Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
Oh, they are. For certain definitions of alright. Those seem to be yours though so that’s fine.

smok is dead famous for making exceptionally unreliable electronics though. Which means it will work fine until it suddenly doesn’t. Often but not always long before it should.

I’ve heard many good things about the boulder. For a single microcoil glass wick pod it’s supposed to be quite good. In particular it’s got a better form factor than the peas which is supposed to be internally identical. The question of course is if and for how long will one be able to buy parts to make it work. Proprietary is proprietary after all.
Ohhh but those were just 2 of them i mentioned to use, i have lots of other pod devices that I have or have used in my past or present.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
As long as we’re randomly yelling out small devices I’ll go “geekvape flint”.
Constant voltage is a ten year old feature that was commonly available in ego style batteries. One more piece of evidence that pods are just plastic covered old tech cigalikes .
How is this a reply to me? It doesn’t define size or features and you’re not the OP. It’s just more random naming of small form factor pod devices.

Okay, those aren't very nice. Bomb, you're great. You're very active, contribute a lot, generally think logically and post usually helpful answers, have plenty of knowledge, and contribute. But damn, you don't have to live up to your user name. So, OP didn't formulate the perfectly constructed query. You don't have to insult her and those that tried to help, all in the same post. They were simply responding in kind with general suggestions they thought might be helpful.

And this (as well as post #2 above):
The smaller a thing is generally the more poorly it works. There are some really small but really awful devices out there. Even the really big stuff is still portable. There needs to be a minimum level of device performance or a maximum level of weight and space used.

Is a very broad generalization based on your opinion, that has no real basis in fact. Smok made their name (and bad reputation) with larger, high powered devices. There's more than enough garbage out there in the high powered realm. Of the plethora of high cost tanks out there, how many performed reliably, and are even being used by anyone after a year or two? I think you may be conveniently forgetting all the crap introduced before pods became available. Good larger products were available, but probably more than 75% weren't really worth having, just as the smaller ones.

Stratum, as an example, makes mostly small devices. Juul, the evil incarnate everyone makes it out to be, wouldn't be what they are unless they made a generally stellar (and among the smallest available) device. I love small DNA devices, my Nugget & Target Mini, True MTL, and really love my Vladdin, and they perform fantastically. My Frenzy, though it isn't exactly my favorite, is very small and performs really well. Akso was tiny, and even it worked better and more reliably for me than my Svoe Mestos, as does my Vladdin. My Innokin EQ worked flawlessly, but I found something better. Even my Smok Nord never gave me problems, but just wasn't for me. Simply put, size does not necessarily have a direct correlation with quality, in vaping or other products. Some aren't necessarily designed to be rebuilt and last forever, but do what they're intended for really well...it doesn't mean they're all junk, and not worth considering.

Sorry about that stench coming from your cornflakes, but try to be nice while being helpful. Sorry for the rant, but it just seems you're unnecessarily chastising everyone.

I still love you though.

And @Isabel Fuentes - for Juul form factor, so far I don't think Vladdin can be beat. Although I haven't tried it, I'm hearing great things about the Kwit Stick, and am intrigued.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Okay, those aren't very nice. Bomb, you're great. You're very active, contribute a lot, generally think logically and post usually helpful answers, have plenty of knowledge, and contribute. But damn, you don't have to live up to your user name. So, OP didn't formulate the perfectly constructed query. You don't have to insult her and those that tried to help, all in the same post. They were simply responding in kind with general suggestions they thought might be helpful.

And this (as well as post #2 above):

Is a very broad generalization based on your opinion, that has no real basis in fact.
nooo... I’d say it’s generally accurate. The smaller the device the smaller the battery has to be and the less power it puts out. The only exception I can think of is the origional eroll which had a really small very high drain battery which held nearly no power at all, but it worked anyway because it could be constantly refilled from a PCC. It’s not available anymore though and AFAIK no other device has ever emulated the concept. I haven’t vapes everything though so I could be wrong.
Smok made their name (and bad reputation) with larger, high powered devices.
nope. Pretty much the opposite. They made their name with high quality replacement cartos and the odd mech back when batteries were safer. The cartos came first though.
There's more than enough garbage out there in the high powered realm.
and the worst of it is rather famously made by SMOK
Of the plethora of high cost tanks out there, how many performed reliably, and are even being used by anyone after a year or two?
have to agree on that one. I chalk up a lot of that to engineering advance and changes in vaping preference though. Making a good tank has always been touchy, and the premium market in anything is generally a bit crazy and unnecessary.
I think you may be conveniently forgetting all the crap introduced before pods became available.
One of my favorite sayings from Theodore Sturgeon is “90% of anything is crud”. There were definitely a lot of lousy larger devices. I’d say a lot of the lousy larger ones still out performed even what is considered a decent smaller one though. They were only crap compared to similarly sized devices. This does break down a bit in the MTL realm. The early MTL attys like the Russian probably still underperform when compared to a lot of pods. Cheaper to run though. Physics is still physics.
Good larger products were available, but probably more than 75% weren't really worth having, just as the smaller ones.

Stratum, as an example, makes mostly small devices. Juul, the evil incarnate everyone makes it out to be, wouldn't be what they are unless they made a generally stellar (and among the smallest available) device.
the JUUL device has its points. It’s an automatic that can be held in the teeth and thus vapes hands free which is a tremendous advantage compared to automatics that cannot. I really don’t get why anyone makes an automatic that can’t do that. One would think it was obvious. The issue with JUUL though has nothing to do with the device. It’s the 50mg/ml salt. And the lying. And the selling something without doing safety research. And the combining it with an only stealth design which makes it easier to smoke in class. Also the thing is so weak it wouldn’t have made the impact it did without the salt thing. There were similar designs to what JUUL made before they came out with it and they didn’t do what JUUL did.
I love small DNA devices, my Nugget & Target Mini, True MTL,
those are all gigantic compared to pods. 8 times the volume or more.
and really love my Vladdin, and they perform fantastically.
mine didn’t. Or rather it did well till it suddenly stopped because it has a foulabe uncleanable switch design. That’s an example of a device you can vape hands free BTW. Only reason to do an auto switch imho. Hands free is a big win.
My Frenzy, though it isn't exactly my favorite, is very small and performs really well. Akso was tiny, and even it worked better and more reliably for me than my Svoe Mestos, as does my Vladdin.
what do they cost to keep running though?
My Innokin EQ worked flawlessly, but I found something better. Even my Smok Nord never gave me problems, but just wasn't for me. Simply put, size does not necessarily have a direct correlation with quality, in vaping or other products.
Does. To make things small you have to give up things, generally. This can be minimized with good and careful design, but generally there is something. With tiny vapes it’s generally battery life and vapor production. A good MTL device is a lot smaller than a good DL device of course. Things get smaller over time with the same quality level because technology advances. What chaps my gums though is many pods aren’t technological advances at all. They’re technological retreats.
Some aren't necessarily designed to be rebuilt and last forever, but do what they're intended for really well...it doesn't mean they're all junk, and not worth considering.
that “ALL” in there is sort of a stumbling block. Not sure where you got that. I can see it being irritating though. 100% and 0% rarely happen in reality.
Sorry about that stench coming from your cornflakes, but try to be nice while being helpful. Sorry for the rant, but it just seems you're unnecessarily chastising everyone.
it was not my intent to chastise. My inner curmudgeon may have gotten a bit too frisky

• Informative
Reactions: gerrymi

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
When folks say pods cost too much my thought goes 2 ways. Either they stopped smoking when a pack was still a buck 75 or they forget the alternative to a $5 a week pod system is a $5 a day system of still smoking.

When they say too weak my brain thinks most pod users aren't after anything more than an electric drag from a vaper instead of a cigarette. 6-12 watts is plenty for that in most cases.

When they say the battery doesn't last long enough my brain remembers a cigarette lasts 8 minutes and cannot be recharged. They come in packs of 20 so carrying a couple of pods is no biggy.

When they say store bought juice is too expensive I think of my bother who used to 60 mils in a couple of days and agree, but now that he pods that bottle lasts 2-3 months. Again, compare that to smoking.

And these days nearly every pod maker calls them nic salt devices, so it aint just juul flouting the super juice.

While everybody in the vaping industry puts out duck bill tip'd flashdrive shaped battery sticks made of heavy zinc the teeth hold idea doesn't seem to matter to them. I say kudos to Vladdin for shaping a lightweight stick of fairly thin alluminum and popping in a one way cartridge. I could teeth hold my Vaporesso Zero too but missed the eye hit part and soon realized unlike a cigarette that once lit keeps going the pod only "lights" when I take a drag. No need for teeth hold.

And fire button, no thanks. Perfectly relevant for a modular device but to a pod, well thats like having to light my cigarette each drag or smoke it through a one hit at a time device.

There's no comparing a pod to a dual battery mod. It's like fishing or auto mechanics. The right tool for the job. And from my experience more people I know have remained smoke free after using physically smaller, weaker e-cigs than large, clunky, juice guzzling modular devices. For the tinkerer sure they're great. But for the average Johnny or Jane who just want to stop smoking via a vaper, the pod is worth the so-called short comings they are not even aware of. It's like if you never drove a car you don't miss driving.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
But for the average Johnny or Jane who just want to stop smoking via a vaper, the pod is worth the so-called short comings they are not even aware of. It's like if you never drove a car you don't miss driving.
Indeed, the preconceived notions are outlandish. Many of us are living proof that just about any device is good enough when you commit to using it. Even the E-Cigarette E9, in my case. The worst pod is ten time better than this thing was.
iu

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Oh how I miss the torture of a Fuma after seeing that photo GOM. Not.

After spending nearly 2 grand looking for the right vape, the temp controlled, low watt Zero won me over by being a smooth, torture free alternative to my Fuma system.
Then the Vladdin RE was the cherry on top for me. It was finding the right juice that really made the difference once I tried the Vladdin. A bit of twang, a smooth 70% vg and 6 strength was the thing caused my brain to say phooey on a stupid cigarette.

Now there is a bit of sacrifice in how much twang I get from a Turtle Blood flavor through a ceramic wick after a few puffs in a quick succesion, as either my taste buds are blunted or the wick can't keep up. Yet the alternative is to light up another yuck stick so the muted flavor is fine with me.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
nooo... I’d say it’s generally accurate. The smaller the device the smaller the battery has to be and the less power it puts out. The only exception I can think of is the origional eroll which had a really small very high drain battery which held nearly no power at all, but it worked anyway because it could be constantly refilled from a PCC. It’s not available anymore though and AFAIK no other device has ever emulated the concept. I haven’t vapes everything though so I could be wrong.
nope. Pretty much the opposite. They made their name with high quality replacement cartos and the odd mech back when batteries were safer. The cartos came first though.
and the worst of it is rather famously made by SMOK
have to agree on that one. I chalk up a lot of that to engineering advance and changes in vaping preference though. Making a good tank has always been touchy, and the premium market in anything is generally a bit crazy and unnecessary.

One of my favorite sayings from Theodore Sturgeon is “90% of anything is crud”. There were definitely a lot of lousy larger devices. I’d say a lot of the lousy larger ones still out performed even what is considered a decent smaller one though. They were only crap compared to similarly sized devices. This does break down a bit in the MTL realm. The early MTL attys like the Russian probably still underperform when compared to a lot of pods. Cheaper to run though. Physics is still physics.
the JUUL device has its points. It’s an automatic that can be held in the teeth and thus vapes hands free which is a tremendous advantage compared to automatics that cannot. I really don’t get why anyone makes an automatic that can’t do that. One would think it was obvious. The issue with JUUL though has nothing to do with the device. It’s the 50mg/ml salt. And the lying. And the selling something without doing safety research. And the combining it with an only stealth design which makes it easier to smoke in class. Also the thing is so weak it wouldn’t have made the impact it did without the salt thing. There were similar designs to what JUUL made before they came out with it and they didn’t do what JUUL did.
those are all gigantic compared to pods. 8 times the volume or more.
mine didn’t. Or rather it did well till it suddenly stopped because it has a foulabe uncleanable switch design. That’s an example of a device you can vape hands free BTW. Only reason to do an auto switch imho. Hands free is a big win.
what do they cost to keep running though?
Does. To make things small you have to give up things, generally. This can be minimized with good and careful design, but generally there is something. With tiny vapes it’s generally battery life and vapor production. A good MTL device is a lot smaller than a good DL device of course. Things get smaller over time with the same quality level because technology advances. What chaps my gums though is many pods aren’t technological advances at all. They’re technological retreats.
that “ALL” in there is sort of a stumbling block. Not sure where you got that. I can see it being irritating though. 100% and 0% rarely happen in reality.
it was not my intent to chastise. My inner curmudgeon may have gotten a bit too frisky
Most of my post (except for the manners part) related to this:
"The smaller a thing is generally the more poorly it works."
Yes, we all speak in generalizations, and you did qualify with "generally." But things you point out as what makes them inferior aren't necessarily important to others, and doesn't mean they work poorly. Of course size mandates trade-offs, but the only things you mention specifically are battery life and vapor production. Long battery life and high vapor production are obviously not as important to the millions buying pods today.

I just think you're viewing quality and performance thru the narrow lense of a vaping pioneer hobbyist. The market has changed. A lot. What was important in devices even 2 or 3 years ago aren't driving adoption or sales today. Dodge minivans aren't performing better than Porches because you can drive them longer on a trip, or fit more luggage in them. Diesel engines can run virtually forever, but it doesn't make them overall superior to gas engines. For me, using a pod gives improvements I can't get with larger devices- my athletic shorts don't fall down when mowing the lawn. It doesn't wear holes in my pocket. It actually satisfies with lower juice consumption. I can stick a couple, or even a few in my pocket and have different flavors, strengths, pg/vg mixes, without needing a vape purse.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
How do you disprove a generalization? One counterexample won't suffice. Are we to start collecting statistical evidence or expound on the weight of personal experience? @bombastinator, a 12-point blow-by-blow response only serves to overwhelm your opponent with the sheer tedium of addressing everything, and to disincline him from responding. In the spirit of friendly debate please make a better effort to be concise.

When a pod device costs about the same as a month of the supplies it uses, the importance of long life and user-serviceability are greatly diminished because buying a new one every year only increases the cost of ownership by ~10%.

I find that your logic is sound, and your core conclusions are never demonstrably false, but that they are often true in only a technical or trivial sense that does not justify the discord you create by pushing them. Even if it is true that a smaller device generally works less well than a bigger device, there are more important factors that weigh into the decision to own one.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
How do you disprove a generalization? One counterexample won't suffice.
Yep. But real my point wasn't even whether smaller = lower quality or poor performing. It was his definition of how well something "works." His opinion on what works well doesn't seem to be in the majority of the vaping public, judged by sales.

And this: :thumbs:
a 12-point blow-by-blow response only serves to overwhelm your opponent with the sheer tedium of addressing everything, and to disincline him from responding. In the spirit of friendly debate please make a better effort to be concise.

... they are often true in only a technical or trivial sense that does not justify the discord you create by pushing them.

• Agree

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Sometimes you can lead a horse to water. Then the horse chooses Pepsi.

Pods are here to stay. They are popular for a reason. They work.

Whenever a new person goes to the trouble to join a forum, jump through all the hurdles to pose a question seeking advice, what do we look like as a group when the new persons sees members offering advice of the wrong headed-ness of the original question? Then other members counter punching each other in quotes over miniscual details?

It's not unlike a person climbed onto a train in New Mexico in hopes of reaching Texas. Then discovers the already on board passengers changed a switch and now the train is headed for Canada. At some point a passenger ponders "where'd that new passenger go?"
The new passenger jumped off the train a long time ago.

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
Oh, they are. For certain definitions of alright. Those seem to be yours though so that’s fine.

SMOK is dead famous for making exceptionally unreliable electronics though. Which means it will work fine until it suddenly doesn’t. Often but not always long before it should.

I’ve heard many good things about the boulder. For a single microcoil glass wick pod it’s supposed to be quite good. In particular it’s got a better form factor than the peas which is supposed to be internally identical. The question of course is if and for how long will one be able to buy parts to make it work. Proprietary is proprietary after all.
Well we all have our favorites (meaning devices) & since I'm not a mechanically-inclined person I'd just throw the thing away. I wouldn't wanna take the thing apart no matter if it's a pod device or whatever device that's when I would more likely blow-up ! ... I''ll leave the taking-apart & puttin'-back-together to u guys that know-how or are Mr.-fix-its ! .... But ty for ur in-put hun !

• Agree

Berniejap

Moved On
Aug 11, 2019
  • Deleted by Misty

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi guys, I am the owner of a ... brand justcbdstore.com and am currently looking out for ... connoisseurs to review my product lines on my ... blog. I have a variety of ... products including ... gummies, ... e-liquids, ... tinctures and oils, ... treats for dogs, dried fruit infused with ..., pain creams with ..., ... doobies and far more. I am preferably looking for individuals who are quite possibly vapers or are open to testing ... product lines. If you are interested, please get in touch via the site.
More dot dot dot issues. This post is identical to another I just ran into. Seems a bit spammy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread