Rig Mod Explodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedeHawn

Apr 28, 2016
image.jpg
image.jpg
So my local community has been up in arms lately due to a tube exploding. I'll fill you in on the details as I understand them and have been verified by multiple people close the the explosion.

Day of a cloud comp, local shop is hosting three comps one of which is a .1 Tube Class. A few hours before the comp is scheduled to begin a customer in the shop asks an employee for help. His mod won't fire.

Employee takes the Rig w/ roughneck and disassembles it to remove battery and check the atomizer ohms. Clapton that reads at a .17 without any issues. Receives new battery from the customer(half-wrap MXJO) and assembles mod to check for connection and firing issues.

Employee pressed the button and the mod explodes near instantaneously(a few seconds without firing while he was checking for the coil to heat up) shooting the button out of the bottom and through part of his hand.

So, that night and for the following few days the entire community starts bashing this individual online, for having a build below what they say is the max cont. amp limits of this battery. They scream that it was just too low and everyone should be building higher! A .21 would've been safe! (Regardless of the fact it wasn't his) Which caused it to explode like that. People bring up shorts and mechanical failures and are covered in memes and .... talking until they leave the group.

People try to address that this incident is suddenly being used to fuel someone else's passion for raising limits and promoting mass hysteria not teaching safety.

Shops begin changing their build limits to base everything off 20A limits. People continue to cry and say comps need to be done with forever. Any discussion not between those of a like mind with this side is immediately turned abusive and screaming if "IT WAS BUILT TOO LOW" drowns out what I believe to be the real issue here.

So here I am, asking for outside opinions. I've tried posting and people are so locked into their side of the argument nobody cares what really happened or why.

What are your thoughts?

Feel free to ask questions and I will explain further or elaborate as required.

*note: the employee is alive and well, he may have some small nerve damage on the pink side of his hand*

MedeHawn

Apr 28, 2016
Which is...?
Sorry I missed something, when he fired it he had the chuff cap and sleeve off, and said he hit the button twice, the second time being when it exploded the instant he pressed it down with nothing getting hot or warm.

That there was a short of some kind. Not that a .17 is dangerously low and prone to instant explosions.

Reactions: beckdg

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
there was a short of some kind. Not that a .17 is dangerously low and prone to instant explosions.
I'm like, 99.987% certain that this is what happened. 0.17 is low, but not "instant-explosion" low. Even at full charge that's only 24.7 amps. Above the limit, yes, but not by very much. I would expect that the battery might get uncomfortably hot if you pushed it that hard but for a full-on explosion it would probably have to heat up for several minutes before it attained thermal runaway. That's a lot riskier than I would care to be, but there are others who do this kind of thing every day and yet remain unscathed.

On the other hand, the Rig is a pinless or "fake-hybrid" mod, an entire class of device known for being plagued with just this kind of safety issues. Center pin doesn't stick out far enough? Boom! Wrench the atty down a little too tight when attaching? Kablooey! Miss a thread and the 510 goes in a little crooked? You get the idea...

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I'm like, 99.987% certain that this is what happened. 0.17 is low, but not "instant-explosion" low. Even at full charge that's only 24.7 amps. Above the limit, yes, but not by very much. I would expect that the battery might get uncomfortably hot if you pushed it that hard but for a full-on explosion it would probably have to heat up for several minutes before it attained thermal runaway. That's a lot riskier than I would care to be, but there are others who do this kind of thing every day and yet remain unscathed.

On the other hand, the Rig is a pinless or "fake-hybrid" mod, an entire class of device known for being plagued with just this kind of safety issues. Center pin doesn't stick out far enough? Boom! Wrench the atty down a little too tight when attaching? Kablooey! Miss a thread and the 510 goes in a little crooked? You get the idea...
This!
And insufficient venting.

MrDripper

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2015
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Explain 'half-wrap'...does this mean that only half of the battery was wrapped?
If this is the case, there's your culprit. If there's no barrier between the battery body and the inside of the tube, it will most definitely cayuse a short and explode.
In tube comps that I'm in, the build limit is never lower than .08. This is the Canadian Cloud Circuit maximum lowest resistance and followed by every shop that holds a competition. Of course, some go higher than .08 but never lower. This establishes a safe limit for everyone to follow.
Hope the employee recovers 100%.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Actually, the Rig is a true hybrid. Not a pinless mod like a SMPL. I know, I use one daily.
Only if you use a hybrid atty. the rig V2 comes with a screw in hybrid style topcap. functionally the same as the SMPL if using a standard 510 atty.
The rig V1 had a top center pin.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I suspect the mod began auto firing as soon as the employee installed the battery, not when the button was pushed. It would have failed eventually, whether the employee was holding it and pressing the button or not. The reason: combination of the hybrid connector and the atty, where the center pin didn't extend beyond the 510 threads.
Just my theory.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
So it seems everyone here already agrees it was a short not the build? Wow, unexpectedly quick.

Robert I don't know for sure the battery didn't survive.

What is a "half wrap" battery?
Who used this term?

We dont have enough information to determine what happened yet.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
In tube comps that I'm in, the build limit is never lower than .08. This is the Canadian Cloud Circuit maximum lowest resistance and followed by every shop that holds a competition. Of course, some go higher than .08 but never lower. This establishes a safe limit for everyone to follow.
Hope that is not when using a single battery in a mech mod.
Explain 'half-wrap'...does this mean that only half of the battery was wrapped?
What is a "half wrap" battery?
Who used this term?
The wrap is half yellow and half silver.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Yep after further reading my guess was the battery was installed upside down and the wrapper was damaged.

Batteries vent from the top (+) pole.
Due to improper installation and a possible damaged wrapper,
Battery began to swell, blocked the tube, vented from the top (bottom of mod) and ejected the switch.
Careless/improper installation of the battery would be the cause, imho.

It ticks all the boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread