• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Regulated mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenataos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
British Columbia, Canada
I have recently been doing some research into this as well...

In Canada it's a little iffy...

IMO there are 3 great HIGH QUALITY regulated devices, the Darwin, Provari, and Buzz Pro (or I-PRO).

Darwin in Canada will set you back about $280 shipped with taxes in (*IF you can find one... good luck, even the manufacturer is out of stock)

Provai is $159, but that does NOT include batts or a charger or anything else. With the batts, charger and 18650 extension cap you are looking at over $300+ after shipping and customs.

Buzz Pro is around $200 after shipping and customs and that's WITH the M1A1 tank 2 sets of batts and charger.

Going to be ordering mine on Friday =) (I've decided on ROOTBEER!)

Buzz Pro is available @ notcigs.com

Ryan

r4nd0mCh40s

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I know a guy who makes regulated mods that vary in price, if you pm me to show your interested and a price, I will get in contact with him

he is the maker of my 5v "love box", 5 volts regulated, built in fuse, runs on two 14500 batteries, you can check the pics in the canadian set up

Last edited:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Not sure of the voltage drop off - you'll have to ask the owner/designer but at a MSRP of $80 - the MPV might interest you.

Coming Soon | Artisan Vaping

Interesting idea. I'll be interested in seeing where they go with this. The price is right and it appears to be extensible. Gonna have to keep my eye on that.

Any regulated mod does not have voltage sag, it will put out what you demand until you reach the low voltage on the batt. Cheapest one that does a good job is the lava tube

The Lava Tube Mini will sag, at least with the batteries it comes with. Once it hits about 3.6V I notice a significant dropoff in vape quality, and it has a lot of trouble supplying power, which is most noticeable by the LCD display and backlight dimming and fading when you activate the button. Haven't tried with proper AW IMR 18350s though, but I will when I get my hands on some.

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
You can't go wrong with a Provari, just based on the percentage of happy to unhappy people on here, their reputation is legendary. I don't own one because I don't feel the need for the added electronics. I put my money into the SaberTouch VV that is in my signature because I like a fashionable mod. I don't see any voltage drop off, although Vapor Moon does not claim that it won't. They have a 5v regulated version as well as the variable voltage version that I have.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Interesting idea. I'll be interested in seeing where they go with this. The price is right and it appears to be extensible. Gonna have to keep my eye on that.

The Lava Tube Mini will sag, at least with the batteries it comes with. Once it hits about 3.6V I notice a significant dropoff in vape quality, and it has a lot of trouble supplying power, which is most noticeable by the LCD display and backlight dimming and fading when you activate the button. Haven't tried with proper AW IMR 18350s though, but I will when I get my hands on some.

Undeniably what you are experiencing is battery self preservation in a buck/boost system e.g screen fading. OTOH the cells the tube comes with are questionable at best. I am running on an AW 18650 2600mAh batt and I have no sag, from start to fisnish. Having said that towards the end of the battery you will notice a drop off around 3.4V (time to recharge anyway) that is because the duty cycle (length of the toot) is longer than what current the battery can provide at this point (once again typical of a buck boost system). This is not so in a regulated mod e.g 6 or 7.4V, as long as the remaining voltage is above the set voltage, the output will be the set voltage from start to finish.

Last edited:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Undeniably what you are experiencing is battery self preservation in a buck/boost system e.g screen fading. OTOH the cells the tube comes with are questionable at best. I am running on an AW 18650 2600mAh batt and I have no sag, from start to fisnish. Having said that towards the end of the battery you will notice a drop off around 3.4V (time to recharge anyway) that is because the duty cycle (length of the toot) is longer than what current the battery can provide at this point (once again typical of a buck boost system). This is not so in a regulated mod e.g 6 or 7.4V, as long as the remaining voltage is above the set voltage, the output will be the set voltage from start to finish.

Yeah, I've suspected that the batteries the LT Mini come with are crap simply by the fact that they come off the charger at 4.0V and start struggling just 0.4V below that. I suspect that proper AWs will work better.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
They will Eric in a buck/boost system. However, my reply towards regulated voltage still applies. The regulator don't care what flavour the batteries are, it reads voltage and load. Therefore as the remaining power available is higher than what it is regulated at, the regulator will provide until the batteries or battery can no longer meet the demand - then it just shuts down. IME every regulated mod I have used has performed that way, the LT is my first mod where buck/boost is utilized. While sitting at its LVT (low voltage threshold) it is trying it's damndest to provide power to the atty<---- this I do not like, it should just switch off instead of sagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread