Status
Not open for further replies.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I disagree.
May I digress? 30Q full steam ahead. I bought 100 to attest the quality of those batteries. I have them EVERYWHERE. When I run out of them, who knows what will be available.

Plus, they're pink :)

Last edited:

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
That was my LG experience. They drop drastically with a few charges. Enough so that against my NCR-B (I think that was the 3000mAh Panasonic) I questioned whether they were even close to 3000mAh.
25R drops some in the first week but not drastically and then they last.

I think I'll call around next week and see if I can find 30Q locally.
Another good battery I'm testing as of now, I bought it as a test, is the purpe Efest, 3000 mAh. It's about the same performance, I've had it for a week. These are available locally, since it's a problem to have good batteries in Buenos Aires

Efest Metallic Purple 15A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...accurately rated 15A, looks like 30Q

Reactions: Myk

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
May I digress? 30Q full steam ahead. I bought 100 to attest the quality of those batteries. I have them EVERYWHERE. When I run out of them, who knows what will be available.

Plus, they're pink :)
No problem. :thumb:

I have almost a dozen of them in rotation, so as they start needing replacing, I will try something else. They just work so good with my current equipment, I want to keep using them. :D

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
And that is where tests fail. The reason I don't go local and get the LGs is because their capacity drops very fast. Then you're stuck with long charge times and less run time for more money.
Longevity is also an issue to be considered. In my experience the LG turds don't have it, 25R green do. So in that sentence you are telling me 25R are worth getting since you say HG2 is better when I know from experience it isn't in the long run.

:confused: You just got done saying 20S for everyone because it's what suits you.
Since I am exclusively TC I'm at 10a or slightly less for a split second, the rest of the time I'm in the low single digits. So should I pay extra for that hard hitting wonder batt with less run time or should I pay extra for mAh? Or should I pay less for good enough that lasts for years?

Since 30Q can do 20a and I trust Samsung to make a long lasting battery that sounds like a good newer battery for me that would be worth the extra $1 to try. Not the 20S.
Even if you scratch the HG2 off of that list I gave, then there's still 4 cells on it so my point is still valid anyway after all. As for the 20S, of course it isn't better for everyone, but that was not my point, as my point was that, regardless of how many amps you draw, there's always going to be at least one cell that outperforms the 25R so if none of the cells that outperform it at the amps you draw are available to you for a reasonable price (or if the price difference means that you have to eat top ramen for a week), then it makes proper sense to still get the 25R. Else, probably not so much, as I really don't see how saving maybe like 3 cents per day can be worth a noticeable sacrifice in performance if you're not painfully strapped for cash. A higher CDR also means added safety as well as added longevity because the battery runs cooler. Even if you only draw as little as 5A per cell, the Panasonic NCR18650GA is still going to be a better choice than the 25R. Above 7A per cell, VTC6 or 30Q. Above 15A and you don't want the HG2? VTC5D. There's just not a single amp range in which the 25R doesn't get outperformed by at least one 18650 cell.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
tenor.gif

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin
This discussion is funny. On the one hand we have people here that are using mech mods, others regulated mods. Few would vape at 20W, the other at 120W etc. It is like comparing bananas with apples. :D
Furthermore one point that is not mentioned and can be important will be the quality (efficiency) of the regulated mod you use.
In some mods the 30W on the display is greater than on the others, means that the feeling of vaping is different from one mod to the other. So you can assume generally that VTC5A in a lower quality of Mod A would give you less power than 25R in a better quality Mod B.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
This discussion is funny. On the one hand we have people here that are using mech mods, others regulated mods. Few would vape at 20W, the other at 120W etc. It is like comparing bananas with apples. :D
Furthermore one point that is not mentioned and can be important will be the quality (efficiency) of the regulated mod you use.
In some mods the 30W on the display is greater than on the others, means that the feeling of vaping is different from one mod to the other. So you can assume generally that VTC5A in a lower quality of Mod A would give you less power than 25R in a better quality Mod B.
If we can assume your regulated mod has 90% efficiency and a voltage cut-off of 3.2V, going down below about 18A or 19A is where the 3000mAh batteries (HG2, 30Q, VTC6) start to gradually become the choice that will give you more run time than the VTC5A. So within the range of 10A to 20A, let's have a look at the worst performing one of that bunch, the HG2, and see how it fares against the 25R in terms of watt-hours. At 20A, the HG2 delivers about 14.5% more watt-hours than the 25R. At 15A, the HG2 delivers about 16.8% more watt-hours than the 25R. At 10A, about 17.5% more watt-hours. Before the better quality of Mod B can even begin to make up for the 14.5% gap, Mod A would have to be described as being a relic from the past and a worthless piece of complete garbage even by those old standards.

Some people talk about the VTC5A as if it somehow validates their point about the 25R, but the reality is that, around 18A or 19A, the VTC5A runs for at least a whole dozen percent longer than the 25R. In addition, the VTC5A runs at a lower temperature so it's safer and it ages slower. Also in addition, at 15A the HG2 delivers almost 17% more watt-hours than the 25R so, at or below 15A, both the 30Q and the VTC6 are going to seriously mop the floor with the 25R in every possible way excepting only the "top ramen for a week and so on" part.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Pls. take a look at Mooch Video on youtube:

30W / 3.2V / 0.9 = 10.4A
20W / 3.2V / 0.9 = 6.95A

The display does not refer to the current withdrawn from the battery directly.

Not in a variable or TC mod, but the draw from the mod's display renders a usable number that indicates draw from combined current consumed the mod's circuitry and the coil attached. The mod powers the coil, not the battery. I understand it.

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin
Maybe I belong to a minority, but I don´t know anyone personally, that vape with more than 40W.
But frankly speaking, I believe that I belong to the silent majority that don´t even require any of those Power-Tool batteries.
I don´t know the statistics, can´t just tell for my environment of friends, and acquaintances...They go to retail shops and the seller tell them to buy all those High-Discharge batteries.
I vape a day and a half with the INR18650-35E...no VTC5A, 25R, HG2 and 35E reach such a run time at my 20W SWAG :D

Reactions: Rossum

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Going back to when 18650s were fairly new to vaping.

But it tests better.
That's not real life.
But it tests better.
This is the puff count I get how I vape on the two. It may test better but it's not better for ME and my vaping.
But it tests better.

Tests are not real life. They do not test actual puffs on an ecig. They test continual drain. They do not test through a battery's lifetime.

25R is not unsafe. That is what matters.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Going back to when 18650s were fairly new to vaping.

But it tests better.
That's not real life.
But it tests better.
This is the puff count I get how I vape on the two. It may test better but it's not better for ME and my vaping.
But it tests better.

Tests are not real life. They do not test actual puffs on an ecig. They test continual drain. They do not test through a battery's lifetime.

25R is not unsafe. That is what matters.
Back in the day they were the best batteries for regulated mods. Decent mAh, decent amp, they were very versatile. I hate non regulated mods, I want my vape to be the same from start to end. I can tell, even on a regulated mod when the battery is draining because even on a regulated mod it gets weaker. I have a DNA and a Yihi and only those regulate well. The Joyetech eVic Mini gets weak when you have a 25R and it's in the middle. No sag, but weak. I vape around 5v, which is a lot for the battery and the mod.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Back in the day they were the best batteries for regulated mods. Decent mAh, decent amp, they were very versatile. I hate non regulated mods, I want my vape to be the same from start to end. I can tell, even on a regulated mod when the battery is draining because even on a regulated mod it gets weaker. I have a DNA and a Yihi and only those regulate well. The Joyetech eVic Mini gets weak when you have a 25R and it's in the middle. No sag, but weak. I vape around 5v, which is a lot for the battery and the mod.

I don't notice a drop on the VTC minis in TC but I do see weak battery early with old 25R. Just for kicks I threw a VTC5 in one to see what it does.
VTC5, highly hyped because it tests the best, yet I hated it in actual use even in mechs.
CGRs, which "tested best" used in my Vamo/gennie for tasting still have a very poor life.

• Agree
Reactions: Susaz

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I don't notice a drop on the VTC minis in TC but I do see weak battery early with old 25R. Just for kicks I threw a VTC5 in one to see what it does.
VTC5, highly hyped because it tests the best, yet I hated it in actual use even in mechs.
CGRs, which "tested best" used in my Vamo/gennie for tasting still have a very poor life.
One of the things with my builds is that I'm around 0,5/0,6 and put that at 30w. I need to start building lower. It's a lot for a single battery mod.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Maybe I belong to a minority, but I don´t know anyone personally, that vape with more than 40W.
But frankly speaking, I believe that I belong to the silent majority that don´t even require any of those Power-Tool batteries.
I don´t know the statistics, can´t just tell for my environment of friends, and acquaintances...They go to retail shops and the seller tell them to buy all those High-Discharge batteries.
I vape a day and a half with the INR18650-35E...no VTC5A, 25R, HG2 and 35E reach such a run time at my 20W SWAG :D
Technically speaking I don't really require any of those Power-Tool batteries either. But that's just because all my friends call me Gandalf. :D

666.jpg

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
As luck would have it, I decided to retire two of my woman's batteries today. They were some Old Skool VTC5s I had handed down to her for regulated use after they got old enough I wanted to replace them for mech usage; naturally I rewrapped them pink for her, to match her mod. Care to guess what 20A cells RTD had cheapest today?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
suprtrkr wrote As luck would have it, I decided to retire two of my woman's batteries today. They were some Old Skool VTC5s I had handed down to her for regulated use after they got old enough I wanted to replace them for mech usage; naturally I rewrapped them pink for her, to match her mod. Care to guess what 20A cells RTD had cheapest today?

When I was there, the clearance page was selling Trustfires for $2.99. 30A cells!!!! what a deal.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
With the Samsung 20S, maybe somewhere halfway in between 2.80 and 2.85 ohms it might realistically go up to 24V. The highest I've built so far (and vaped) was a dual coil build at 1.33 ohms with the VTC5A on a 4-battery stack:
View attachment 757313

Sweet! I just counted the attachment tubes and guessed 6 batteries. What is is, and where can I get one?

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Sweet! I just counted the attachment tubes and guessed 6 batteries. What is is, and where can I get one?
Vaperz Cloud XXX mod, and, I have 5 extensions on it so your guess is correct. Online stores such as cloudypeakvapes, generationv, evcigarettes, skyvapeaz,... still have this stuff available it seems.

Reactions: suprtrkr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread