Status
Not open for further replies.

aidreon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2012
France
Ahaha, yeah, but the good thing is that people like them on your pics, and have an even better surprise when they open the package only to discover that the pics didn't do them justice at all :D
Oh Cappy, question that might have been answered a hundred times, but what do you recommend to keep the lady shiny like that? I think I can remember you speaking about Carnauba wax, but I noticed that the finish was kinda different on my D2 compared to the previous Cutlass? Looks more like a varnish coating. Is that some kind of Polyurethane you used this time?

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
@aidreon;

Hmm, I really should make a FAQ for the website, I've been asked a few times recently, but...

The mods are all finished with 4 to 5 coats of hand rubbed poly-urethane. My intent is to not fill in the wood pores completely until the mod is smooth but to fill in all pores enough so they no longer will let moisture into the wood to prevent warping or juice contamination and still show the grain of the wood. This is the same process I've been using since my early stages of mod making.

The mods are hand sanded up to 220 grit before I put finish on them, then 400 grit is used to sand down the previous coat of finish before the next coat is applied.

I have begun to give them a final sanding of 1000 grit and then one more coat of finish for a even more smooth finish while still leaving some pores open for appearance.

The big difference is the final sanding of 1000 grit and also I have started spending more time giving them a buff and wax with carnuba wax. The wax does not last very long though but it does make them pretty for picture taking.

Now, unless you have carnuba wax and a buffer it would be hard to keep them glossy. I would not recommend a paste wax unless it dries clear or it might discolor the wood by residue left in the pores of the wood. If you use a paste wax only use a very small amount and buff it well with a clean, dry and soft cloth to make it shine again.

Many people have used "Howards Feed N Wax" to restore shine to the mod. Follow the bottle instructions. Howards is a liquid blend of beeswax and orange oil, I am sure you have similar products available there.

Personally, I don't wax my mods at all. I've always enjoyed the feel of wood and don't care to make it shiny, but this is just my personal taste.

Hope this helps :)

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Thank you very much for the review pchela. I'm watching the cnc machine run but as soon as I get a second I am gonna slap that video on the front page of the website. Finally a video review of the next generation of RSM's, sweet!

Should I send people who take the time to make a video review a discount code for the website? I will have to do that, arrr!

Thanks a bunch :)

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Arrr, sometimes I wish I could be a nasty person, just not in me though...

Got an E-mail from a customer, raking me over the coals because the A7 he received did not have the free coil I said he would get.

I explained I was sorry, that I did not have an "employee" to scold nor a "shipping clerk" to fire, but again, I was very sorry and would send one out asap.

I think people who shop the website don't realize I am a army of one, working too many hours for under minimum wage, and i would have just loved to tell him I was gonna ship him two spares, one for his A7 and one to shove up his.... nose!

Oh, got another E-mail an hour later saying he found it and never mind.......

arrrr!

p.s., any of you all ever read this? I was trying to be funny that day :D
http://redskymods.3dcartstores.com/About-Us_ep_7.html

Last edited:

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
^^Hahahaha!- I mean Arrrrr!

heh, I do try to laugh too, but I find it simply confusing how someone can get upset and drop 4 letter words over a one dollar part. Admittedly he felt short changed, but using "ripped off" and other choice words seems a bit over the edge imho. Ah well...

Couple more parts to make and I can quit for the night, back to work I go, yo ho! (say, that sorta rhymed!)

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
ARR! How dare ye say such a thing! I am a pirate, mean, nasty, cruel and wit'out a kind bone in 'is body! And if you don't believe me, you can just ask me mom! Indeed....

(My mom is gonna be 80 this year and is doing fine. I really wish I could get up to MN and see her, ah well).

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I'd swab the decks as punishment, but they all seem to have been made into cutlass' and destroyers....

:p

Arr, you promised you wouldn't tell! Ah well, one man's exotic wood is another pirates pine planks, a little food coloring, a crayon or two and a big smile, har har har!

Last edited:

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Cappy is the scourge of the seas! He's mean and grumpy! Arrrrrrr!

If'n you want Cappy, I'll take care o' that ***** customer for you. :D

Thats what I like to hear! Mean and grumpy, and totally not because I'm old and grumpy!

but no, last time you 'took care' of a customer, the port Magistrate had us all in fer "questioning".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread