Reactions To Vaping In Public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I own a vape shop in my town and my customers have been welcomed pretty much everywhere. Before we opened, we went around town to the bars and restaurants and showed the owners and bartenders what to expect and what ecigs were....education is key! But, personally, I usually get more "hey, that's cool" comments than anything else.

Nice work educating the locals !

OP: There are lots of vapers and vape shops around here so I think that's the reason I've never got a 'whatcha smoking der boy' look.
The only real reaction is from fellow vapers. Some have proudly displayed there gear in recognition or smiled and nodded. That's about it.

Zencoder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Brooklyn
There are a few vape friendly bars in Brooklyn, mostly I see cig-a-likes. I love pulling out whatever mech mod I've favoring (Nemesis, Paps etc.. I'm a collector). Generally I get, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT... and I get to chat and introduce the other side of vaping. There is nothing like a shiny nemesis with a kayfun strapped on top to start a conversation.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
The worst reaction I've gotten from anyone about vaping was at a church retreat. I was out by the campfire and decided I wanted to vape so I went back to our cabin and built a new low ohm coil. I was walking through the woods back to the camp fire and saw a mom and dad and their twin preschoolers heading back to their rooms so I jumped behind a tree and vaped up deep...I'm talking mushroom clouds of steam, it was like a fog on the trail. When they got near me, I took one last huge inhale, flipped on my red colored flashlight and jumped out and screamed in a deep scary voice "Hi Kids! I've come for your very souls!" as vape steam poured out of my mouth and nose. The boy soiled himself, the girl fainted, mom cried and dad ran like a frightened schoolgirl. Even though I said "Hey, just kidding! It's not smoke, it's steam!" I was still asked to leave the camp.

Some people are so intolerant of vaping. Especially 4 year olds and their parents.

Worzel

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Last night at work, there was an older gentleman enjoying his eGo setup before his food arrived. They were not in my section, but on my way to it. Whenever I walked by, he would take a puff and glare at me. Their drinks were good, I wasn't growing a third nipple from my forehead, so I assumed he was thinking "yeah, I'm puffing, whatcha gonna do bout it!" Yeah, okay, I had my eRoll sitting happy in my shirt pocket, if he only knew. But my point is, if someone is to vape loud and proud in a place that is a grey area for vaping, do it with a smile! Restaurant managers want to keep customers happy!

chellemakepeace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2013
Atlanta
I have had very little reaction to my vaping. I did have a cop do a double take once, which was funny..he ended up just smiling at me.

I recently flew, and had no problems with my "gear" and TSA, and even family members who know that I gave up smoking are supportive.

I have asked my family to let me know if they can "smell" it when I vape, just so I can be sensitive, but so far so good!

Teach08

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Nashville, TN
...even family members who know that I gave up smoking are supportive.

I have asked my family to let me know if they can "smell" it when I vape, just so I can be sensitive, but so far so good!

Sat in my mom's kitchen, and she was enthralled with the lack of odor...and that woman has the nose of a bloodhound, never EVER quit complaining about the analogs. :lol:

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
Have had people ask if I was smoking ... Subsatnces and if substancs could be smoked from there. I say no I am not. but if u must know yes they can, you have to have a dry erb attachment or wax burner. .... I figure anything to get someone on to vaping even if its that way. You never know he or she may go out and get a pax wax burner or an ego with a dry herb atty and wind up buying an evod later and quiting smoking !!!

Also I have had the fake cough and hand wave thing a lot... my new thing now when that happens is to say excuse me why are you cughing ? and when they say it's because of my smoke I tell them this is an electronic cigarette it is not smoke its water vapor the same as flavored steem from a tea ketal and its completely harmless. just because it looks like smoke does not mean you have to fake cough and wave your hands around like a crazy person . 99 percent of the time they just stare at me with a blank expression and walk away with nothing to say.

The worst was wben I was at the mall I took out my hybrid and set it on the table in the food court I was cleaning the tank fixing the coil in adding new juice while I was doing this a lady was staring at me and giving me dirty looks when I finished and put it back together I started puffing on it... but not crazy im blowing out huge cloud I was passing respectfully and blowing the vapor into the air upwards so it would not bother anyone around me. as soon as she saw this she ran up to me crossed her arms then told me that she was going to call the police on me. I said okay what 4 she told me she wasn't going to have s*** bags smoking pot pipes in public I told her it wasn't a pot pipe it was a vaporizer and she said that they're the same thing. I told her that there was no pot in it and I'm not even smoking. she called me an idiot and asked me if I thought she was stupid she said she could see smoke everywhere I again tried to explain to her that it was water vapor and not smoke but she cut me off again babe using me of smoking illegal substances and walked away pulling out her cell phone and called the police. so I decided to stay just wear am and continue doing exactly what I was doing vaping all the while she kept shooting dirty looks back in grinning as if she was happy that the police were coming to arrest me. to make a long story short when the police arrived I was sitting there with my vaporizer out and the police officer asked me what I was doing I told him that I was using my vaporizer and that there is no rule against it in the mall. he asked if he could see it so I handed it to him he put the cap off my RBA inspected it put the cap back on and handed it to me. he said okay sorry about that but we gotta call someone was smoking ......... blah blah blah sorry for the inconvenience have a nice day and he turned around and left .

well I looked up at the lady put my vaporizer to my mouth took a huge vape blew out a giant cloud and smiled at her. she gave me this disgusted look and got up and stomped away verry angrily from the food court.

i honestly try to explain what I was doing very calmly to this woman and she did not want to hear it. in her mind I was smoking in illegal substance and her mind could not have been changed. some people are very ignorant in close minded, they refuse to believe or understand anything that they do not already know in life.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
to make a long story short when the police arrived I was sitting there with my vaporizer out and the police officer asked me what I was doing I told him that I was using my vaporizer and that there is no rule against it in the mall. he asked if he could see it so I handed it to him he put the cap off my RBA inspected it put the cap back on and handed it to me. he said okay sorry about that but we gotta call someone was smoking ......... blah blah blah sorry for the inconvenience have a nice day and he turned around and left .

Good show waiting to resolve this instead of letting the ignorant prevail. That's at least one more cop who is now informed that an apple is not an orange, and vapor is not smoke ...

Anti-smoking nazis really just desperately need a group to persecute, and the media has supported this, the stories sell ...

But shouldn't that woman have been held accountable for calling in a false report ?

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
I don't think she gave her name I think she called anonymously and then sat in watched to see the results because the cop wasn't looking for her to talk to he was looking for me and after he spoke to me he simply left

All he did was walk up to me look at me and I said hi and he said that there was a report someone was smoking ...... and ask to see my pv I told him what it was explained what it did he looked at it smelled it. Unscrewed it look at the battery put it back together and handed it to me. Then basically told me have a nice day and that was all

Let me tell you that lady looked mighty ...... off lol

Last edited:

winemermaid

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
United States
As time has went on (I'm a college student now), it has still been mixed, but mostly positive. A lot of people are just really interested in what it does. Some people think it's something other than nicotine, others just stare and say nothing.

It'll eventually not even be something out of the ordinary at some point. And I can't wait for that day to not feel so out of place with my box (mvp)!

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I live in a very small town. We like to say current fads get here 15 years after they passed in the rest of the world. :p

I drive with an ego twist + EVOD. I do not take my vamo or larger mods out of the house, Not even to the porch. The one time I went out with my vamo I got pulled over by a cop. It ended well but most of the time I can't afford the 30-45 minutes a traffic stop would take. I also spent a month fending off the busybodys around here gossiping about "Myrany got pulled over Tuesday Morning." BLECH!

I used to get alot of stares. Even people honking their horns and wagging their finger at me when they saw me vaping in the car. Now most just drive on. Another advantage of a small town. After 6 months most folks know what I am doing and why and just ignore it now. There are exceptions like the Principal of my husbands school but most just take it as a matter of fact and move on now.

All that said I have NEVER seen another vaper in the wild.

The Dingo

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2011
North Carolina
Two weeks ago, I was in a fairly vape friendly pool hall in my home town. I play poker there. I was discussing my recent drop in nic level to a smoker that has expressed an interest in converting to vaping.

From across the room, one of the other players literally YELLED, "There's NICOTINE in that?!?!"

I said, "yes" and tried to explain the science behind vaping. It was too late. I asked him if he wanted to see the studies which show there's nothing to worry about as he jumped out of his chair saying something to the effect of, I don't appreciate the fact that I'm breathing that in!!! He was about 30 feet away from me in a room with (at least) ten foot ceilings and I had not been blowing huge vapor (I've learned it's best to be discrete.)

As he stormed up front to complain, I went to my car to get my iPad and printed materials, just in case.

A couple minutes after I returned, he came back with his proverbial tail between his legs, not saying anything.

When the manager came back to take my drink order, I asked her if R&$@ had spoken to her about my vaping. She said, "Yes, and I don't think he was happy with my response, but until the FDA regulates those things and we're forced to ban them (like smoking), or until 90% of our customers complain, you're fine."

I replied, "OK, good...I was going to leave if I was going to be asked to stop vaping, but since I'm not being asked to leave, I'll have a beer."

She asked that I not blow huge clouds of vapor and not 'rub it in his face.' I told her I wouldn't do that...I really am a pretty nice guy.

Some of the other players later mentioned to me that he totally overreacted. I just shrugged and said, "yeah...it happens. I just hope he doesn't have to sit next to one of the (many) smokers...there's probably more carcinogens coming from their shirt than he would ever get breathing in my vapor!"

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Two weeks ago, I was in a fairly vape friendly pool hall in my home town. I play poker there. I was discussing my recent drop in nic level to a smoker that has expressed an interest in converting to vaping.

From across the room, one of the other players literally YELLED, "There's NICOTINE in that?!?!"

I said, "yes" and tried to explain the science behind vaping. It was too late. I asked him if he wanted to see the studies which show there's nothing to worry about as he jumped out of his chair saying something to the effect of, I don't appreciate the fact that I'm breathing that in!!! He was about 30 feet away from me in a room with (at least) ten foot ceilings and I had not been blowing huge vapor (I've learned it's best to be discrete.)

As he stormed up front to complain, I went to my car to get my iPad and printed materials, just in case.

A couple minutes after I returned, he came back with his proverbial tail between his legs, not saying anything.

When the manager came back to take my drink order, I asked her if R&$@ had spoken to her about my vaping. She said, "Yes, and I don't think he was happy with my response, but until the FDA regulates those things and we're forced to ban them (like smoking), or until 90% of our customers complain, you're fine."

I replied, "OK, good...I was going to leave if I was going to be asked to stop vaping, but since I'm not being asked to leave, I'll have a beer."

She asked that I not blow huge clouds of vapor and not 'rub it in his face.' I told her I wouldn't do that...I really am a pretty nice guy.

Some of the other players later mentioned to me that he totally overreacted. I just shrugged and said, "yeah...it happens. I just hope he doesn't have to sit next to one of the (many) smokers...there's probably more carcinogens coming from their shirt than he would ever get breathing in my vapor!"

It would probably have been a good idea to educate him anyway. He is still taking the idea away with him the misinformation that has been spoon fed to the uneducated masses.

Ah, I do need to address the misinformation about 'carcinogens coming off smokers clothes'. That is a lie being thrown out there, to further scare the public, by the ANTZ. It's their new 'third hand smoke' term to scare the general public into being more rabid against smokers. They will come up with anything to get their way.

The only thing that is on a smokers clothing is the smell. Period. ANTZ rabidly HATE the smell of smoking. To be truthful, smoking does stink and the SMELL does linger on everything. It will NOT hurt you.

EtherMagic

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Back in 2008-2009 when I started vaping I use to get CRAZY looks from almost everyone! Remember though, those were the days when 99.9999% of the population had no idea these existed. Not only this, but these were also the days when the only E-Cigs available at the time actually LOOKED exactly like a real cigarette, with the red glowing burning light and all. So yea, them were some WIlD days for me as far as reactions and looks, I use to play tricks on so many people with my ecigs back then. My boss at work showed up one day, I walked in his office and said "how you doing" and then smoothly put the ecig up to my mouth and started vaping, red glowing tip, smoke and all! He FREAKED OUT!!! He really thought I lite up a cig in his office! It was great!!! After I explained everything to him, and had him smell my strawberry vape, he thought it was the coolest thing he ever seen.

As far as these days, I vape MODs, I don't really notice anyone starring at me any more. The only comments I get are "that thing is huge" (talking about the MOD here people. ;) ) so yea, not much reaction these days. Some walk up to me asking where they can get one (and these people usually already own a ecig, they just want mine!) , but no where near the reactions I use to get when vaping in stores, etc.

Last edited:

The Dingo

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2011
North Carolina
It would probably have been a good idea to educate him anyway. He is still taking the idea away with him the misinformation that has been spoon fed to the uneducated masses.

Ah, I do need to address the misinformation about 'carcinogens coming off smokers clothes'. That is a lie being thrown out there, to further scare the public, by the ANTZ. It's their new 'third hand smoke' term to scare the general public into being more rabid against smokers. They will come up with anything to get their way.

The only thing that is on a smokers clothing is the smell. Period. ANTZ rabidly HATE the smell of smoking. To be truthful, smoking does stink and the SMELL does linger on everything. It will NOT hurt you.

"Unfortunately" I haven't seen him since then. Otherwise, I would try to educate him, but I'm afraid he's beyond hope as far as discussing vaping rationally.

You are absolutely right about the 'smokers' shirts' comment. At the time it was said with sarcasm and was intended to be more of a commentary on how unreasonable he was being. I suppose I could've chosen a better example.

Now, I just have to sit and wait for him to order a plate of fries, so I can gasp and ask him if he knows that potatoes contain the evil NICOTINE! :ohmy:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va

The Dingo ate my Baby!!

Love that av, my friend.

Nice story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread