The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

RBA supplies

Discussion in 'VIP - Vaping in Phoenix' started by Keithhesh, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. IMFire3605

IMFire3605 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 3, 2013
    Peoria, Arizona, US
    I imagine that is true, but for beginners until you get used to the process, every extra little helper utensil helps. Trust me, messing with my own computers for years, I've got all types of beginner nick nacks lieing around in a box in a closet but oh they made life simple when first learning =D

2. davelog

davelog Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 4, 2011
    Phoenix
    Absolutely - it's a great technique to start with, it was a godsend for me. I was also really jazzed once I could turn out a good coil without it... same as rolling cigarettes back in the day.

3. Josh Pierce

Josh Pierce Full Member Verified Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Avondale,Az
    I actually just started rebuilding with my pro tank. I'm game for any tips on getting a better coil. I've been using 2mm silica and kanthal A-1 that i grabbed from Craig with kidney puncher. Tips are always welcome lol. I've been using the same materials to rebuild the heads on my vivi as well.

4. Hellen A. Handbasket

Hellen A. Handbasket Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I saw someone mention wrapping a screw back in another thread on ECF and thought *brilliant* so I'm glad to have that Video to refer to. I really like that guy that did them. Easy to follow. Thanks again for posting those.

5. IMFire3605

IMFire3605 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 3, 2013
    Peoria, Arizona, US
    NP. And woohoo! Jumping for joy, first protank head rebuilt without hot spots or shorts, though -_-, to many wraps, 2.5 ohm coil turned out to be 3.5 ohms, but still, the screw method is simple :)

6. Serial70

Serial70 Full Member Verified Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    I prefer to not teach these styles, I feel that they are a crutch, like Dave said, once you learn how to do it correctly, you stop needing a screw or drill bit. I can show how to do it with a paper clip, that's the method I learned how to wrap coils with. I still use it to get a loose coil with no hot spots or gaps for my Divers.

7. Hellen A. Handbasket

We need to do a Happy (rebuilding) Hour out here in the West Side/Surprise... hmmmm? I'll buy ya a beer/soda/coffee/whutever if you want to meet up out here with a few of us Señior Serial master builder-o-coils....

Crutch discrimination... is that legal? LOL

8. Cheechako

Cheechako Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2012
    Arizona
    You can count me in!

9. Josh Pierce

Josh Pierce Full Member Verified Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Avondale,Az
    I've actually found that I prefer using a straight pin when rebuilding my nova heads and pro tank heads. Generally I just run the wick across the pin and wrap my coil over it all, then tighten it down slightly when I pull the pin out. I've had great results with it and typically end up with around 1.8 - 2.0 ohms which is right where I want it.

10. Serial70

Apr 5, 2013
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    Sorry for the delayed response. I am definitely able to put something together, all we need to do is find a vape friendly location and get a head count of everyone whom wants to go. Then plan a date and let me know...

11. Hellen A. Handbasket

INVITATION:

Ok, well TONIGHT Richard Gonzales is meeting me at Las Fuentes (137th Ave./Waddell) if anyone wants to meet up, have a beer/Mexican Food, what ever and watch me learn to rebuild my Octopus and make some back up coils. Probably about 4:30. I'm waiting to hear from him what time he thinks he'll get there (he gets off work at 4:00 and is driving from Bell Road and 89th Ave (or something like that). Greg Reed and his wife will probably pop by too. Anyone is welcome to come hang out and talk RBAs, give me some pointers and watch me struggle with learn this. LOL

Post here or PM me if you think you'd go.

12. James O

James O Full Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Arizona

Me and Sharon would love to make it but we have to pack for cali tonight. have you see this video on how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F3Qn9BqbTk

13. Hellen A. Handbasket

Hi James! I've watched them all I think. LOL I just want to make sure I get all the safety stuff down and gather any tips that make it easier. I learn better by doing than by watching anyway.

Have fun on your trip. We're looking forward to see you two on Sunday.

14. James O

James O Full Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Arizona
    thank you I understand the have to do it I am that way too. same there sunday should be a blast.

15. TBinAZ

TBinAZ Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2012
    Mesa
    A straight pin works, but depending on the thickness, most silica, bamboo, or cotton will swell up quite a bit inside the coil choking off the juice flow. It's better to start loose using a thicker straightened paper clip (or the like) and then adjust thinner for best effect. Once you have a tried and true method down that works for you, it only gets easier and quicker to duplicate. Sounds like you're close, Josh.

16. Hellen A. Handbasket

Well, I had FUN last night with Richard and Carl! Rebuilding an Octopus (RDA) is easy stuff (EVEN under the influence, LOL) and I'm now understanding the resistance factor for wire length/wick thickness (Carl has an engineering background/electrical, so what a great guy to sit with and understand this stuff, and he's one of my oldest vaping buds anyway, so loved getting to see him).

I think I'm hooked on RDAs. At least the Octopus is a fast and easy rebuild. Fold the silica, wrap (no pins or other stuff needed), shove the wires in the brass pin holes, screw down the top pins to hold it, clip off the wire length, measure ohms to check, 1.7 rocks, wet it, cap it up and vape azz off.
    :vapor:

YAY

17. Serial70

Apr 5, 2013
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    I'm glad you figured it out, I apologize for not making it, I had existing plans and couldn't get away. If you like RDA's, try looking into some of the newer silica rebuildables. The best ones in my opinion are based on the same design as the standard RDA, but use a tank and a feed mechanism rather than dripping to keep the wick wet. in fact things like the Kayfun and Taifun are modeled after RDAs and then put into a tank so you don't have to keep dripping, and they produce the same flavor and vapor. Try to find some ekowool too, after using it once you will never go back to silica unless you absolutely have to.

18. Hellen A. Handbasket

I've thought about the Ekowool... If one of the suppliers has it at a meet, I'd probably buy some.

Well, considering I just got in 4 new RDAs delivered late yesterday (baby squid, 2 Optimus and another Octopus in PINK), I'll be sticking with these for a while. LOL

Hope you can make it the next time we we get together to goof off and drink, I mean, learn stuff. It was a blast.

19. bdgusa

bdgusa Unregistered Supplier

Mar 25, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    meant to send a PM... Sorry:oops:

Attached Files:

• DIY.jpg
      DIY.jpg
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
Thread Status: