Rigmod Hotcig Squonk RSQ 80W Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Can anyone tell me if the silver model is painted or bare metal? Some kind of sandblasted finish? Thanks
I don't think it's painted. Its extremely smooth, appears to be some type of anodized finish possibly. It does look like a bead blasted type of finish. Not sure about the colored ones, never seen them in person.

For a non shiny finish, mine liked fingerprints though. Not sure how scratch resistant it will be long term, but looks like a nice finish out of the box.

If USPS tracking is right, I'll have mine back tomorrow. Can't wait.

Reactions: ModBox

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Hooray, MVS came through. Got my replacement RSQ today (silver) and this one works!!!

Might be a day or two until I get to it (job interviews, working on my resume, etc). Want to make sure I have some time to dedicate to it the first day of use.

Anyways, was planning on running it with a Wasp Nano I recently built and was going to use as my first squonk rda. Just realized though the squonk pin is slotted, not a hex pin.

Is this going to leak a lot of juice? I know the hex pin won't make a great seal either since there's no gasket on the pin itself, but is the slotted pin on the wasp going to make a mess in my RSQ?

Maybe I'm thinking too much. Am I just showing I'm a squonk newbie? lol

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Hooray, MVS came through. Got my replacement RSQ today (silver) and this one works!!!

Might be a day or two until I get to it (job interviews, working on my resume, etc). Want to make sure I have some time to dedicate to it the first day of use.

Anyways, was planning on running it with a Wasp Nano I recently built and was going to use as my first squonk RDA. Just realized though the squonk pin is slotted, not a hex pin.

Is this going to leak a lot of juice? I know the hex pin won't make a great seal either since there's no gasket on the pin itself, but is the slotted pin on the wasp going to make a mess in my RSQ?

Maybe I'm thinking too much. Am I just showing I'm a squonk newbie? lol
    No won't make a difference.
    A hex is ideal, but not necessary. The threads do the sealing.
    You should see some of the ways we converted attys to squonk before it became mainstream.
    Grinding slots along the sides of the hammered out pin, or cutting a groove in the insulator, were common.
    If you get any leaking you can use a drip tip o-ring over the atty 510.

score69

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    No won't make a difference.
    A hex is ideal, but not necessary. The threads do the sealing.
    You should see some of the ways we converted attys to squonk before it became mainstream.
    Grinding slots along the sides of the hammered out pin, or cutting a groove in the insulator, were common.
    If you get any leaking you can use a drip tip o-ring over the atty 510.
    Thanks for not making me regret I asked. It's obvious I've never squonked huh? :D

Was mostly worried about juice leaking down into the mod, but I guess that would just be a part of squonking and the 510s should be OK with it since they are designed to be used that way.

All right, so I've got my Wasp and mod ready to go. Just have a busy few days and would like to either start on a weekend, or I day where I'm not busy since I'm sure it will take a bit of getting used to. Really looking forward to it. The silver RSQ looks really good with the Wasp Nano on it. :hubba:

Appreciate all of the feedback and help.

Reactions: puffon

score69

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    DJlsb did a underwater test on the Hotcig R200

Hopefully they used the same waterproofing on this board.

That's what I was wondering. So we know Hotcig did this with the R200, but haven't seen it stating anywhere the same thing was done with the RSQ 80w. I think we're all just assuming that.

You would think if they did it with the R200, they would do it with the RSQ as well since it's a squonker. I'm not going to try it with mine, lol.

Wondering too with juice and water having slightly different surface tension characteristics, than water, some e-liquids have different ingredients/flavorings. It's possible they could damage the board more quickly then water (remember tank cracker juices)? E-liquid that leaks inside is going to 'stick around' a lot long than water would too I'm pretty sure. Would be interesting to test some of this.

Would be great if all boards were better protected, not being close to the 510, etc. I've had a leak overnight once that ended up causing a mod to start firing on it's own. Luckily, the other half woke me up and I was able to remove the battery once I realized what was going on. Mod was toast at that point, and I learned to remove my batteries overnight. I do this now, even if I don't have a tank on the mod. Figure the electronics can fail pretty quickly if you get some juice inside and the board isn't protected.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Reactions: b.m.
    Just got my RSQ today and set it up. First squonk mod and really enjoying it so far.

One question I do have is I have managed to connect and update the frimware via the HM tools software. However I have tried to change the preheat settings to come on for 2 seconds and clicked update settings. It goes through the update process at the top of the screen says it's done and also the device restarts.

However when I actually use the device it doesn't seem to do any preheat just stays at the wattage that is set on the screen.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    • Winner
    Reactions: mackman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread