Sarcasm : Vaping gives you pneumonia and brain damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

WerkzINC2017

Oct 16, 2017
Lol sorry I had to.. The amount of complete garbage I have heard people tell me about vaping just makes me sick. Sometimes I want to just smack them.... Blah literally I have heard some of the craziest stuff I don't even know how to come back with an answer to them it stopped me in my tracks the crap people just make up and believe in their own head. Wondering what other crazy stories and stuff you guys have heard. Literally last week my roommate was asking me why I vape and said dude you can get really bad pneumonia from vaping. I always hear people say to me yeah well cigarettes they thought were good for you too.. but it's the future stuff can be tested a lot better then whenever the hell the stinkies came out.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
I was at a party for my wife's work. She works with doctors. And my wife and I was vaping. A doctor comes outside with us and lights up. He tells me that vaping is bad. I look at him and look away. He starts to try to tell me that vapor has many more chemicals than cigarette smoke and that he would rather recommend his patients continue to smoke than to vape. He also said that if I was interested, he had a better solution if we wanted to get off smoking and vaping.

I gave him a very sincere interested look and told him to explain it all to me. I didn't listen to a word he said and about 10 seconds into his spiel, I just turned and walked away. Learned a little while later from another fellow vaper at the party that the doctor gets kickbacks from Chantix.

WerkzINC2017

Oct 16, 2017
It's not even possible to tell if someone that they're wrong cuz they just won't believe it. it's so funny people say there's so many chemicals in The Vape that we don't know about and everything even though there's just PG and VG and flavor but in their head there's all these magical mythical chemicals that only they know about. I so bad want to go to and show them all ingredients on the bottle but no one's going to listen when they know what they're talking about

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Smoking doctors tend to be avidly anti-vaping.
Vaping doctors usually UNDERSTAND the whole addictive mechanism of smoking, but are pro-vape LOL.

I wish I could say that vaping gave me pneumonia, except I had it for 18 months on and off while smoking, and I'm creeping up toward 4 months, here, and I haven't gotten pneumonia once, (even with a cold, even with everything else) so, ah, no.

I wonder if the doctor is so pro Chantix, why he doesn't take it himself? He's not the greatest walking advertisement for his product. I'm afraid I would have pointed that out to his FACE, repeatedly, :lol::lol::lol:, until he gave up in disgust.

With that said, I understand your wife has to work there. :D

Anna

Ha. Forgot the brain damage, I thought it was Co2 that did that, to the point that you can die (I'm talking suicidal actions, not smoking over the long haul, though the fact that inhaling Co2 is a popular suicide method should give any smoker pause, though it certainly didn't me).

Of course (my opinion only!) taking Chantix is potentially suicidal as well.

My takeaway is that is sounds like a really fun party. :lol::lol:

Anna

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
I wouldn't want that guy as my doctor. Who knows what other dumb beliefs he may have formed.

Had I known he was slinging Chantix, I should have told him I was vaping a liquified form of it to cure of me my disease.

But seriously, this guy was a total douche.

I have plenty of stories of people who are totally misinformed about vaping

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Smoking doctors tend to be avidly anti-vaping.
Vaping doctors usually UNDERSTAND the whole addictive mechanism of smoking, but are pro-vape LOL.

I wish I could say that vaping gave me pneumonia, except I had it for 18 months on and off while smoking, and I'm creeping up toward 4 months, here, and I haven't gotten pneumonia once, (even with a cold, even with everything else) so, ah, no.

I wonder if the doctor is so pro Chantix, why he doesn't take it himself? He's not the greatest walking advertisement for his product. I'm afraid I would have pointed that out to his FACE, repeatedly, :lol::lol::lol:, until he gave up in disgust.

With that said, I understand your wife has to work there. :D

Anna

Ha. Forgot the brain damage, I thought it was Co2 that did that, to the point that you can die (I'm talking suicidal actions, not smoking over the long haul, though the fact that inhaling Co2 is a popular suicide method should give any smoker pause, though it certainly didn't me).

Of course (my opinion only!) taking Chantix is potentially suicidal as well.

My takeaway is that is sounds like a really fun party. :lol::lol:

Anna

Oh the party was fantastic. All I need to say about it is... OPEN BAR. It was an appreciation party that each year a rotation of 3 or 4 doctors pay for out of their own pocket. I believe that party was partly sponsored by that doctor. If it was, I contributed to that very hefty bar tab. I had 5 Macallan 18yr Single Malts on the rocks, 3 shots of Don Julio 1942, and 4 Four Roses Old Fashioned.

annyway

Sep 30, 2017
Fürth / Germany
It just really rubs me the wrong way that no one wants to listen to facts. They rather believe in horror stories.

Like two weeks ago an elder man came up to me and asked: 'Young Lady, don't you know how bad that is for you?' I started stating facts but he immediately waved his hand right in my face so I told him instead: 'Well sir, I wish you a happy life with your ignorant mindset.', went away and shrugged it off.

It's not worth to waste time and energy if people just don't want to know the truth. On the other hand if someone is interested I'm more than happy to tell everything I know.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Recently I had to start training a new to me doctor (my previous one retired). When I told this one that I quit smoking almost 6 years ago but am now vaping.
His first response to that was "you do know what in in that don't you"?.
My response "yes I do since I make my own e-liquid".
He came back with "but you are still using the stuff used to make antifreeze" :facepalm:
My response "yep, I know that but do you realize that the poison ingredient in antifreeze has been replaced with one that is no longer poison"?
End of discussion....The next time I saw him he asked again about smoking...I reminded him that I vape. He said, oh right, we talked about that. Nothing more needed to be said. :D He also tried to have me start taking Prolia infusions and cholesterol meds. I refused both offers. Just goes to show that some doctors just think they know every thing. Sounds like you interacted with one with his head in the sand or in his pharmaceutical reps pocket.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Doesn't how people respond to vaping give you incredible pause, about everything? I mean, if you look at the media and politician smear tactics and how willing some people are to believe in them, it gets kind of crazy. What else are they lying about (everything)? And who believes them (many people?)

Ugh, I can't think too much more about this, it makes my head hurt. I get that there's a natural self-selection but it still makes my head ache, thank God for the most part the people I interact with routinely aren't total ....... Sigh. I'm talking about my friends and family, I mean.

But... it really gets scary, and it's a good thing that my husband finds conspiracy theory both funny and informative (much as I adore cults) since I think I'm headed in that direction. Thanks there, non-vapers, thanks a lot.

It's not even the blind sheep thing that gets me but the REFUSAL on many folks parts to even LISTEN to any other information. I guess some people's brains only learn "new" information with much effort and there are only room for a certain amount of "ideas" and certainly not conflicting ones.... That would be way too hard. I guess even if you get through calculus and med-school, you can be a closed minded idiot.

I think that's enough out of me on this topic,

Anna

annyway

Sep 30, 2017
Fürth / Germany
@stols001 Anna, thinking about that is pretty scary. For me at least. We just had elections a while back in germany and I was (am) horrified. People are so ignorant, short sighted and blatantly dumb.

Actually I had an unpleasant discussion about vaping with some guy on our second date. The way he didn't want to listen made me believe he is closed minded in general.

Guess when we had our third date..... right, never happend, never will :D

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Doesn't how people respond to vaping give you incredible pause, about everything? I mean, if you look at the media and politician smear tactics and how willing some people are to believe in them, it gets kind of crazy. What else are they lying about (everything)? And who believes them (many people?)

Ugh, I can't think too much more about this, it makes my head hurt. I get that there's a natural self-selection but it still makes my head ache, thank God for the most part the people I interact with routinely aren't total ....... Sigh. I'm talking about my friends and family, I mean.

But... it really gets scary, and it's a good thing that my husband finds conspiracy theory both funny and informative (much as I adore cults) since I think I'm headed in that direction. Thanks there, non-vapers, thanks a lot.

It's not even the blind sheep thing that gets me but the REFUSAL on many folks parts to even LISTEN to any other information. I guess some people's brains only learn "new" information with much effort and there are only room for a certain amount of "ideas" and certainly not conflicting ones.... That would be way too hard. I guess even if you get through calculus and med-school, you can be a closed minded idiot.

I think that's enough out of me on this topic,

Anna

The Doctor I encountered was in his 50s. Not to knock on older people, but a lot of them are "set in their ways". I know for myself, it is getting tougher and tougher to accept some of the newer things the millennials are doing these days.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
You too??? What a coincidence. Thought I was the only one. I’ve been using a backscratcher fo get relief. :rolleyes:

My teeth "backscratcher"

Product-Detail-Toothbrush-ColgateWaveZigZag-Thumb.png

Reactions: 1 person

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
LOL, I agree on the millennials and it will be interesting to see what they make of society, for sure.

Anna, was that the election with the daughter of that crazy ........ chick, who came close to winning? (You can thank John Oliver for that one). Yes, I completely agree with you.

What horrifies me now about society generally, is that there is so much "information" out there and verification becomes so problematic. I mean, of course people want their views supported with "facts" even made up facts, I think we all have that tendency. What DOES bother me is the lack of reasoned discourse that used to take place, that no longer takes place. I think with the flood of "information" it can be so hard to keep up, that an &%^&* Twitter.

Well, I remember college fondly. Most of my guy friends made up a lot of the Conservative Movement in my very liberal arts college, and we got along famously by respecting each other's beliefs, and learning from them, most likely, as well, and our LBGT movement was a dedicated dorm that was a lot of fun. You could go hang out and have a good time without fear of using the wrong terminology on a person, and they'd gently correct you, not pitch a fit on national television for days.... Twice a year they'd have an event where they would chalk up the campus with positive gay and etc. messages and hand out chalk so that folks could add to them, with a party at the end of the day.

That does so much more for bigotry generally than just being shrill, hateful, and violent. I have gotten so that I really don't want a "transitioning" pal, not due to the TRANSITION, but because I have to walk on eggshells around them and their friends, and it's not enjoyable. I really also get the impression that many of them don't "want" friends that are of hetronormic gender (I refuse to use the word they created for my gender, sorry, I just can't.)

Somewhere along the way, we lost sight of the fact that we can have fun, the wrong word is NOT always deliberate hate speech, and that being fun, kind, and an excellent role model does a heck of a lot more to change a person's mind than what is being enacted today, and I have to say, I miss those days, because things did seem a lot simpler in many ways, and I saw less racial and other "-ism" separation than I do now.

Heck, I think a lot of white folks are afraid to use the term black, even to just describe a person. I am not, but I grew up around and worked with a lot of black folk and one of my dearest long term black pals informed me I was "officially inducted into being black," which I took as a great compliment. I do share some attributes with your stereotypical black woman, actually, and acknowledging a legit stereotype isn't racist, despite what many generations actually believe...

This is why I just try to keep using my vape and being positive if I run into someone hateful. There is no point my being hateful (though I get tempted) and the best thing I can possibly do is be informative and gentle in my presentation of the information, and walk away. Sigh.

Sorry to be off topic, but I think it does all relate to vaping. I mean, I'm not thrilled about the low nic cigarettes either, I think that's a horrible thing to do to an elderly smoker or just a smoker, period. Education does always seem to work better than trying to shove society in whatever political direction, and heat not burn products are NOT going to be for everyone. The way things are shaping up now, I'm quite certain many people will lose.

Anna

Anna

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
The Doctor I encountered was in his 50s. Not to knock on older people, but a lot of them are "set in their ways". I know for myself, it is getting tougher and tougher to accept some of the newer things the millennials are doing these days.

I just point and laugh. :lol::lol::lol:

So many snowflakes...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

"And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same"

Cheers
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread