Salem's Kitchen - Share Your Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infernal2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
The Oil Coast, AL
I know I may have talked about "cat head biscuits" before. I use to make these for DH with some hot sausage milk gravy. Yummy!
“Cat Head” Biscuits | AppalachianFolk

This thread was pointed out to me from another cooking one in the Outside. That recipe is pretty much the same recipe my family has been using as long as I remember and I can't stress enough the importance of using lard and buttermilk (stay away from yoghurt in this recipe unless you replace a quarter of it with cream cheese). Catheads are awesome, especially with some Virginia ham or gravy.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
MeMaw's Nanner Pudding

Things you will need

Steep heavy sauce pan
2 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue topping)
1.5 cans evaporated milk
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 box of vanilla wafers
1 large bunch of bananas
4 qt glass baking dish (I use square Corning Ware dish with lid)

Layer vanilla wafers and bananas in glass baking dish. Set aside.
Combine first 4 ingredients (1 1/2 cups sugar) in heavy saucepan. Heat over medium high heat, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Continue cooking until mixture thickens. Pour mixture over the layered bananas and vanilla wafers. Let cool for about 1 hour.

Use the reserved egg whites and mixer to beat until they are firm and white. Add about 1/4 cup of sugar while blending. Top the banana pudding with meringue. Place in over under broil until the meringue turns slightly brown.

Enjoy :)

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
My brother just called & asked me to resend him this old bean recipe, so I thought I'd share it here too. It's pretty yummy! You can add hot sauce if you like it more spicy than sweet.
Calico Beans;

Bacon about 10 to 12 slices
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium sized chopped onion
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 cans pork and beans UNdrained (16 or 20 oz cans)
1 can lima beans or butter beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vinegar

Brown bacon, ground beef, and chopped onions.
Combine drained ground beef mixture in
slow cooker with remaining ingredients;
cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours or all day.
OR - you can bake it in a casserole dish at 350 for an hour.

tgcrna

Tink
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Techno said the recipe better be here, so here it is! (I'm a little afraid of making her mad)

One pound of sausage (I use 'hot')
One pound of cheddar cheese (I use 'sharp' and grate it myself)
3 C bisquick

Mix by hand (messy and time consuming) and roll into bite-size balls (they swell when you cook them, so don't roll them too big) Put on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 10-15 min (I cook mine for 12 minutes). Yield: around 10 or 11 dozen, depending on how big you make them.

Not a 'gourmet' recipe, by any means. But they are good and easy to make :)

SecondChance

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2010
Moody, Texas
Ok guys a Quick and Easy Holiday Candy!!

Peanut Clusters

36 oz. or 3 cans of Redskin Peanuts ( sometimes called Spanish Peanuts )
2 Packages of Almond Bark
24 oz. of Nestles Chocolate Chips

Melt Almond Bark and Chocolate Chips in an oven safe pot at 180 degrees until melted and mix together well, add peanuts and stir again till well mixed.

Spoon onto wax paper, Teaspoon size for smaller candy...or Tablespoon size if you want bigger ones... they will flatten out similar to a cookie, let cool and enjoy!! Very nice blend of salty peanuts with a sweet chocolate coating, the almond bark will set the chocolate firm. You can also spoon into the mini cupcake papers made for candy if you prefer.

Makes several dozen....it is a bunch!! :blink:

This is a family tradition that we make every year at this time!! And it is a big hit with all!!

SC :)

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
This is an extremely easy recipe to do and people think that you "slaved" over it.

Lazy Girl Pie

1/2 cup butter
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (20 ounce) can peach slices in heavy syrup (or any other fruit you like. This is very good with a mix of blackberries and peaches!)

Directions:

Pre heat oven to 350.
place stick of butter in 9x13 size casserole pan and let sit in oven during preheating to melt butter.
Mix flour, sugar, milk and vanilla with blender until well mixed.
Pour batter over melted butter.
Pour fruit and juice evenly over batter. (My husband prefers more bread, less juice so I drain half.).
Bake for 1 hour.
Serve warm with ice cream.

I've cooked this for crowds and it's super simple to adjust the ingredients and the baking pan size.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread