it to quit their smoking habit. Most of my friends who smoke have either quit, or have no desire to quit or switch to vaping. Do you live in the Vancouver area and have a friend or family member who is hooked on smoking and wants to or has tried to quit? If so, I'd like to donate my vaping goodies to you to give to that person in hopes it will change their life like it's changed mine. I've got 2 ego batteries, an LR 510 atty, an ego charger, and a drip tip. If you're interested, you can meet me on Friday between noon and 6 at UBC to pick them up. Please don't just take these for your collection, sure there's no way for me to know but I hope whoever picks it up will have a good heart and respect what I'm trying to do.

The only way to do this fairly is first come first serve, so the first person to send me a PM with a little story about the person they have in mind gets the goods Also, let me know what time you'll be coming by and I'll let you know where you can meet me. All the best to everyone, live well and happy vaping.

So, how did it go? I'm happy to say that today marks a week of being vape and nicotine free! It was a difficult week, but I'm feeling significantly better and am able to function normally again aside from the occasional urge to vape at my trigger times (like coming home from class, or during a study break), but these are no longer intense cravings. The thought of vaping crosses my mind and I'm able to make the decision "No, I'll be fine without it" and feel okay with that decision. It's amazing that only a few days ago, I actually felt that it was just a matter of time before I decide that my life isn't complete without vaping and I'd go back. Smoking *cough* a certain substance really helped me stay centered and put these thoughts into perspective. Now, I'm noticing I'm getting more enjoyment out of the little things, like finishing a workout, understanding a concept in class, chatting with my roommates or cooking/eating a nice meal. Just a week ago, these things were just necessities between my true enjoyment, getting that nicotine fix. My outlooks and priorities have done a 180. Just compare my attitude now to this post from day 4 where I'm trying to seek justification to return to addiction, it's humbling how powerful neurology is.

If I could give any advice to someone trying to quit, MAKE SURE you think up new ways to deal with stress before you quit. I found this the biggest hurdle because nicotine has always been my crutch to stay happy with an unreasonably busy lifestyle. When I started university I no longer had a leisurely smoke here and there, I relied on smoke breaks, then transferred that to vape breaks once I realized I needed that nicotine but could not sustain smoking. Nicotine fixes activate powerful dopamine pathways and produce that reward, and nicotine slows the process of dopamine cleanup so that sensation lasts longer than natural. The key for me has been understanding the physiology, and to understand that I won't be feeling as happy and rewarded until my brain "rewires" itself.

So yes, it's been a real emotional rollercoaster, and I'd say it wasn't until day 6 that I "tipped the scale" and started to agree with my choice to quit. Before then, I was also getting no work done and the hours would pass with me just sitting around unable to motivate myself to do anything. I still think vaping needs to be an essential technology in our society purely for the number of lives it will save. The upsetting reality is that the majority of smokers will not receive proper education about quitting and will not pull themselves out of that addiction, and vaping adds "live with your addiction" to the current options of "die due to your addiction" and "quit". The kicker is, this makes vaping a double-bladed sword because it lets you get "comfortable", there's no health leverage to stand up to your addiction so there's no perceived logical reason to quit and feel the discomfort. Think about that for a second, as inert as vaping is it is still a physical addiction that rearranges your priorities to include an outside chemical, is that really an enjoyable way to live your life? You may say yes now, but that's how your brain is currently wired to think. Just to be 100% clear, my last intention is to make my peers feel bad for vaping or their addiction, I just want to encourage folks to think outside the box and provide my first-person story to inspire the notion that quitting is possible with the right outlook! :2cool: If this resonates with anyone, I encourage you to check out common lies of nicotine: WhyQuit - Nicodemon's Lies? (of course, anything related to smoking is not applicable to us thankfully, just read the nicotine ones). If you feel serious about trying to quit, read as much of whyquit.com as you can and plan your attack. The basis of the method all boils down to one rule, never take another puff, but it's got tons of articles that hit you the right way and keep you on track.

All the best to everyone!

OJsakila

Oct 11, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think, with the advent of the pv, it is easy to get carried away with the "hobby" of vaping. I am totally looking at this thing as a means to an end. I am 40+ years old and I want to be done with analogs. This is a smoking cessation product for me. I'm not 24 and smoking whatever is NOT cool any more..lol ...to me at least..

Having found a cheap pv at a gas station, (the Mistic), I have not had to invest the time and money allot of folks around here have.. My batteries last two days and so do the cartos...I smoked a pack and a half for 25 years. I am trying to quit but I'm vaping up a storm too..This pv kicks .... The 5-pack is costing me $15 and each carto is getting a minimum of two days...averaging two and a half...I've saved all kinds of money (like $50), and it's only been 2 weeks. lol..

I'm trying to quit. Not have another hobby. I think, even though I've smoked longer, It's easier for an old timer to quit it all than a young buck...I'm staring my mortality in the eye and smoking anything at this point is NOT beneficial to anybody's health. As much as members on here love to preach, vaping is NOT like smoking a vitamin..lol..

So, no offense to the new-age-hippies, but I'm past all that jazz. It's time to put all foolishness down. I've known it for some time...and so have you.

Last edited:

dg99

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I share the same views as you, I was definitely guilty of getting caught up in the hobby side of things. As an engineering student with a nic addiction, vaping became the most fulfilling hobby I could ask for ;) This was one of my reply's to another thread that I think sums up how I feel about it:

Funny you bring that up, I actually do feel that way. I've educated so many people about vaping over the years and spent lots of time on this forum, comparing vendors and juices, etc. I'm definitely feeling physical cravings here and there, but so far they've been manageable. The tough part is filling the void, vaping was a huge hobby and de-stresser for me. Thinking back to the memories of when my first 510 came in the mail and I loaded up the ....ty cart to the non-LR atty, but being so stoked on the device. I gave up analogs right then and got right into the vaping lifestyle, settling comfortably with my LR eGo 2 years later. I feel this is harder than quitting cigarettes, because with cigarettes you have leverage knowing you're doing your body good and feeling your lungs clear up. With vaping, to be honest it's hard to justify quitting, there really are no negatives to vaping in my life aside from costs. The key is that I don't want to live my life dependent on a chemical, regardless of the perceived benefits I'll always need that chemical to live normally... but I'll always have a soft spot for the ecig.

Robotfactory

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
San Jose, CA
Congrats. I plan to do the same, eventually. I am in no hurry to give up vaping. I smoked cigarettes for 12 years, and I have been vaping (without a single cigarette) for about 4.5 months now. I have cut my nic down from 24mg to 8mg. I feel fine at that level of nic and plan to try to go zero nic very soon. I am having a ton of fun vaping, and I have got very caught up in the "hobby" of it. At this point I am concerned with what I will do with the free time once I decide to stop vaping/building mods/mixing juice!

Keep up the good work!

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Congratulations!!

I had actually quit vaping (and smoking) for a year. Now I'm back to vaping. I only vape zero and 6mg or lower, so I don't do it so much for the nicotine as the hobby and...well...just because I enjoy it. A lot. I'm sure I'll stop again soon...or only do it when I drink. But I'm like you, it was the means to an end. I started vaping to quit smoking. I've succeeded, and in my opinion, it was much easier to quit vaping than to quit smoking.

Again, kudos to you and I wish you well!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread