Status
Not open for further replies.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I bought some rayon from Amazon and wicked a rta with no problems But I noticed the rayon had a flavor to it that cotton doesn't have. It took about half a tank till the rayon undertaste went away. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the taste quicker? I was very pleased with the wicking results but just not sure if I can continue to deal with the flavor that comes with it.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
No answer or help, but just curious as to which rayon you purchased?
I use Graham Beauty #44130 CelluCotton (100% Rayon Fibers) I bought from Amazon, vape non-flavored and think it has a cleaner taste than organic cotton, although yeah different than organic cotton. I bought the 44130 because that seems to be what is touted most not only here on ECF but on other vape venues as well.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
This is what I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PBGJT5A?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title. It says it's 100% rayon.
Someone recommended that exact item. It definitely has a distinctive taste that I never got from cotton. I was really wondering if the taste was just me and if not what is the quickest, easiest way to get rid of it. I can't always blow on the coils because I usually use rtas, not rdas (but I do have a few of them that I use)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
This is what I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PBGJT5A?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title. It says it's 100% rayon.
Someone recommended that exact item. It definitely has a distinctive taste that I never got from cotton. I was really wondering if the taste was just me and if not what is the quickest, easiest way to get rid of it. I can't always blow on the coils because I usually use rtas, not rdas (but I do have a few of them that I use)
I taste the same thing. To eliminate it is almost the same as CagedSpam suggested. After I wick, i saturate the coil and wicking with juice I pulse to let the coil give off vapor. I guess the only difference is I don't blow on the coil.....lol I do add another drop or 2 after the first pulse to make sure the coil stays saturated.
Works every time....

:)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Ok feel kinda dumb. Didn't occur to me to prime it first and then blow on the coils. As many dry hits as I've gotten I know the benefit of priming the coil lol. Thanks for the tip.
After I prime the coil I prime the wick as well regardless of material. It does work very well. I juice and pulse several times.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Thank you all. I'll definitely prime the coil and wick and then pulse several times. I hope it works for me because it seemed much easier to Wick with the rayon. I have two of the same rtas. Might try wicking one with rayon and one with cotton and compare the two. At least the flavor won't count against the rayon.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Ok feel kinda dumb. Didn't occur to me to prime it first and then blow on the coils. As many dry hits as I've gotten I know the benefit of priming the coil lol. Thanks for the tip.
I use my own modified dry burn technique for cleaning an atomizer coil(s) that has become encrusted with carbonized material or 'coked-up. Any source of liquid feed is removed, and the "on" button is held down while the coil is observed, the button being released the moment the coil reaches near maximum glow, and the process is repeated several times. On the last pulse, let up on the start button and quickly dip the near glowing coil into a shallow water filled container(just enough water to cover the coil) and retract. With the mod and RDA upside down. dry repulse a few more time and shake any water from RDA.
re:
You may notice that some wire pitting on the coil. The water and near glowing coil will cause a rapid contraction to the coil wire base metal. This shock, called thermal shock, can loosen baked on encrusted e juice etc.
After a new rayon wick is inserted, I apply a few dabs of juice on either side of the coil wick and then fill my deep well RDA. I just make sure the entire wick is saturated and ready for the first taste.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
Thank you all. I'll definitely prime the coil and wick and then pulse several times. I hope it works for me because it seemed much easier to Wick with the rayon. I have two of the same rtas. Might try wicking one with rayon and one with cotton and compare the two. At least the flavor won't count against the rayon.

Please report back as I'm interested in buying the same rayon, it's the only rayon i can get and the price of shipping is expensive. So I want to know if it's worth it. Thanks

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I've been vaping rayon for several years now and I have NO breakin taste at all. Breakin taste or any taste in rayon is usually always user error. If rayon isn't almost coil distorting tight then your risking taste. The juice flows outside the fiber so there is no expansion like cotton that flows inside the fiber but it settles upon itself so top part of the coil is exposed. Rouge fibers that can sit ontop the coil can produce a taste but juicing the build, you can manicure it nicely and corral all the loose fibers. Thinning the rayon is also critical, not by cutting but running something pointy through the tail to remove the bulk in the tails(well explained in here about tail thinning). With having so much wicking in the coil you end up with massive thick tails that actually does choke the flow to the coil...again breakin taste from lack of juice. You can thin 1/3 to 1/2 the bulky tail away.
Rayon works best using the shortest route to the coil so rabbit ears then stuffing into a mish-mash makes for lousy vapes. I juice the build then groom it to fit into the space
Rayon isn't cotton and so many make that mistake and end up with crappy vape, everything about rayon is opposite too cotton.
I get a tank or two in a subtank mini of breakin time before the coil begins to perform at 1/2 to 3/4 normal power of the build.

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Should add too that rayon is a magnet to whatever is on your hands, even washing, the soap before building can residue a taste into the rayon. Dust from opening and closing the box can settle dust and other cooties into the box. Ziplock portions of the wicking then put back into the box but use a sandwich size ziplock to keep refilling from the larger bags. Once you nail the rayon its the Grahams 44060 box to be sure its the right stuff...500 feet of vape nirvana. I'm not sure about any other box sizes or numbers.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I've been vaping rayon for several years now and I have NO breakin taste at all. Breakin taste or any taste in rayon is usually always user error.
I have always had that 'taste' either the 'cotton' or the rayon. I use rayon because its easier to work with. Before trying rayon, I used almost every kind of cotton on the diy market. To me, they all had that 'taste' unless I did as I said in my post. I am glad you have no tastes in rayon, but not everyone is so lucky.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I have always had that 'taste' either the 'cotton' or the rayon. I use rayon because its easier to work with. Before trying rayon, I used almost every kind of cotton on the diy market. To me, they all had that 'taste' unless I did as I said in my post. I am glad you have no tastes in rayon, but not everyone is so lucky.

Thats crappy.....I assume you have been there and tried with the wick. I also pulse the build a couple times to be sure its firing nicely then couple more drops of juice before final assembly...maybe that is the ticket too no taste.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thats crappy.....I assume you have been there and tried with the wick. I also pulse the build a couple times to be sure its firing nicely then couple more drops of juice before final assembly...maybe that is the ticket too no taste.
Yes, I think so. I can really tell the difference if I don't pulse and smoke the coils But when I use titanium coils I do not pulse and smoke before putting the tank back together and that 'taste' is there until I vape it out. I put up with it because I think the titanium coils have the best overall longevity and taste over any other coil....but that is just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread