Replacing the 510 in an RX200... Fairly easy actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Looking on the FDV site, they make a V4 "low profile, short" model 510 that is 12.5mm from from the top of the top cap to the plunger capture nut, versus 14mm on the regular model. This should increase clearance from the bottom of the 510 to the board edge. Looking at the photos of the installed 510, there's a good thread and a half left below the the jam nut (unless that is the short model, of course). And perhaps drilling and tapping the mod top m10 x 1 would obviate using the jam nut at all. And what do you guys think about placing a 1mm thick x 14mm ID o-ring under the 510, for those who want the connector to stand proud of the casing? That would be just the size to fit outside the two ridges in the atty well. Might seal the connector hole against those rassinfrackin' bottom air drippers that like to puke juice on you mod...

Reactions: dcfluegel

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Well, that IS the short model... you could tap the hole for the 510 to thread into, but the metal really isnt to think so there wouldnt be much thread there. hence me using the jam nut on it. and the idea about the Oring is actually a pretty good one. either that or epoxy, but then it kinda becomes permanaent.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
You literally said it IS the short one, then followed up with "I used the standard 22mm", which is not the short one. Looking for clarification not snarky replies.

Ah, I see your confusion... When I said standard 22mm, I was responding to someone that had asked me if I had used a 14mm 510. when building mods the "Standard" seems to be the 22mm 510's and that is what I was referring to.

Reactions: KayP

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Just so you all know, I just tried to fit a standard size v5 FDV in an RX. the bottom of the shaft thread hits the board. I could probably dremel away a little material on the shaft, but why should I when I know the LP and short model fits with out doing that. Or I may stick a washer under the 510 deck to make it stand proud like my other one does, but I was trying to sit it flush with the top of the mod.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    ... but I was trying to sit it flush with the top of the mod.
    Thanks for blazing the trail for us Noob. How did you file down the top, like just a dremel, or a needle file? The more details the better. I've got some silicone wire on the way, and waiting for fatdaddy to come out with the colored 510's in a shorty

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2015
    DC Metro area
    This one I removed the factory grooved mounts for the stock 510 to slide into. I keep having issues with my 510 nut coming a little loose after removing attys a bunch. getting tired of taking it all apart each time to tighten it. Im also going to put a dab of epoxy on it to...

I used a dremel with a high speed steel cutting bit to grind away the material inside.

Reactions: dshuld

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2015
    DC Metro area
    And the latest...

This one has Orings under the deck... 1mm thick. one in the center tight around the 510 shaft, and a larger 22mm one that sits under the outer edge to keep any drips or errant juice from getting under it. Put a little locktite and epoxy over the nut on the underside to keep it from loosening. now its all boxed up and ready to go to its owner on Saturday.

oh and the 510 is centered... tat first pic its just the angle that makes it look off.

Forge64

Feb 22, 2016
    Lo there, new here, been lurking, and I'm curious; you mentioned doing this for someone else, and I'm a little North of you, my RX200 is working great for now, but if I needed to do this, would you be interested, and roughly what would I be looking at for costs? I can solder a little, but your work looks really clean and pro, and that's something I value highly in high amperage devices that I use near my face.

Excellent work, and great pictures, btw. Thanks for that. I'll probably just use mine as-is until there are issues, but it's nice to see things redone better than new, and yours is a great guide if I end up trying it myself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread