Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
What's the longest you've kept a coil going on a rebuildable deck? Was it one you wrapped yourself or was it a premade coil?

I've got 2 coils in my OBS Engine that I wrapped about 3 months ago and they're still going. They're Kanthal 22 gauge wire and hanging in there at 0.25 Ohms according to my Nano Steampunk. I change the cotton about once a week and put them through a dry burn and cleaning to get the gunk off.

I really didn't mean to let them go this long but I'm out of wire and keep spacing off ordering it. I'm afraid I'm going to have to cave in and visit a brick and mortar for more on my next day off.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
What's the longest you've kept a coil going on a rebuildable deck? Was it one you wrapped yourself or was it a premade coil?

I've got 2 coils in my OBS Engine that I wrapped about 3 months ago and they're still going. They're Kanthal 22 gauge wire and hanging in there at 0.25 Ohms according to my Nano Steampunk. I change the cotton about once a week and put them through a dry burn and cleaning to get the gunk off.

I really didn't mean to let them go this long but I'm out of wire and keep spacing off ordering it. I'm afraid I'm going to have to cave in and visit a brick and mortar for more on my next day off.
If a build is only used occasionally it might last indefinitely. I vape 7 ml per day on one atomizer, day to day, week to week, for months.. For optimal vapor quality I rewick my rda about twice a week and rebuild twice a month.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
I get about 3 months out of my RTA coils as well. Rewick and clean the coil about once a week too. You can order wire directly from Temco and it will arrive with free shipping in about 3 or 4 days. They're also way cheaper than anyone else around.
+1

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I must be changing mine to much. I'm using SS 28g with 8 wraps spaced and finding that when I dry burn them (light pulses) in between wicking (which sometimes is everyday depending on juice) they start looking gray and dull and I end up changing it that ends up being every couple of days. Not really sure if I need to or not, but I thought when dry burning SS it starts losing it's coating or something like that and will not vape as good or harmful? Maybe I should be using a single coil more? I just don't know now.

Last edited:

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
I must be changing mine to much. I'm using SS 28g with 8 wraps spaced and finding that when I dry burn them (light pulses) in between wicking (which sometimes is everyday depending on juice) they start looking gray and dull and I end up changing it that ends up being every couple of days. Not really sure if I need to or not, but I thought when dry burning SS it starts losing it's coating or something like that and will not vape as good or harmful? Maybe I should be using a single coil more? I just don't know now.
I've never used SS, I use kanthal and when I dry burn/clean they look new again. I'm over a month on the ones I'm using now. Hopefully someone will chime in:)

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I've never used SS, I use kanthal and when I dry burn/clean they look new again. I'm over a month on the ones I'm using now. Hopefully someone will chime in:)
I may switch back and forth to kanthal and SS. I like either or, but have been using TC a lot lately.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Since I use kanthal, I don't use TC. I use daily my provari and pico.
I would have been fine just using kantal until the thread about temperatures and vaping so I wanted to match a SS coil like my kantal coil to see if I was in the "danger zone" and just never went back to kanthal though I have plenty wire. I tend to like SS better now that I've been using it, but still don't mind using kanthal either.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
I would have been fine just using kantal until the thread about temperatures and vaping so I wanted to match a SS coil like my kantal coil to see if I was in the "danger zone" and just never went back to kanthal though I have plenty wire. I tend to like SS better now that I've been using it, but still don't mind using kanthal either.
I bought all that kanthal wire and decided I really didn't want to spend if I didn't need too! lol I'm happy where I'm at and at the end of the day I think that is what everyone wants.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Usually don't keep a coil more than 3 weeks. Wire is cheap and easy to replace so rather freshen up at least once a month on the coil.

SS seems to have a slightly better taste than Kanthal but not enough to be an issue. I prefer Kanthal because I use coils in the 1 ohm range and it seems more suitable for that.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

SS might not look as shiny as brand new, but the grayish color after a gentle dry burn is fine. There's no real coating on SS like the Alumina coating that develops with Kanthal.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
SS might not look as shiny as brand new, but the grayish color after a gentle dry burn is fine. There's no real coating on SS like the Alumina coating that develops with Kanthal.
Thanks Eskie, you've put my mind at ease. :) Think I feel confident enough to let them go further than I have been.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I can't say I've ever 'had' to replace a coil. The only time I change coils is when I get an idea of something else I might want to try. I use 316L, but prior to that, I used to use Kanthal. I rewick frequently; every 10-15ml or so, depending on the juice. When I rewick, I lightly dry burn, with short pulses, until the gunk on the coil turns to a dry ash. Then I brush the coil off thoroughly with a little Dental proxi brush, rinse in hot water, and rewick.
I have squonk attys that have had the same coils in them for many months. Coils should last indefinitely, with routine maintenance.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've always used temp control, about 340 F, I'm always smoking a tobacco flavored DIY, about 6 or so different toabccos. I use a Smok TFV8 with the rebuildable deck, the tank has about 3 months on it, dual coil total resistance .40 ohms, SS Clapton coil. I'm thinking the Virgina tobacco flavor is aging and growing stronger.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My favorite vaping experience includes a brand new fresh build and wick once the resistance has settled down. If I had someone to make me a brand new build when ever I wanted I might do 2 builds a week. But I could go for months on the same build and probably 1-2 weeks on a wiick. On my rda it's a 7-8 minute job too rewick and 20 minutes max to rebuild and the materials cost is zilch. I don't have the patience to rebuild more than 2 twice a month or rewick more than twiice a week. I've learned to be happy with very low flavoring and moderate to low temperatures which helps keep a quality vape for more days.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
See . .I re-wick all the time just because I *can*. New flavor? New wicks! And of course, pulling and re-inserting the cotton means that I ruin my coils more quickly. So I'm re-wicking about once a day and re-coiling about once a week. I need to chill out with the re-wicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread