RAtank - Rebuildable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDO1265

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
NJ
Hello all, Im back.

Ok, so I have had this V-3 RA tank on my desk with a couple sheet of ss mesh ( 325 and 400 ) as well as a roll of 32 Ga. Kenthal from mountain oaks. Its been sitting here for a couple weeks now and its time to check it out. Have you all figured out whats working best ? Id love to start with some Bobas Bounty juice and it sounded like the 325 mesh was best for heavy juices. Though I could start with something else thats 70 / 30 or 50 /50. Any updates on what the best wick setup is?

A full arch using both holes? one arch up over the center hole and plug the second wick hole ? Has it been determined that wrapping the ss mesh around a cotton or silca wick is a good idea?

Thanks for any recent updates you wanna share

MDO1265

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
NJ
Ok people... Since youre all at work I went ahead and McGyvered this thing up. I didnt bother with the wick and wire it came with.

I used the 325 SS rather then 400 cause I wanted to use the Bobas. I cut a pc of SS about 1 inch by 2 1/2" and rolled it up on a straight paperclip. Bent it over into a u shape, heated and quenched 4 times, then quenched it in VG 3 times. ( saw that somewhere else)

Wrapped a single coil with 4 wraps using a1 Kanthal 32 Ga from mountain oak. Then dropped a few drops of VG on the coil and torched that a few times. Wrapped the coils on the posts getting the coil ultra close to the posts. Hit the button a few times and had no hot spots at all. Filled with Bobas , then dripped a lil Bobas on the coil & wick. Checks again for hotspots... all good. Oh and I also took a 510 drip tip grommet and stuffed it into the fill hole. I dont like real airy draws.

Slapped on the provari and it came in at 1.5 Ohms... I was hoping for 2 but... whatev. First toke at 4 volts...........

WHOOOAAAAA !! SO THIS IS WHAT BOBAS BOUNTY IS SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honey , sweetness, incredibly smooth and light tabacco notes, Perfect TH. Im impressed ! As far as I'm concerned, The upgrade in clean flavor and vapor production using the RA tank with a SS wick is comparable to what I experienced when I first upgraded from mall bought standard ecigs to an Ego with a Vision clearo.

I have tried dripping on HH-357's , clearos, cartos, bla bla bla. This is BY FAR the finest and cleanest vape I have had yet ! If theres a break in period of a tank or so and its gets even better?? I have found my vaping nirvana.

I will say that in the first 30 minutes of hitting on it, there may be some wicking issues as I'm having to dry hit it a few times occasionally to pull juice back up into the wick. Is that due to wrapping the wick too tight ?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
The flavor does get better as the coil breaks in. Just keep messing with it, your technique will get better. You may have to make some adjustments as your wick and coil sets up. once you get it dialed in though it will be consistant. You may want to lower your voltage as well if your coil resistance is that low, or try wrapping to a higher resistance. Remeber these things kind of spool up so don't expect the immeadiate cloud. I find that if I hold the button down for a few seconds and let it get up to the max operating temp befor tokin it really blasts off.

Last edited:

MDO1265

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
NJ
After this coil is shot ( however long that takes) I'll go ahead and do the double coil setup with the smaller ss wick inside the larger ss wick and go with a one wick setup vs the u shape. I went with the u-shape figuring thats 2 wicks pulling juice up to the coil.

Still, the flavor and vapor production is better then anything I have tried to date so Im diggin it.

I may try one of the " line" thingy's too... gonna go check that out

Thanks Guys !

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
Sounds like a plan. Whatever you use only gets better as time goes by, so the way it is wicking today may not be as good as it wicks tommorow. If you VTF is the best, and you have to do some wick tippin so be it. I'm sure it is worth the effort. Keep us updated on what works well for you, stay in touch.
After this coil is shot ( however long that takes) I'll go ahead and do the double coil setup with the smaller ss wick inside the larger ss wick and go with a one wick setup vs the u shape. I went with the u-shape figuring thats 2 wicks pulling juice up to the coil.

Still, the flavor and vapor production is better then anything I have tried to date so Im diggin it.

I may try one of the " line" thingy's too... gonna go check that out

Thanks Guys !

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
Going to do a rebuild today, will be using 325ss mesh with cotton wicking inside. I will post some pics with my lil' camera. I am probably going to use the 30 G Nichrome again, so this will proably be a monster. Will post pics later. This RA Tank needs to come back to front page, it is an affordable, good hitting tank for tinkering vapers.

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
Monster my foot. It puts off vapor galore when primed, but does not wick as well as stainless alone. When I get done with this post, I am going to pull that cotton out and vape some Boba's.
cotton wick with ss mesh 001.jpg
Okay, started with 30Guage Nichrome wire, 325 SS Mesh, 100% cotton cheesecloth. Oxidized the open sheet of Mesh, and a section of wire to be used for the coil.
cotton wick with ss mesh 002.jpg
This cheesecloth works well by the way in Vivi nova and the phoenix. Took small section of cheesecloth, moistened with e-liquid, and rolled it up in the mesh. Inserted into the RAtank dangling cotton down.
cotton wick with ss mesh 003.jpg
Put ten wraps with the low resistance Nichrome, put it on the posts, trimmed the excess coil and mesh. Ohm check 1.9.
cotton wick with ss mesh 004.jpg
Pull the trigger. Dumping tons of vapor at 3.5v on the gripper, but like I said before the wicking is too slow for my taste. Probably would work well if you do not chain vape. I would have to tip it for a minute to get it to hit smooth after about 5-6 good tokes. I wish I could give it some time to mature, but I want some good genesis action today, and this tank is the best I have at this point. Vape on!

Last edited:

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
How many wraps should a guy use to vape between 4-5 volts using 32awg and ss mesh? Also, does it make a wicking difference if i use the silica wick that came with the tank inside the ss mesh. Thanks guys in advance :)

With 32g you will probably need at least 6/7 wraps to get about 2 ohm's which would be outstanding at 4-5 volts. My opinion only because I tried is do not use the silica inside of the SS on Ratank. I had serious wicking problems with that setup, it does not flow like I thought it would. I always use the double wick method, wick inside of wick, see riptrippers vid. Good luck.

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
Cracked my top tank today, anyone know the internal diameter of the top portion. I called DFW, and they said the replacement tanks come out on monday and will be 15$, which is way too damn much for that little piece of plastic that only took me 3 months to break. I am sure I can cut my own if I know what the ID is from a plexiglass tube or polycarbonate, or something. Any input would be appreciated.

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
The I.D. is almost 3/4" The exact measurement that I was getting was .740

Augusta Ga, thanks neighbor. If anyone is interested, found a 20cc syringe at ACE hardware for 40 Cents, that works perfect if not better than the original. Beats spending all that $ on a part that would possibly get broken too. Looks fair, no biggie though. The short cap is a replica, and the tall peice is what was left of the syringe with a drip tip attached. I placed a hole in the tall cap for increased air flow, allows for direct lung hits with tons of vapor.

cap shots 001.jpg cap shots 002.jpg

chieftechnicalwizard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Atlanta
Any one know how to pull the inner post out a bit on the RATank, mine is pushed in a bit to far to fire on one of my mods.

Thanks!

Jan G.

Bump, center contact in the bottom is not protruding enough. Thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

crackbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.thecrackhouse.net
the RA tanks are on sale atm @ dfwvapor.com for 61 bucks use code "GETCARDED" for 4 dollars off your online order

replacement parts should be on the site in the next day or so, orings, srpings, nuts, washers and polly tube replacements

if you use atomic fireball in the tank it will crack the tube, a 20ML syringe cut with a pipe cutter will fit perfect in place of the tube =)

stay tuned new re designed version coming soon!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread