Random DIY mixing and More

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
because I usually half suggested % I started at 10% which was ok but perfect (to me) at 15% :)

wow that's high... must be a weak mix or something.

I guess that's how they hook you into buying more regularly.. lol

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    wow that's high... must be a weak mix or something.

I guess that's how they hook you into buying more regularly.. lol

I haven’t bought a lot but the one shots I’ve tried mostly recommended 10-20 percent.

Butch

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2011
    433 miles north. of the Alamo
    I don't know.. there's some rap out today that gives me hope for our future yet..

:)
    Guess it will never have a chance with me. As soon as that beats starts my mind automatically shuts it out & I do not listen further.................I'm a Philistine hermit ..........:unsure:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I’m pretty happy with how the day is going so far. I got the review posted and got in a workout. I need to clean out the nozzles on a few of my stationary sprinkler heads and have a spot on the yard that’s a little thin so want to over seed that. My car could really use a bath but I’m not sure I’m that motivated.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Do you remember what we do on the Humble rhubarb custard? I need to mix some.

I think I was doing 15%. I haven’t used it in a while but have a couple bottles. I should mix some today.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I’m pretty happy with how the day is going so far. I got the review posted and got in a workout. I need to clean out the nozzles on a few of my stationary sprinkler heads and have a spot on the yard that’s a little thin so want to over seed that. My car could really use a bath but I’m not sure I’m that motivated.
    Glad you’re having such a good day :)

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Guess it will never have a chance with me. As soon as that beats starts my mind automatically shuts it out & I do not listen further.................I'm a Philistine hermit ..........:unsure:
    That’s ok, Butch, I don’t like rap either. However, I do like AC/DC. Mostly I like old time rock and a little country.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Caramel mixxes are Illusive and difficult....care to share your best recipe....or is it on Zazie's blog??
    Both caramel and butterscotch mixes are elusive. I spent a few years developing mine with many many tweaks along the way. In fact I still tweak things here and there.

In my experience...

1) You will not find one single caramel that provides a robust caramel flavor. What is lacking in one will be found in another. Same with butterscotch flavors. Making a convincing butterscotch, or caramel, vape requires using a few of each in a mix.

2) Caramel needs the help of butterscotch in order to be convincing. Likewise butterscotch needs the help of caramel to be convincing.

3) Caramel or butterscotch need the help of creams and vanilla.

Here are my basic Caramel, and Butterscotch, recipes with some notes.

Butterscotch:

FW Butterscotch Ripple 3.5%
    FA Butterscotch 2%
    FW Natural Butterscotch 1%
    FA Caramel 1%
    FA Madagascar (Vanilla Classic) 3% (3.5%-4% for more vanilla flavor)
    FA Vienna Cream 0.75%
    FLV Cream 0.5% (1% for more of a creaminess)

Caramel:

FA Caramel 1%-2%
    FW Caramel Candy 1%-1.5%
    FA Butterscotch 2%
    FA Vienna Cream 0.75%

Suggested steep time = 3-4 weeks. The longer you let it steep the better.

I have several variations of the above recipes that I've developed over the years. The ones that are in @Zazie's Blog are good, but older. Improvements have been made since those were posted.

To make either more sweet increase Vienna Cream to 1%-1.5%. Warning, doing so will make either mix much sweeter. For a less sweeter mix decrease Vienna Cream to 0.25%-0.5%. It will not need any sweetener as caramel, and/or, butterscotch are sweet 'as is'. The creams and vanilla also lend some natural sweetness to the mix.

Also worth noting, there is a natural buttery note in most caramel and butterscotch flavors. If you want more of a buttery note, add FA Walnut at 0.25% - 0.5%. The walnut will produce a 'butter like effect'. At those %'s it will not add a noticeable nut flavor.

If you want just a plain caramel or butterscotch juice make it as above. If you want a base then add FA Cookie 0.5%-1% or INW Biscuit 0.5%-1%. You could use a cake for that too. Like a white or yellow cake at 2%-3%.

I would suggest making the caramel 'as is' so you experience the mix as intended. YMMV

Here are the caramels I've found to be most accurate and the ones I use the most. I've nearly tried them all (same with the butterscotch flavors).

FA Caramel - it's a Euro style caramel
    INW Caramel - very dark Euro caramel, and strong
    MF Caramel - most like American caramels (not dark)
    FW Caramel Candy - I do not consider this to be 'candy'
    FW Salted Caramel
    FLV Caramel

@NolaMel and @Skeebo have sampled my butterscotch and caramel mixes. Hopefully they will share their thoughts.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Butch

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2011
    433 miles north. of the Alamo
    That’s ok, Butch, I don’t like rap either. However, I do like AC/DC. Mostly I like old time rock and a little country.
    They are listenable for me but my favorite stuff has to be strings, Lindsey Stirling, Bond, Dallas String Quartet, Amadeus Electric Quartet, ect.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Both caramel and butterscotch mixes are illusive. I spent a few years developing mine with many many tweaks along the way. In fact I still tweak things here and there.

In my experience...
    1) You will not find one single caramel that provides a robust caramel flavor. What is lacking in one will be found in another. Same with butterscotch flavors. Making a convincing butterscotch, or caramel, vape requires using a few of each in a mix.

2) Caramel needs the help of butterscotch in order to be convincing. Likewise butterscotch needs the help of caramel to be convincing.

3) Caramel, or butterscotch, need help from creams and vanilla.

Here are my basic Caramel, and Butterscotch, recipes with some notes.

Butterscotch:

FA Butterscotch 2%
    FW Natural Butterscotch 1%
    FA Caramel 1%
    FA Vienna Cream 0.75%

Caramel:

FA Caramel 1%-2%
    FW Caramel Candy 1%-1.5%
    FA Butterscotch 2%
    FA Vienna Cream 0.75%

Suggested steep time = 3-4 weeks. The longer you let it steep the better.

I have several variations of the above recipes that I've developed over the years. The ones that are in @Zazie's Blog are good, but older. Improvements have been made since those were posted.

To make either more sweet increase Vienna Cream to 1%-1.5%. Warning, doing so will make either mix much sweeter. For a less sweeter mix decrease Vienna Cream to 0.25%-0.5%. It will not need any sweetener as caramel, and/or, butterscotch are sweet 'as is'. The creams and vanilla also lend some natural sweetness to the mix.

Also worth noting, there is a natural buttery note in most caramel and butterscotch flavors. If you want more of a buttery note, add FA Walnut at 0.25% - 0.5%. The walnut will produce a 'butter like effect'. At those %'s it will not add a noticeable nut flavor.

If you want just a plain caramel or butterscotch juice make it as above. If you want a base then add FA Cookie 0.5%-1% or INW Biscuit 0.5%-1%. You could use a cake for that too. Like a white or yellow cake at 2%-3%.

I would make the caramel 'as is' so you experience the mix as intended. YMMV

Here are the caramels I've found to be most accurate and the ones I use the most. I've nearly tried them all (same with the butterscotch flavors).

FA Caramel - it's a Euro style caramel
    INW Caramel - very dark Euro caramel, and strong
    MF Caramel - most like American caramels (not dark)
    FW Caramel Candy - I do not consider this to be 'candy'
    FW Salted Caramel
    FLV Caramel

@NolaMel and @Skeebo have sampled my butterscotch and caramel mixes. Hopefully they will share their thoughts.

Good luck :)
    I do not like Butterscotch and I can’t taste Caramel so I’m pretty screwed. Got anything else? :lol:

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    They are listenable for me but my favorite stuff has to be strings, Lindsey Stirling, Bond, Dallas String Quartet, Amadeus Electric Quartet, ect.
    To each his/her own. Would be boring if we were all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread