Random DIY mixing and More

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
If you feel comfortable with the batteries you have, then no don't get more.

Between Her and I, we currently have 18 batteries in-use, 18650's, 20700's and 21700's. Last week I took 12 older batteries to our recycling center.

I also have 24 spare batteries. 18650's, 20700's and 21700's. I keep those in our basement. Batteries ship at storage voltage which is 3.5V - 3.6V. Every few months I check those to make sure they're at storage voltages. If any need to be topped off to 3.5V - 3.6V they get topped off.

I have 5 in use old batteries that will be retired sometime soon. I have 4 batteries in use that are fairly new. Then I have 14 old/new batteries. So this pretty much means that I have 18 batteries that are new or fairly so.. Soooooo do you think I need more????

I also have 4 21700’s.

So any ideas on my batteries? Should I get more or no.?

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    If you feel comfortable with the batteries you have, then no don't get more.

Between Her and I, we currently have 18 batteries in-use, 18650's, 20700's and 21700's. Last week I took 12 older batteries to our recycling center.

I also have 24 spare batteries. 18650's, 20700's and 21700's. I keep those in our basement. Batteries ship at storage voltage which is 3.5V - 3.6V. Every few months I check those to make sure they're at storage voltages. If any need to be topped off to 3.5V - 3.6V they get topped off.
    That’s just it. I’m not super comfortable with it,

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I got some vape mail today. I was surprised since my last SM order took forever. I got an Xros pod to replace my one at work that melted down and a back up Target 100 mod. I’ve kept the one I got for review in rotation for a long time. It’s just a really nice size for a 21700 mod.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I also have 24 spare batteries.

LOLz . . . correction, we have 34 spare batteries. She just counted them, and then asked if we should buy more. We use them not only for vaping but also our flashlights. My youngest daughter and her wife have pretty many in-use and a bunch of spares.

Rossum has been doing long term testing with his spare batteries. His test results led me to buying a bunch of spares. As long as they are stored in a cool dry place they will last.

If the worst case scenario happens, there will always be cordless tool battery packs to open up and remove (de-solder) batteries. Most of those use 18650s and some use 21700s (Dewalt).

My thinking is we cannot go wrong having a good number of spare batteries. As long as one does periodic checks to make sure they're at storage voltages - - - 3.5V to 3.6V - - - they will be good for quite some time.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    LOLz . . . correction, we have 34 spare batteries. She just counted them, and then asked if we should buy more. We use them not only for vaping but also our flashlights. My youngest daughter and her wife have pretty many in-use and a bunch of spares.

Rossum has been doing long term testing with his spare batteries. His test results led me to buying a bunch of spares. As long as they are stored in a cool dry place they will last.

If the worst case scenario happens, there will always be cordless tool battery packs to open up and remove (de-solder) batteries. Most of those use 18650s and some use 21700s (Dewalt).

My thinking is we cannot go wrong having a good number of spare batteries. As long as one does periodic checks to make sure they're at storage voltages - - - 3.5V to 3.6V - - - they will be good for quite some time.
    Good reason to get some more.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    We get tiny ants in the spring, then early summer they take off and the big ants move in. Except last year the big ones never showed up and the little ones were there all summer. The big ants are easy to deal with because they hit the ant poison traps, the little ones won't go for any poison. I kill them with cedar oil spray when they get too pesky. Rinsing the dirty dishes and cleaning the countertop frequently seems to help.

They seem to come in from behind the frame of the kitchen window. I did think about spraying outside the window but that's part of the fenced in area where the dogs hang out.

Try citrus oil which is pet safe. Permethrin is safe for dogs, but not cats.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I use Terro Ant Killer to keep the ants away. Used it two years ago. Never had any problems with ants last year. Spread the granules then water lightly and presto, no more ants.

IMG_1966cr.jpg

gloopdegurp

DIY Hack
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2022
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Good reason to get some more.
    Fran, if you or someone at home has/gets a multimeter, you can check the charge of batteries from time to time to see if they need a little topping off,
    IMG_20230320_203119147~2.jpg
    This one is from Harbor Freight, less than $10. Good enough to check battery voltage.
    (hard to take a pic though - had to MacGyver it, haha)

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Fran, if you or someone at home has/gets a multimeter, you can check the charge of batteries from time to time to see if they need a little topping off,
    View attachment 992845
    This one is from Harbor Freight, less than $10. Good enough to check battery voltage.
    (hard to take a pic though - had to MacGyver it, haha)
    Yup, I have one somewhere.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Yeah, it was Rossum's testing that persuaded me to stock up. Also the fact that the LG's I used for years disappeared and I ran short when Covid had messed up the supply of batteries. All I could find from the approved list was Molicels. Once things eased up I decided to start using 10A3500 batteries and grabbed a bunch of them. I figure if there can be supply problems once it can happen again. A 2 year supply in the fridge is reassuring. Sounds like they can last quite a few years stored the right way.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Can you use citrus oil outdoors?

Yes, I believe so, as long as it doesn't rain. There is an Amazon product called Orange Guard. (I can't get the link to work.)

ORANGE GUARD 103 INC 32OZ Home Pest Control, 32 Fz, Clear​

Users who are viewing this thread