Vapour and flavour is mediocre from my rebuildable coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reid3131A

Verified Member
Aug 5, 2017
Hi, Im using a kayfun 5. All reviews says the flavour is great but mine is just average. I've used other rba's such as the protank 4, wotofo troll and the obs engine nano. On All of these the flavour and vapour is just average not great. Everyone says that building your own coils makes great flavour and smoke productions.

My current strategy is just to wrap kanthal wire around a nail
And put cotton through it.
Should I be doing it a special way? Does size of coil and wire affect the flavour and vapour production?

Am I doing something wrong, should I invest in an ohm's machine... Will that help or is this just the way rba's are?

Reid3131A

Verified Member
Aug 5, 2017
I'm not exactly sure what your issue is but I do know that it's always better, suggested and recommended to have an ohms reader when building your own coils.
My problem is that when i build my own coil it just doesn't perform as well as I want I too
.im wondering if I'm doing something wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Reid3131A

Verified Member
Aug 5, 2017
Well for one you're using kanthal.... Which honestly dosen't have much flavor imo.
Higher prices dosen't = better too, i've been using a baby beast rba for 2 months and i've been getting great flavor from the preinstalled coils lol,better than any drop in coils i've used for sure.
What kind of wire should I be using? Where can I learn about this?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Yes,
wire gauge, coil inside diameter, amount of wraps, spaced vs contact coils & type of coil, coil to wicking material contact area, coil height from deck, coil position as related to airflow, air flow, wicking techniquies are extremely important in flavor production & resistance all factor in when finding a good vape using RBA's.

Nothing at all wrong with kanthal for flavor or vapor production.

All rebuildables should be checked for shorts & have Ω measured accurately, all should be pulse fired to ensure glow from inside out before wicking & attempting to vape.

You simply cannot wrap wire around a nail, stuff cotton in it and expect anything but disappointment.

You need various mandrels of known diameter to wrap coils with, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm to start with. precision screw drivers, drill bits or vaping specific mandrels.
Various gauges wire, 30ga, 28,ga, 26ga to start with.
A way to accurately measure resistance & check for shorts.
Use steam engine coil calculator to model coils until you get the hang of it on your own.

Last edited:

Reid3131A

Verified Member
Aug 5, 2017
Yes,
wire gauge, coil inside diameter, amount of wraps, spaced vs contact coils & type of coil, coil to wicking material contact area, coil height from deck, coil position as related to airflow, air flow, wicking techniquies are extremely important in flavor production & resistance all factor in when finding a good vape using RBA's.

Nothing at all wrong with kanthal for flavor or vapor production.

All rebuildables should be checked for shorts & have Ω measured accurately, all should be pulse fired to ensure glow from inside out before wicking & attempting to vape.

You simply cannot wrap wire around a nail, stuff cotton in it and expect anything but disappointment.
OK thank you so much! Any idea of where I can learn about this?

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
What kind of wire should I be using? Where can I learn about this?
I'd go in the rebuildable section of the forum to ask this,i myself haven't starting building yet (only wicking) i did hear clapton or SS has great flavor,then again like alot of users say there's alot more factors that goes into it. All i can say is the lower your 0hms the more juice you consume and the more power you'll need (No idea if you already knew but i'm saying it anyway lol). Just remember that anything and everything in the vaping world is subjective and what one might like dosen't mean you'll like it aswell.

Reid3131A

Verified Member
Aug 5, 2017
OK thank you so much!
I'd go in the rebuildable section of the forum to ask this,i myself haven't starting building yet (only wicking) i did hear clapton or SS has great flavor,then again like alot of users say there's alot more factors that goes into it. All i can say is the lower your 0hms the more juice you consume and the more power you'll need (No idea if you already knew but i'm saying it anyway lol). Just remember that anything and everything in the vaping world is subjective and what one might like dosen't mean you'll like it aswell.
ok :thumb:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Hate to say it, but if the RBA is giving you that much trouble, and you think that you might be at risk to go back to smoking because of that, you might be better off going with factory stock coils. At least until you acquire the gear and knowledge necessary to build your own.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
There are a couple dozen tutorial videos on the kayfun v5.

There is absolutely no reason to jump into fancy coils builds until you master single coil, then twisted singles.
Fancy coils do not = better anything, more mass takes more power to produce the same vape as a simple single or twisted.
The kayfuns are not low sub ohm clouds bro type RTA's, they are flavor machines.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I'm in it for the flavor, but like to keep things simple. I build single coils, usually kanthal, usually 30, 28, or 26 gauge, usually 2.5 or 3 diameter, usually from .7 to 1.7 ohms, and use cotton wicks. Almost all my tanks are small, or at least have small chimneys, which I think helps boost flavor. I use Kayfun Mini 3s, Goblin Minis (I have v1s and a v3), SXK Doggystyle clones, Ego Ones with rebuildable (CLR) coils, and a Digiflavor Siren v1 22mm, and get great flavor from all of them. I use 50pg/50vg e liquid I make myself (mentioned because pg is better at delivering flavor, and vg is better at delivering clouds, but can mute flavor a bit) and usually vape at between 10-14 watts. This works for me for flavor chasing while keeping things simple and low key. These are not setups for massive vapor production, which I don't care about.

For both lots of flavor and lots of clouds, I'd recommend you talk to some of our local RDA gurus to find recommendations and how to learn more about dripping atomizers. Dripping atomizers may not be what you can use 100% of the time, but when kicking back and digging deep for flavor and billowy clouds, it *might* be exactly what the vape doctor ordered for you. You will definitely need to learn more about making coils, etc., but that can be part of the fun if you are into it! Good luck finding your joy! :)

Reid3131A

Verified Member
Aug 5, 2017
I'm in it for the flavor, but like to keep things simple. I build single coils, usually kanthal, usually 30, 28, or 26 gauge, usually 2.5 or 3 diameter, usually from .7 to 1.7 ohms, and use cotton wicks. Almost all my tanks are small, or at least have small chimneys, which I think helps boost flavor. I use Kayfun Mini 3s, Goblin Minis (I have v1s and a v3), SXK Doggystyle clones, Ego Ones with rebuildable (CLR) coils, and a Digiflavor Siren v1 22mm, and get great flavor from all of them. I use 50pg/50vg e liquid I make myself (mentioned because pg is better at delivering flavor, and vg is better at delivering clouds, but can mute flavor a bit) and usually vape at between 10-14 watts. This works for me for flavor chasing while keeping things simple and low key. These are not setups for massive vapor production, which I don't care about.

For both lots of flavor and lots of clouds, I'd recommend you talk to some of our local RDA gurus to find recommendations and how to learn more about dripping atomizers. Dripping atomizers may not be what you can use 100% of the time, but when kicking back and digging deep for flavor and billowy clouds, it *might* be exactly what the vape doctor ordered for you. You will definitely need to learn more about making coils, etc., but that can be part of the fun if you are into it! Good luck finding your joy! :)
:) Thank you !

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
What do you mean by surface area? I googled it I couldn't find an explanation.

Surface area = wire to wick contact area. More surface area to vaporize more liquid = more flavor. If a basic coil is not cutting it for flavor, try taking 2 strands of wire and tightly twisting them together, then wrap the coil, those little valleys in the twisted wire will give more juice to wire surface area, effectively you are making a dual coil (two parallel coil wires) in a single coil. Also, maybe try making a coil with a larger Internal Diameter (ID), using a larger mandrel than that nail you are using, this effectively adds more wicking into the coil and more wicking can equal more surface area to vaporize juice. I find in Kayfun V4 about a 2.5mm to 3.0mm ID coil produces the best flavor, being the Kayfun V5 is more airy, maybe a 3mm would work best, if you can maybe a 3.5mm.

Another way to promote flavor, decrease your airflow, this allows juice being vaporized to move slower and accumulate faster before travel up the chimney, this might increase throat hit a bit though, tighter draw = more flavor and less clouding, looser draw = more clouding and dilutes flavor.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm going to agree with others that you should check out the rebuildables forum to get more of a handle on what you are doing. Different builds may work better with different RTAs, for example, you just may not have found the "sweet" flavor spot for your Kayfun, yet. But, you probably will if you experiment a bit.

I'm not huge into rebuildables yet, and I've only built a few tanks, but I will say that flavor is very subjective, so what works best for *one* person may not work best for someone else.... I've found some great flavor from some inexpensive RTAs and I don't worry about it, I just enjoy it. Starting simple is good, but you kind of need to know where you are *at* with surface area, number of wraps, etc., not just the overall ohms you end up with. I think a little guidance and reading some of the pinned threads in the rebuildable section of the forum may help you. I'm not experienced enough yet to give you great advice. Well, going to that section of the boards and reading up is good advice, I guess.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread