Not open for further replies.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I just received my Reo Grand yesterday and have been using it non stop since then, and I thought I would give some first impressions along with a full review to follow at a later date. I am a bit long winded so bare with me or just TL;DR.

First a bit of background on me. I was a 1 1/2 - 2 PAD smoker for 15 years and stumbled onto E-cigs due to a friend mentioning the mall kiosk he saw and that he liked the demo unit. I was skeptical to say the least but upon his recommendations I ordered 3 Blu kits. As you probably already know that didn't work out so well but it did give me my first taste of what has turned into a lifestyle change for me. I ordered 510 kits about 2 weeks later and never looked back. Since then I have gone through Ego's, KR808's, Mods, Volcano's Inferno, and started making homemade mods for dripping (my preferred way to vape). I was getting lowish on my supplies and came back to see what was new on the forums.

I noticed right away that VV mods have taken hold in a big way, as apposed to before when they were very young and scarce. I immediately started reading up on everything, including new methods such as tanks. I was going to pull the trigger on another Tube mod the ProVari or the Precise when I remember watching reviews for the Reo way back. I was surprised to find that its fan fare was still going strong and had a huge community. I like the all-in-one design and limited fuss that so many attribute to it so I changed my mind and ordered a Reo Grand. I'm a pretty hardcore vaper and go through at least 4-6ml of juice a day, in varying strengths. I know I went away from the VV but I've never really had a problem finding a good vape at 3.7v, and I love all mechanical devices because there is just so much less to go wrong.

I would like to first thank Redeyedancer (maker of the Reo) and the Reo community for being unbelievably helpful answering questions and being honest about the device. I always see devices getting rave reviews and posts saying "You gotta try this its the best thing ever!". The Reo community has its share but also has posts with honest logical opinions and suggestions, I never felt like I was being sold by reading or watching their reviews/suggestions. (This holds true for ECF in general but not always for Youtube and other google results). I'm very proud to be a part of this group of forum goers.

The order was placed for the following.

Reo Grand - Red/Red (Favorite color)
2x Springs (Gotta have spare parts)
2x Magnets (I wanted some to try on a mod I made)
2x Feed Tube + Caps (More spare parts)
10x 6ml bottles w/caps (I love to switch up flavors and have tons on hand)

I was somewhat disappointed that I couldn't order the batteries and charger from the www.reosmods.com site, but I understand why so it wasn't a problem to get elsewhere. The speed at which this order was filled and shipped was amazing to me, even in the world of PV vendors that I have found to have the best customer service out of any industry I have dealt with.

I placed an order from ikenvape.com as well for some new IKV 1.5ohm 510 atty's and batteries, that experience was also top notch.

I also ordered more juice from my favorite vendor Alien Visions E-Juice and some from Backwoods Brew to replenish my supplies a bit, both had excellent service as always.

Due to the USPS in Hawaii being somewhat of a joke, they held my delivery from 1/13 all the way until 1/17 but that had nothing to do with the vendor. If they would have delivered it on time it would have been the fastest I have ever received something here.

Onto the first impressions.

Construction - This thing is much nicer than I expected. I have experience in building mechanical devices, and also some machining and was kind of shocked by the quality of the build. There really is nothing untouched on this. I suppose the door could be a perfect fit and the switch cover could be a matching aluminum piece but I can see why they aren't and it is so minor it doesn't bother me. It is also MUCH heavier than I imagined it being loaded with a battery and juice but to me that is a good thing as it shows it will be durable. The button is a very nice design and I really like its shape and size contrary to what some say.

Performance - It doesn't leak, at all, ever. I have switched the bottles out 10+ times already and everytime I look I'm shocked I didn't make a mess of this thing. When its all together it doesn't leak at all. The feed system works great and although I heard that it takes some getting used to I have had no issues so far. I do get a bit of liquid from time to time in the catch cup but I am pretty sure its from constantly changing/re-priming my atty, and its just a coating not enough to drip out. It vapes exactly as you would expect a 18650 @3.7v on a 510 1.5ohm atty to vape. It never misfires and always lights up the atty the instant I press the button.

So far my favorite thing is that when I leave the house I just grab my Reo. No bottles, tanks, extra batteries, etc. I twist the switch to safe and toss it in my pocket and know that I have a device that will get me through the day no problem. I do carry an extra atomizer because you really can't predict those things but that is standard practice until they make indestructible ones. I plan on ordering a Mini now for my wife because the fuss of vaping is what always kept her going back to analogs, and with this it truly is zero fuss.

I highly recommend trying this device if you haven't, I feel kind of stupid for not ordering one way back when I was just getting started as it would have saved me so much trouble. I kept telling myself it was too expensive but after spending thousands in vape gear since then it probably would have saved me tons of money. I was so tired of the daily grind to get my gear ready to go this really has made vaping a fun experience and not a hassle in the matter of the 24 hours I've had it. I will follow this with shorter follow ups in the future.

Thanks for Reading!

Last edited:

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
Nice review and congradulatioms on your purchase! Red is a great color and the benifits of being able to leave the house without juice is fantastic! It would be nice if they (REO Mods) had batteries and chargers, but they seem to focus on their products which is understandable! Maybe in the future they will expand, as you never know when a new device could deminish their sales. Selling other products could help prevent that possible outcome, but as a small business owner they likely are staying within a busimess model that they can support and maintains focus on what's made them successful!

Last edited:

Beatnik

Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
Memphis
I highly recommend trying this device if you haven't, I feel kind of stupid for not ordering one way back when I was just getting started as it would have saved me so much trouble. I kept telling myself it was too expensive but after spending thousands in vape gear since then it probably would have saved me tons of money. I was so tired of the daily grind to get my gear ready to go this really has made vaping a fun experience and not a hassle in the matter of the 24 hours I've had it. I will follow this with shorter follow ups in the future.

Thanks for Reading!

Being that I have just recently stumbled upon this wonderful new "lifestyle" about a week ago, I think this part in particular just made my mind up that this will be my first mod. I already know I am going to need something more than this lil twig looking thing I got started on. Like you I've been telling myself its too expensive but after spending the past few days looking at all the possibilities I can see how one could easily spend a small fortune, why not just start out with what Im thinking I will likely end up with in the end.

Thanks much.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Being that I have just recently stumbled upon this wonderful new "lifestyle" about a week ago, I think this part in particular just made my mind up that this will be my first mod. I already know I am going to need something more than this lil twig looking thing I got started on. Like you I've been telling myself its too expensive but after spending the past few days looking at all the possibilities I can see how one could easily spend a small fortune, why not just start out with what Im thinking I will likely end up with in the end.

Thanks much.

Glad to help. I really feel like this device is simple enough to recommend to a new user and will really cut down on being overwhelmed by everything in the beginning. It seems like a lot after getting the charger, batteries, etc but it is a front loaded investment that in the long run really pays off and compared to Analogs is really just a drop in the bucket. Even if you decide you really want the new VV mod that comes out in 6 months (theoretical) you will already have the charger/batteries to use with it. They are of higher quality than the proprietary batteries and they are cheaper. I think including proven mods as a viable device for new users is something we should start to consider as a forum.

Come on over to the Reo forums and read up, its always a good idea and its nice to already know every little thing about a device before you even get it :)

Beatnik

Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
Memphis
Yeah, I've been weeding through the Reo forums the past few days taking it all in. I will likely hold off another week or so just to be sure I intend to stick with this and not fall back into analogs (which as of now I still have no desire to do). I may not be able to wait that long tho as I am really anxious to get my hands on one of these :D

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Quick one week follow up.

I really don't have anything new to report, in fact I have kind of stopped thinking about vaping as much as it just happens now. The Reo is so trouble free that the most time I spend on it is switching flavors and cleaning the catch cup when I squeeze the bottle too hard unscrewing it from the feed cap (Pro-tip: Grab around the very bottom or top of bottle and twist as its reinforced at this point, if it still won't come loose you have it too tight :). I have tried a few different atomizers now and they all perform well and I can experience a high voltage/low voltage vape with just a switch in attachments.

I have grown to love the design a little bit more in particular the idea of using magnets to secure the door. Besides making it a fun little mini game to see how far up you can slide it and still get it to fall into place, it takes one more wear part out of the equation as there is no hinge/springs/latches on the door. I have cleaned it once now and that was a very standard affair of using a couple paper towels, some PGA, and some q-tips. I did have the omg! it won't feed moment until I realized (I should of all people know this) that I tightened the bottle way too much and the tube made a seal with the bottom of it. Even this tube is cut to a very precise length, once I backed it off and let the o-ring do its job sealing the top it worked like a charm again.

I'm using IKV's 1.5ohm 510 on it with a Super-T tip and AVE's Apple Teaser getting clouds of vapor, great taste, and really good battery life out of it. I rotate the batteries before they are "done" to keep them in optimal voltage range and prolong their life, as well as keep them safe. There is the issue of having a device working like this causing me to direct all my time in the hunt for the elusive "perfect juice" but I can live with that. Great device and so far my personal favorite, I can't speak to durability (can't see it not lasting) yet and will post reviews at a later date when I have had it long enough to speak from experience. I guess my biggest issue is that now I have convinced myself I at LEAST need to buy one more when the VV version is released to the public, and another for my wife who is starting to come around.

Edit: I wasn't going to put this in the review but I decided to mention it. I had contacted Rob about a very minor cosmetic issue with my Reo (You could look at it a hundred times and not notice it type minor) just to see if there was some way I could fix it because I'm VERY picky like that. He not only got back to me almost instantly with great suggestions for a acceptable fix, he offered to exchange it and apologized for not catching it during his pre-ship inspection. I went ahead and took care of it myself because honestly it is SO minor that when I was showing it to my wife she couldn't even see it even with me pointing directly at it. I could tell that the only thing he cared about was that his customer was happy and that I received a perfect product, he didn't even question me about it. I'm a lifer now from that experience.

Last edited:

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
One year update time. What can I say I haven't touched another PV since I got my REO Grand and the only order I see myself making in the future is one in a different color. This thing is just so simple to use and maintain while giving me great vapor production and versatility I would never go back to the endless spending cycle and tinkering I was drowning in previously.

I guess if I had to give a negative I have worn off some of the anodized color from constant use. It'd purely cosmetic though and I have yet to use any of the spare parts I ordered with it.

Great device, great community, great company to deal with.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Megamuckel

Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Germany
I guess if I had to give a negative I have worn off some of the anodized color from constant use.

No, i think that is a positive. it shows, that the REO is a very good device 4 daily use.

I know many people who spend a lot of money for things in "used look", u got it 4 free :)

Great device, great community, great company to deal with.
I agree 100%

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
No, i think that is a positive. it shows, that the REO is a very good device 4 daily use.

I know many people who spend a lot of money for things in "used look", u got it 4 free :)

I agree 100%

Well was trying to not sound like a fanboy but there really isn't anything negative about this thing. Everyday people spend hours looking at the new shiny mods with over 9000 features since their current one isn't doing the job and I don't even have to think about it. Such a relief to just grab my REO in the morning and be good to go all day.

If anyone out there wants something that just plain works without tons of fuss, throw down the extra cash and get one of these you will not be sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread