The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

RBA supplies

Discussion in 'VIP - Vaping in Phoenix' started by Keithhesh, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Aubie80

Aubie80 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Too true, just paid for a new Zen2 and don't have funds for another high end mod:( . There will more than likely be a huge wave of mods supporting the dna20 board hitting the market soon enough, but the controller one is sweet.

2. Hellen A. Handbasket

Hellen A. Handbasket Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yeah, the toy list never ends with this stuff. You think it will, and BAM another new thing that's going to make vaping better, easier, tastier, (etc., etc., etc.).

Some day, I'll start my vaping museum with all of the boxes of crap I've moved on from. LOL
    *sigh*

3. Serial70

Serial70 Full Member Verified Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    I am actually making one of the NES controller mods for silentnights. He is acquiring the parts and I am assembling it for him.

4. EagleTa2

EagleTa2 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd love to get in on one of these classes...

I tried to recoil 2 T3 heads and was an epic fail... no big deal though as I prefer my pro tanks.

I also have a phoenix clone rda and a cobra clone rba. The cobra clone has been sitting in the box just mocking me...

I have 15 meters of silica wick on the way and plan on ordering 31 game kanthal...only because I'm indecisive and couldn't decide between 30 or 32.

I'm in ahwatukee, but definitely plan on going to the VIP meet in July...can't make June.

Thanks
    Geo

5. Aubie80

Jul 7, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    The pro tanks are much much easier to re-coil. My opinion though. All areas that you need to work in are very accessible. If you have strong hands you dont need any tools to take apart the pro tanks heads.

6. Keithhesh

Keithhesh Moved On

May 21, 2013
    What about the extra wick?

Do you just leave it out when you rebuild or does it leak if you do that?

7. Aubie80

Jul 7, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I leave mine out but I use 2mm wick folded on top of itself, then I wrap the coil. To each their own I suppose thats just how I do it, haven't experimented with doing it any other ways though/yet.

8. Keithhesh

Keithhesh Moved On

May 21, 2013
    I think I might have to start out with the folding over itself technique. I ordered 1.5mm off of Ebay since it was all they had available in the shortest length.

I get the feeling there will be some experimentation in starting to rebuild.

Should be ok with testing ohms on my zmax until I get a black box too.

9. Aubie80

Jul 7, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I would imagine so, I used my vamo for months before getting a multimeter. You can get a cheap multimeter at harbor freight.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-98025.html

They work well but before you check for ohms make sure to touch the leads together and subtract that from you coil. mine has a difference of 1 - 1.5 ohms.
    Someone told me that you can get better cables that wont have that big of difference in ohms.

10. Cheechako

Cheechako Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2012
    Arizona
    I got one of these for rebuilding the coils and rewicking: fluorescent-magnifying-lamp
    It is the only way to go if you're going to work with these tiny parts!

11. Aubie80

Jul 7, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    They do come in quite handy. I got a headset that has lights and a magnifying lens but that works well also. After a while it has become almost second nature to build a coil. I do use the magnification for looking at why a hot spot has occurred.

12. Hellen A. Handbasket

Oh man *head slap* I have several of those. One big one that is a floor stand on wheels (vintage, I think it came out of a Doctor's office), and one that clamps to a table. Didn't ever think about using them for rebuilding. I use them with my collection (antique clothes buttons... don't ask, it'll bore the pants off of ya). I'll have to drag one out of the room and put it down stairs here with my vaping stuff.

13. Josh Pierce

Josh Pierce Full Member Verified Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Avondale,Az
    I've actually been thinking about getting one I just haven't broke down and done it yet. It would be nice to get my wraps a bit closer but I'm already getting 1.9 ohms and I don't think my Vamo can go too much below that.

14. Hellen A. Handbasket

My RDAs arrived yesterday (Octopus) and a wad o wire and wicking (etc.). I'll play with the Octopi... Octopuses... whatever (LOL) sometime today if I get time. I'll probably watch the videos again, but wait to do rebuilds until I get some one-on-one time with someone here locally. (these and the Protanks). I have no idea how to i.d. hot spots and stuff like that. Ugh, moar stuff to learn.

It never ends. LOL

15. davelog

davelog Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 4, 2011
    Phoenix
    Maybe we should plan an 'RBA 101' breakout session after the raffle at the meet this month. Wanna head that up, Serial?

16. Hellen A. Handbasket

That'd be great!

Just got the Octopus out and this thing is awesome! I'm going to want to learn to build these for sure!

17. Serial70

Serial70 Full Member Verified Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    I can definitely put something together. What do you want to focus on? Genisis or silica? Any specific devices you want covered, like AGA, AGI, ProTank, Evod, etc?

18. davelog

May 4, 2011
    Phoenix
    Thanks! There'll be a coupla A7's in the raffle this month from what I hear, so a blanket lesson that includes Phoenix- and Genesis- styles would probably cover the most use cases. I'm sure people have specific questions they'd like to see addressed, anyone wanna pipe up with suggestions for topics that Serial needs to cover?

Usually there's a few folks that bail after the raffle, so that'll give us a chance to consolidate seating and open up a table for you and interested parties to take over for the sake of your breakout. Sound plannish?

19. IMFire3605

IMFire3605 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 3, 2013
    Peoria, Arizona, US
    Seen on youtube the other day a gentlemen using a 4/40 machine screw to wrap his coil with, then used 1mm silica and a bead threading needle to rebuild a T3 head, said the same concept works flawlessly with spacing and no hot spots on protank, evod, and vivi heads as well.

The Build Itself
    Machine screw coil wrap for Vivi Nova / Kanger T3 - YouTube

Installing in the T3 as well as couple other tricks
    How To: Fix your leaking Kanger T3! - YouTube

20. davelog

May 4, 2011
    Phoenix
    I used to wind my coils on a screw and then thread the wick through it, it works well but it's also kinda like rolling a smoke using a dollar bill. It gets the job done, sure, but eventually you get to the point where you can do it without any extra accessories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.