Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Why don't you just try to go all out with spaced and 3mm and see what the difference is.. You got nothing to lose.
I do t like spaced large coils lol. Believe me I built both and I notice the difference. There is nothing like a well tensioned contact coil. Of course IMHO.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Higher power will change the characteristics of the coils... IMO. Most of us are running higher power now a days compared to the need for micros, to increase heat, a few years ago.

Well the large spaced will allow you to do what you want, 2.5mm at least..

Or you'll need a mega lung pull to keep the temps in check. Cloud chasers on 24 have huge air flow and hard lung pulls.. Otherwise the coil overheats. ie.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Why don't you just try to go all out with spaced and 3mm and see what the difference is.. You got nothing to lose... I'd hate to see you be held back.

Okay, I kinda took your advice, Jeremy... I just rewrapped the Hobo with 2.4mm spaced coils, 24g NiChrome at 0.18 Ohms... even on my little stainless steel mech, that thing is hitting in full on Beast Mode! First time I've choked on a vape in a long time! And I think it's wicking better than my contact coils for some reason... I also trimmed the rayon from the bottom (which I very rarely do, I usually trim from the top). This is gonna take me a bit to get used to... 10mg nic has the room spinning now, and that's my normal ADV.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
On another note, spaced coils seem to make the NiChrome easier to work with... with my contact coils, on first firing the legs get hot and want to pop until they start to take on a temper and change colors... with them spaced out the entire coil starts to glow pretty quickly. Not noticing a lot of flavor difference yet, but if it delays the gunking, then I may actually change my views on spacing out my coils...

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Higher power will change the characteristics of the coils... IMO. Most of us are running higher power now a days compared to the need for micros, to increase heat, a few years ago.

Well the large spaced will allow you to do what you want, 2.5mm at least..

Or you'll need a mega lung pull to keep the temps in check. Cloud chasers on 24 have huge air flow and hard lung pulls.. Otherwise the coil overheats. ie.

Okay, I kinda took your advice, Jeremy... I just rewrapped the Hobo with 2.4mm spaced coils, 24g NiChrome at 0.18 Ohms... even on my little stainless steel mech, that thing is hitting in full on Beast Mode! First time I've choked on a vape in a long time! And I think it's wicking better than my contact coils for some reason... I also trimmed the rayon from the bottom (which I very rarely do, I usually trim from the top). This is gonna take me a bit to get used to... 10mg nic has the room spinning now, and that's my normal ADV.

Just FYI guys I am flavorless 97.5% vg liquid at 5mg. I'm not a cloud chaser, but like a good amount of vapor but most importantly i need heat. This is the only thing that I enjoy.

I'm still 99% of the time on mechs, I need efficient builds in terms of heat and battery usage. I want to get the most out of my coil with the least waste in power.

And that why a contact coil is my go to coil.

another reason I hate spaced coils is that they move. I want the heat equally distributed.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Just FYI guys I am flavorless 97.5% vg liquid at 5mg. I'm not a cloud chaser, but like a good amount of vapor but most importantly i need heat. This is the only thing that I enjoy.

I'm still 99% of the time on mechs, I need efficient builds in terms of heat and battery usage. I want to get the most out of my coil with the least waste in power.

And that why a contact coil is my go to coil.

another reason I hate spaced coils is that they move. I want the heat equally distributed.

I don't know about that... I pack quite a bit of rayon into my coils, and often have to support my contact coils with my thumbnail to pull the rayon through. But with the spaced coils that I just built, they didn't move a bit when I wicked them. I doubt very much that they will move now that everything is in place. It'd take a pretty hard drop to get that 24g to shift at all...

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
I don't know about that... I pack quite a bit of rayon into my coils, and often have to support my contact coils with my thumbnail to pull the rayon through. But with the spaced coils that I just built, they didn't move a bit when I wicked them. I doubt very much that they will move now that everything is in place. It'd take a pretty hard drop to get that 24g to shift at all...
Yeah I guess you're right. The last spaced coil I made was 28 ga.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Yeah I guess you're right. The last spaced coil I made was 28 ga.

Yeah, 28 is pretty flimsy... I use 26 and 24g NiChrome more than anything right now. I've still got 28, 30, and 32g Kanthal, but I never use them... one of these days I'll try twisting strands together again, or maybe even give the Clapton coil a try.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Contact coils are totally understandable if you're still on mechs. That's pretty much how they originated: trying to get the most bang for your buck out of a limited amount of power
Very well said. On regulated it "should" also spare you some battery life since you are supposed to lower the wattage for contact coils to get same results, however as I see it people are going more by numbers than by actual feel on regulated :D.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Contact coils are totally understandable if you're still on mechs. That's pretty much how they originated: trying to get the most bang for your buck out of a limited amount of power

Yeah, I'm still on mechs, but what I'm saying is that the spaced coil I just threw in the Hobo is rocking any of my other coil builds... of course, I couldn't care less about battery life, I keep enough in rotation that getting through a day is not a problem... and I just ordered a handful of VTC5s from Orbtronic, so that definitely ain't gonna hurt matters.

Speaking of mechs vs. regs... one of my local vape shops is having a cloud comp this weekend, but they're stipulating that regs are able to enter, but you have to run a tank... no drippers... on anything... not too sure how I feel about that. It kinda seems like they're setting it up so that you can't even compete unless you're running a regulated mod to me...

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Yeah, I'm still on mechs, but what I'm saying is that the spaced coil I just threw in the Hobo is rocking any of my other coil builds.

Maybe you're just better at building than the last time you wrapped a spaced coil!!

Damn it, now you got me wanting to play with my mechs/drippers again

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Maybe you're just better at building than the last time you wrapped a spaced coil!!

Damn it, now you got me wanting to play with my mechs/drippers again

That may very well be... I haven't wrapped a spaced coil in a very long time. I've been glaring at my Derringer ever since I recoiled the Hobo.... guess who's next! :D

Do it, man.... there's nothing like squeezing the most out of a super simple device....... though you guys have me looking at regs and tc mods now, so I guess we're even, huh?

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
On another note, spaced coils seem to make the NiChrome easier to work with... with my contact coils, on first firing the legs get hot and want to pop until they start to take on a temper and change colors... with them spaced out the entire coil starts to glow pretty quickly. Not noticing a lot of flavor difference yet, but if it delays the gunking, then I may actually change my views on spacing out my coils...

Your view is changed.

Results speak louder than words my friend.

Even heat across the coil, better saturation, much less gunk.

cheesestain

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Toronto
Drop for drop.. You'll burn a lot more juice per pull with rayon if that tells you anything.

Watch that two hits you thought you had in there be gone in one and your wick is dry and you didn't even know it.

It's very efficient.

60w?
To a dual coil.. Lol, no problem
60w to a single coil, no problem.
120w to a dual coil.. If you can handle it and have enough juice it will do it!

Thanks! I tried it out and it seems good. I still need to get the density right. I get the nutty taste in the beginning. Most of it goes away but i can still taste a bit of it.

Are there any wicking tips with sub ohm high wattage vaping?

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Sounds like the wick is too dense. Being overly tight is what causes the muted taste and the tighter it is the longer it lingers. Try to use a piece of the rayon that will have even density in the coil.

Use a little less material. Once you get density down to where you no longer taste it at all on the first hit, your either right on the sweet spot or have too little and it will lose contact with the coil in a short time and cause the coil itself to dry hit.

I'm currently runing a .75 single coil @ 5-6v depending on mood.

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
I have noticed the same thing with my 26g nichrome. I've never had that hot leg thing in other rbt's. I wonder why?

Reactions: Kaezziel

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
I currently have a 7 wrap of 26g nichrome on a 2.5mm ID Microcoil and running it on a Smok XPro M50 at 20watts. It's showing up at .5ohm. The coil I had in there previously was a 6 wrap spaced coil of 26g on 3mm ID and the ohms kept going all over the place. It would start at .5ohms and then up to .7, 1.1,1.2, .6, not sure why but the micro coil has stayed steady at .5ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread